The Data Science Institute (DSI) is seeking a communication officer to manage internal and external communications for the Institute, and to play a key role in framing the Institute’s message. The post holder will work on a wide range of communications activities aimed at improving the Institute’s outreach and knowledge transfer capabilities.
The DSI launched in April 2014 as Imperial College’s fifth cross-faculty Institute. The DSI provides a focal point for multidisciplinary data-driven research, technology support for partners, and educating the next generation of data scientists.
This post is an exciting and varied opportunity to be part of the DSI’s operations team and contribute to the fast-growing Institute. The post would suit an ambitious individual with a strong communications background, including content management, editorial news development and the use of social media, and who has a keen interest in shaping future science and engineering research and policy.
Duties and responsibilities
A major aspect of the role is planning, delivering and improving digital communication services for the DSI, including websites, blogs, social media content, newsletters, digital publications and other content that promotes the work of the Institute and its affiliated staff and students.
Communications and Engagement:
- Act as a first point of contact for DSI media enquiries, working with the College’s Communications team, external media organisations, and College academics to ensure all Institute input is delivered in a timely and professional manner.
- Responsibility for the maintenance and evaluation of the DSI’s webpages to showcase the Institute and the latest work by affiliated staff and students at Imperial College London.
- Prepare suitable material for use in DSI outreach activities and internal/external briefing.
- Create engaging digital content that works for multiple platforms and publications, including infographics, video and audio, interactive tools.
- Maintain the Institute’s social media channels to engage audiences with topical issues and latest work by affiliated staff and students.
- Carry out systematic reviews of web and social media content.
- Deliver the Institute’s bi-monthly public newsletter for affiliated staff and students.
- Act as a first point of contact for public engagement activities at the Institute.
- Support the development and set up of new initiatives and projects, to include but not limited to communications support, marketing material, web support, and attendance at meetings.
- Attend DSI operations meetings and report updates on Communications and Engagement.
- Keep records of communications and engagement activities (press, events, publications, workshops etc) for reporting purposes.
- Provide administration support to the collaboration between the DSI and the ‘Imperial X’ initiative where necessary.
- Assist with raising purchasing orders where appropriate.
- Undertake any necessary training as required.
- To observe and comply with all College policies and regulations, including the key policies and procedures on Confidentiality, Conflict of Interest, Data Protection, Equal Opportunities, Financial Regulations, Health and Safety, Information Technology, Private Engagements and Register of Interests, and Smoking.
- To undertake specific safety responsibilities relevant to individual roles, as set out on the College Website Health and Safety Structure and Responsibilities page.
- Any other duties commensurate with the grade of the post as directed by the line manager / supervisor.
The post holder needs to meet the following requirements:
- A good undergraduate level degree, or equivalent qualification.
- Experience managing websites and social media accounts in a professional setting.
- Experience communicating complex, scientific and technical concepts to a diverse range of audiences.
- Experience planning and executing organisational communication strategies.
- An understanding of the academic environment, preferably gained through previous experience of working within a HEI
- Capable of conversing with experts across inter-sectorial domains
- Excellent (written and verbal) communicator: able to provide outstanding writing and editing of content for a range of formats and audiences.
- Excellent relationship development, communication and listening skills to build strong working relationships with colleagues and clients
For queries regarding the application process contact Dr Kai Sun (email@example.com).
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
Imperial College is committed to equality of opportunity and to eliminating discrimination. All employees are expected to follow the Imperial Values & Behaviours framework . Our values are:
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
We are committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment for all. We therefore encourage candidates to apply irrespective of age, disability, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion and belief, gender identity, sex, or sexual orientation. We are an Athena SWAN Silver Award winner, a Disability Confident Leader and a Stonewall Diversity Champion.
For technical issues when applying online please email firstname.lastname@example.org .