The Department of Chemical Engineering is seeking a full-time Manager to lead all operational aspects of its flagship Sargent Centre for Process Systems Engineering, a multi-institution, multi-disciplinary research centre. The Centre Manager will play a key role in leading and delivering the mission of the Sargent Centre, working closely with members of the Centre and a wide range of internal and external stakeholders. In particular, collaboration and engagement with industry are critical to the Centre’s mission and the Centre Manager will play an important role in developing and supporting activities in this area.
You will be joining the Sargent Centre Management Team at a time of renewal and growth for the Centre, including an ongoing refresh of the Centre’s brand and a plan to grow interactions and collaborative projects with industry. Building on the Centre’s strong reputation and well-established relationships, you will have the opportunity to shape the evolution of the Centre and expand its activities, including through the Centre’s Industrial Consortium, a valued forum for engaging industry partners, and more ad hoc activities.
Duties and responsibilities
In this role, you will have responsibility for:
- identifying short, medium and long term strategic objectives and priorities, working with the Centre director and Management Team and providing relevant background data as appropriate to support the decision making process.
- supporting the development and delivery of the Sargent Centre research activities, from project conception to delivery, including fostering interactions within the Centre, developing new and existing long-term collaborations with external partners, and taking responsibility for management of specific major projects.
- leading the operational development and delivery of the Centre’s education programme of short courses, and summer schools, working with academics, students and external partners to continuously improve the programme and develop new avenues such as Executive Education.
- contributing to the financial success of the Sargent Centre through budget management for the core budget and major projects and by helping to secure funding in collaboration with Sargent Centre academics and the College’s Industrial Partnerships and Commercialisation team.
- promoting and enhancing the visibility of the Sargent Centre and its major projects internally and externally, including the organisation of specific events, having overall responsibility for internal and external marketing and communications channels and materials.
You must be a proactive and self-directed individual with a range of experiences and skills to meet the varied needs of the role. Essential attributes include:
- An educational qualification in engineering or science, at least to undergraduate level or equivalent
- Experience of operations management in a research, higher education or policy environment
- Proven ability to engage with and utilise a network of contacts including senior stakeholders in government, industry and across academia
- Knowledge of the wider work practices, procedures and processes involved in managing a Department, Centre or Institute.
- Proven management skills
- Innovative and resourceful
- Excellent communicator
The post is available from 01/04/2021 for 4 years or until 31/03/2021 (whichever is sooner) in the first instance, with the possibility of extension subject to funding. The post is based in the Department of Chemical Engineering at Imperial College London (South Kensington Campus).
Informal enquiries about the post can be made to Prof. Claire Adjiman ( email@example.com ).
To apply, please select the “Apply Now” button at the top of this page. Please ensure you include a completed application form with your submission.
Further information about the post is available in the job description.
Should you have any queries about the application process please contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
Closing date:Sunday 14th March 2021
The College is a proud signatory to the San-Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA), which means that in hiring and promotion decisions, we evaluate applicants on the quality of their work, not the journal impact factor where it is published.For more information, see https://www.imperial.ac.uk/research-and-innovation/about-imperial-research/research-evaluation/
The College believes that the use of animals in research is vital to improve human and animal health and welfare. Animals may only be used in research programmes where their use is shown to be necessary for developing new treatments and making medical advances. Imperial is committed to ensuring that, in cases where this research is deemed essential, all animals in the College’s care are treated with full respect, and that all staff involved with this work show due consideration at every level. http://www.imperial.ac.uk/research-and-innovation/about-imperial-research/research-integrity/animal-research /
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
All Imperial employees are expected to follow the 7 principles of Imperial Expectations:
- Champion a positive approach to change and opportunity
- Communicate regularly and effectively within, and across, teams
- Consider the thoughts and expectations of others
- Deliver positive outcomes
- Encourage inclusive participation and eliminate discrimination
- Develop and grow skills and expertise
- Work in a planned and managed way
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
We are committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment for all. We therefore encourage candidates to apply irrespective of age, disability, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion and belief, gender identity, sex, or sexual orientation. We are an Athena SWAN Silver Award winner, a Disability Confident Leader and a Stonewall Diversity Champion.
For technical issues when applying online please email email@example.com .