This Postdoctoral Research Associate position has a one-year duration but is potentially extendable. The work scope is to investigate and further develop a patented, novel and highly promising haemostatic technology, including further research to improve the technology, as well as product development in conjunction with commercialization activities. This technology involves an easily fabricated nano-structural coating on cotton fabric, which enables a hydrophobic resistance to limit blood loss, yet causes quick clotting, bacteria resistance, and extremely easy detachment after clotting. We envision that this new technology can reduce complications in serious accidents and surgeries and generate important impact in medicine. The successful candidate will work with both materials and haematology experts to gain a multi-disciplinary exposure.
Duties and responsibilities
- Scientific research and product development activities including
– Fabrication, testing and optimization of nanostructured haemostatic materials
– Biological assay to determine blood responses to the haemostatic materials
– Product design, prototyping, and testing of haemostatic devices
- Presenting findings to colleagues at internal and external meetings and conferences
- Drafting publications for scientific publication
- Assisting and supervising post-graduate students and visiting visitors
- A PhD (or equivalent) in material science or haematology or relevant fields.
- Experience in nanofibrous material fabrication, electrospinning, and blood biological assay work will be a plus.
- Evidence of academic excellence.
This position is full time and fixed term for 1 year and based at our White City Campus.
Candidates who have not yet been officially awarded their PhD will be appointed as a Research Assistant within the salary range £36,045 – £39,183 per annum.
Closing date: TBC
For informal enquiries about the post, please Dr. Choon Hwai Yap at email@example.com
Any queries regarding the application process should be directed to Michelle McCartney at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For technical issues when applying online please email email@example.com
The College is a proud signatory to the San-Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA), which means that in hiring and promotion decisions, we evaluate applicants on the quality of their work, not the journal impact factor where it is published.For more information, see https://www.imperial.ac.uk/research-and-innovation/about-imperial-research/research-evaluation/
The College believes that the use of animals in research is vital to improve human and animal health and welfare. Animals may only be used in research programmes where their use is shown to be necessary for developing new treatments and making medical advances. Imperial is committed to ensuring that, in cases where this research is deemed essential, all animals in the College’s care are treated with full respect, and that all staff involved with this work show due consideration at every level. http://www.imperial.ac.uk/research-and-innovation/about-imperial-research/research-integrity/animal-research /
Imperial College is committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment. We are an Athena SWAN Silver award winner, a Stonewall Diversity Champion, a Disability Confident Employer and work in partnership with GIRES to promote respect for trans people.
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
All Imperial employees are expected to follow the 7 principles of Imperial Expectations:
- Champion a positive approach to change and opportunity
- Communicate regularly and effectively within, and across, teams
- Consider the thoughts and expectations of others
- Deliver positive outcomes
- Encourage inclusive participation and eliminate discrimination
- Develop and grow skills and expertise
- Work in a planned and managed way
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
We are committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment for all. We therefore encourage candidates to apply irrespective of age, disability, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion and belief, gender identity, sex, or sexual orientation. We are an Athena SWAN Silver Award winner, a Disability Confident Leader and a Stonewall Diversity Champion.
For technical issues when applying online please email firstname.lastname@example.org .