Are you an experienced and passionate leader in the public engagement sector? Do you enjoy supporting academics and students to develop their engagement skills and try new things? Are you reflective in your work, using evaluation to understand the impact of activities and identify improvements? If so, you could join our established and dynamic Public Engagement Team as the Engagement Manager (Capacity Building), working with us to support a growing culture of engagement at Imperial College London.
Imperial’s research is exciting, ground-breaking, and potentially life changing. What we do at Imperial isn’t just for the lab and the library or academic league tables. We do it for the benefit of society – it’s right there in our mission. In our engagement teams we support our staff and students to involve the public with their work, to spark conversations and build collaborations. Guided by our Societal Engagement Goals and Framework, we deliver training, coordinate networks, provide advice, and champion the value of engagement across our large and diverse College community. This position takes a leading role in this work, at an exciting time for Imperial, with growing momentum and enthusiasm for engagement across our staff and student community.
Duties and responsibilities
Join our friendly and supportive team and help staff and students to develop and deliver public engagement.
- You will manage our extensive programme of skills development for staff and students – delivering training, developing resources, and providing advice.
- You will lead a small team and together coordinate networks of staff and students involved in engagement from across the College, and manage our seed fund, awards, and all related internal communications.
- You will enable a wide range of academics to have societal impact through their work.
- You will ensure our work remains relevant and effective by evaluating all our capacity building initiatives and training programmes.
We are looking for a team leader who:
- Can bring a wealth of strategic and practical public engagement experience
- Is well-practiced at delivering training in person and online for a range of audiences.
- Is extremely supportive and personable and able to form effective relationships with a diverse range of colleagues from all levels of seniority.
- Has experience in conducting and using evaluation and experience analysing data and providing recommendations
- Has a high standard of professionalism in public engagement with attention to detail, and who is looking for a varied and central role.
This is a full-time, fixed-term maternity cover role for 13 months.
We usually appoint at the start of the salary scale.
We only accept online applications.
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
All Imperial employees are expected to follow the 7 principles of Imperial Expectations:
- Champion a positive approach to change and opportunity
- Communicate regularly and effectively within, and across, teams
- Consider the thoughts and expectations of others
- Deliver positive outcomes
- Encourage inclusive participation and eliminate discrimination
- Develop and grow skills and expertise
- Work in a planned and managed way
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
We are committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment for all. We therefore encourage candidates to apply irrespective of age, disability, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion and belief, gender identity, sex, or sexual orientation. We are an Athena SWAN Silver Award winner, a Disability Confident Leader and a Stonewall Diversity Champion.
For technical issues when applying online please email firstname.lastname@example.org .