The use of microfabricated materials is becoming an extremely important aspect of generating high impact materials-based approaches. Microfabricated materials offer extremely advantageous properties that can be manipulated using versatile surface chemistries and biofunctionalisation strategies. Further, the microfabrication of micro/nanoparticle substrates can give rise to innovative materials capable of delivering sensitive cargo in a well-controlled manner to target tissues. This project will involve the use of microfabrication strategies to generate and characterise micro/nanoparticles and innovative materials capable of being utilised in an injectable drug delivery platform for a target tissue.
Duties and responsibilities
Key Responsibilities include:
- Design and synthesise innovative microfabricated micro/nanoparticles using polymers and/or modify GRAS polymers for drug delivery purposes. Specifically, develop injectable drug delivery platforms for the long-term release of encapsulated cargo.
- Use state-of-the-art materials characterisation techniques to analyse the materials.
- Undertake the associated data analysis and interpretation of data.
- Help the other research staff, technicians, and students in the daily management of the group laboratories and facilities.
- To liaise with the other research staff and students working in broad areas of relevance to the research project and partner institutions.
- To write progress reports and prepare results for publication and dissemination via journals, presentations, and the web.
- To attend progress and management meetings as required and network with the other research groups.
- To collaborate with industrial partners.
- To take initiatives in the planning of research.
- To develop any required skills and knowledge.
- To identify and develop suitable techniques and apparatus for the collection and analysis of data.
- To conduct data analysis.
- To ensure the validity and reliability of data at all times.
- To maintain accurate and complete records of all findings.
- To write reports for submission to research sponsors.
- To prepare material for presentation in oral and poster formats.
Candidates/post holders will be expected to demonstrate the following:
- Research Assistant, near completion of PhD degree (or equivalent) in Chemistry, Physics, Biophotonics, Materials Science, or Engineering or similar.
Research Associate hold a PhD (or equivalent) in Chemistry, Physics, Biophotonics, Materials Science, or Engineering or similar.
*Candidates who have not yet been officially awarded their PhD will be appointed as Research Assistant within the salary range £36,694 – £39,888 per annum.
- Experience in microfabrication, synthesis of micro/nanoparticles, and in designing innovative materials.
- Experience in micro/nanoparticle characterisation techniques (e.g. DLS, TEM, SEM and/or AFM), image analysis (e.g. ImageJ).
- Experience of working in a cleanroom (e.g. (photo)lithography).
- Experience in a wide range of synthetic skills (e.g. experimental design, wet chemistry, purification, etc.).
- Knowledge of materials characterisation techniques (e.g. Raman, FTIR).
- Experience in data and image analysis
- Experience in writing papers focusing on microfabricated particles, their chemistry and characterisation, including a number of first-authored papers in well-respected journals
Further guidance may be sought from Mrs Darakshan Khan ( firstname.lastname@example.org ).
Further information can be obtained from Professor Molly Stevens, email@example.com
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
All Imperial employees are expected to follow the 7 principles of Imperial Expectations:
- Champion a positive approach to change and opportunity
- Communicate regularly and effectively within, and across, teams
- Consider the thoughts and expectations of others
- Deliver positive outcomes
- Encourage inclusive participation and eliminate discrimination
- Develop and grow skills and expertise
- Work in a planned and managed way
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
We are committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment for all. We therefore encourage candidates to apply irrespective of age, disability, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion and belief, gender identity, sex, or sexual orientation. We are an Athena SWAN Silver Award winner, a Disability Confident Leader and a Stonewall Diversity Champion.
For technical issues when applying online please email firstname.lastname@example.org .