The Data Science Institute (DSI) maintains several critical services as part of the research infrastructure available to staff. The DSI Cloud is a 100+ servers’ OpenStack infrastructure available for various research projects. This infrastructure comprises the bulk of tasks for the candidate and will require to be able to work in autonomy at our remote Slough location periodically (once a month). Along this the candidate would be taking a support role regarding two on-site equipment set (at our South Kensington Campus) You will be expected to assist in maintenance of: the DSI Cloud, the DO, and the Visual Corridor, working closely with the System and Infrastructure Operation Manager and the DO Team to ensure the smooth operation and running of the DSI infrastructure. This will require regular hardware maintenance of the equipment, OS management and scripting for task automation. Practical experience working with Debian/Ubuntu-based system with Docker (knowledge of K8s is a bonus), and LXC is required. Beginner knowledge of Windows Server and associated concepts (Active Directory, Group Policies, …) is necessary. The ideal candidate would have experience in understanding both the software and hardware aspect of managing and running a small-size private cloud.
Duties and responsibilities
- Plan and oversee the technical running of the Cloud, DO and VC.
- Allocate resources and provide technical support for students and staff to ensure that the research deadlines are met, including hardware maintenance of equipment in the DO, VC and Cloud.
- Set and monitor technical standards on the DSI equipment, including OS and hardware updates.
- Configure and maintain the Windows Server and Ubuntu OS on all machines maintained by the DSI.
- Configuration and monitoring of in-house OpenStack installation.
- Ensure accurate completion of documentation, records and reports
- Advise and assist staff and students in the development, design, preparation, construction, assembly and application of equipment, the setting up of experiments and/or deployment of particular techniques.
- Show of initiative to solve problems at a moment’s notice particularly important due to the volume of visitors (external and internal) to the DO.
- Contribute to the development of new service health check infrastructure on the cloud, GDO, VC
- Prioritise equipment maintenance and ensure working conditions on all equipment. Manage any required service or repairs.
- Communicate and liaise with the ICT department on any infrastructure update projects or ongoing college wide incidents.
- BSc in Engineering, Computer Science or related discipline (or equivalent research, industrial or commercial experience)
- Experience and knowledge on OpenStack Cloud administration
- Experience in Light-weight administration of Windows Server forest
- Experience of the deployment and commissioning of datacentre hardware
- Knowledge of Ubuntu-based operating system management
- Knowledgeable understanding of IT Security practices
- Knowledge of Docker and LXD containerisation
Via our website at https://www.imperial.ac.uk/jobs and search using vacancy reference number: ENG01564
For queries regarding the application process contact Fay Miller email@example.com
For technical issues when applying online, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date:11 March 2021
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
All Imperial employees are expected to follow the 7 principles of Imperial Expectations:
- Champion a positive approach to change and opportunity
- Communicate regularly and effectively within, and across, teams
- Consider the thoughts and expectations of others
- Deliver positive outcomes
- Encourage inclusive participation and eliminate discrimination
- Develop and grow skills and expertise
- Work in a planned and managed way
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
We are committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment for all. We therefore encourage candidates to apply irrespective of age, disability, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion and belief, gender identity, sex, or sexual orientation. We are an Athena SWAN Silver Award winner, a Disability Confident Leader and a Stonewall Diversity Champion.
For technical issues when applying online please email email@example.com .