Imperial College Students’ Union is an innovative, democratic and evolving organisation based in South Kensington supporting students studying at Imperial College London.
As a Web Developer you will bring an enthusiastic and positive approach to a high-performing development team within Imperial College Union. The solutions the team produces help the organisation meet its ambitious targets, providing excellent experiences for students at Imperial College.
Working alongside developers and other staff in the organisation, your development skills (SQL, HTML, CSS, PHP etc.) will be the primary driver of improvement to our business management system and enable the team to produce exciting new applications for a range of functions including retail, finance, student engagement and marketing. Strong knowledge of databases and SQL will be especially beneficial to you in this role.
You will be expected to use your skills to resolve issues and improve user interfaces across our systems while maintaining and improving our main customer-facing Drupal site at imperialcolleunion.org. You will contribute to supporting our existing systems and creating documentation where necessary.
The ideal candidate for this role will have a broad range of skills in front-end web development, server management and web-based application development. Experience working in an Agile development team and knowledge of user experience principles would be of benefit. We are committed to producing user-friendly, highly accessible solutions for our users, so knowledge of accessibility standards and responsive web design is vital to this role.
Imperial College Union has three bars, two catering outlets, two retail outlets and a Nightclub venue on site. Situated in a picturesque quadrangle immediately behind the Royal Albert Hall, the Union Building is also home to numerous spaces for student activities including a gym, cinema and concert hall.
The team has been working remotely via Microsoft Teams for most of the Pandemic and will likely continue to do so for the foreseeable future. You will be expected to be comfortable with standard remote working tools.
Duties and responsibilities
- You will be responsible for developing, managing and maintaining the ‘eActivities’ business management system and the Union’s customer-facing website, imperialcollegeunion.org
- You will manage databases and web applications, including working with the Systems Team and Union departments to produce bespoke web solutions and functionality for their specific needs
- You will ensure that all websites and web applications are user-friendly and are compliant with international web standards, including web accessibility requirements, users with mobile devices etc
- You will assist in monitoring Union IT systems availability, responding to incidents, investigating and solving hardware and software problems
- You will need to maintain appropriate documentation including process mapping and user manuals for all systems and services, adhering to best coding practices and writing user-friendly, transferrable code
- You will be expected to assist in the maintenance of web servers and databases as required
- Development and coding for websites, databases and/or web applications
- Demonstrable experience of working to a brief and specification
- Managing successful partnerships with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders
- A track record of developing user-focused websites
- User Experience principles including web accessibility guidelines and coding for mobile devices (media queries, page optimisation etc.)
- Strong knowledge of databases, SQL and SQL Server technologies.
Skills and Abilities
- A highly skilled and confident user of IT who can enable efficiencies and provide excellent customer service
- An excellent role model who is positive, energetic, robust and able to work with a team and independently as required
- The ability to learn and adapt quickly, responding to new challenges and showing an appetite for learning new languages and technologies where required
This is initially a fixed-term 12-month role but with the possibility of extension.
Should you require any further details on the role please contact: Ashley Cory – email@example.com or 02075948060
For technical issues when applying online please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Committed to equality and valuing diversity, we are an Athena SWAN Silver Award winner, a Stonewall Diversity Champion, a Disability Confident Employer and work in partnership with GIRES to promote respect for trans people.
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
All Imperial employees are expected to follow the 7 principles of Imperial Expectations:
- Champion a positive approach to change and opportunity
- Communicate regularly and effectively within, and across, teams
- Consider the thoughts and expectations of others
- Deliver positive outcomes
- Encourage inclusive participation and eliminate discrimination
- Develop and grow skills and expertise
- Work in a planned and managed way
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
Imperial College is committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment. We are an Athena SWAN Silver award winner, a Stonewall Diversity Champion, a Disability Confident Employer and work in partnership with GIRES to promote respect for trans people.