The post is funded by COMAC and forms part of the COMAC-Imperial Research Centre for Wing Technology of Commercial Aircraft , a group of 8 projects exploring advanced technologies the next generation of commercial aircraft.
The post-holder will be required work on state-of-the-art methods for the optimisation of structural metamaterials and will also assist in the coordination of work with COMAC, including helping to write progress reports as part of the centre reporting.
Duties and responsibilities
Main duties will include:
- To develop new methods for the optimisation of structural metamaterials based on lattice unit cells, most likely considering lattice failure and post failure behaviour.
- To assist in developing the expertise within the research group in this area, and support PhD students working on related projects.
- To submit publications to refereed journals
- To assist with the writing of reports to research sponsors
- To present findings to colleagues
- To provide advice to other staff and students
- To assist with the publication of findings
- To attend relevant workshops and conferences as necessary
- To develop contacts within the College and the wider community
- To promote the reputation of the Group, the Department and the College
Those appointed at Research Associate level
Hold a PhD (or equivalent) in Engineering or a closely related discipline.
Those appointed at Research Assistant level
Near completion of a PhD (or equivalent) in Engineering or a closely related discipline.
*Candidates who have not yet been officially awarded their PhD will be appointed as Research Assistant within the salary range £36,045 – £39,183 per annum.
For both levels include
Experience of developing multiscale methods for lattice optimisation.
Experience in programming open source finite element code FENICS in a Python environment.
Experience of writing and submitting refereed journal papers and presenting at international conferences.
Ability to conduct high quality research with minimal supervision and adhering to deadlines.
Should you require any further details on the role please contact: Dr Rob Hewson ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) or Professor Spencer Sherwin email@example.com
For queries regarding the recruitment process please contact Lisa Kelly: firstname.lastname@example.org
The College is a proud signatory to the San-Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA), which means that in hiring and promotion decisions, we evaluate applicants on the quality of their work, not the journal impact factor where it is published.For more information, see https://www.imperial.ac.uk/research-and-innovation/about-imperial-research/research-evaluation/
The College believes that the use of animals in research is vital to improve human and animal health and welfare. Animals may only be used in research programmes where their use is shown to be necessary for developing new treatments and making medical advances. Imperial is committed to ensuring that, in cases where this research is deemed essential, all animals in the College’s care are treated with full respect, and that all staff involved with this work show due consideration at every level.
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
All Imperial employees are expected to follow the 7 principles of Imperial Expectations:
- Champion a positive approach to change and opportunity
- Communicate regularly and effectively within, and across, teams
- Consider the thoughts and expectations of others
- Deliver positive outcomes
- Encourage inclusive participation and eliminate discrimination
- Develop and grow skills and expertise
- Work in a planned and managed way
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
We are committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment for all. We therefore encourage candidates to apply irrespective of age, disability, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion and belief, gender identity, sex, or sexual orientation. We are an Athena SWAN Silver Award winner, a Disability Confident Leader and a Stonewall Diversity Champion.
For technical issues when applying online please email email@example.com .