Imperial College London is looking for an exceptional Fire Safety Manager with proven experience of fire risk assessment and fire safety management in large and complex buildings.
You will be required to apply your knowledge and skills in a wide range of environments, including large multi-storey buildings accommodating world class research laboratories and workshops, sleeping risks, healthcare and more.
Duties and responsibilities
As the first line manager responsible for the outputs of two full time Fire Safety Officers, planning work across multiple sites, coordinating with stakeholders and the academic calendar whilst addressing urgent operational demands requires you to be an accomplished organiser, able to cope with a high workload often with tight deadlines.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills are needed as you will interact at all levels of the College as well as with external parties such as enforcing authorities and construction project design and management teams. Production of reports, strategies, and draft codes of practice is also part of the role, as is contributing to various committees and working groups.
Your experience will be underpinned by having achieved a nationally recognised professional qualification proving a sound understanding of associated legislation and a wide range of supporting codes of practice, such as Approved Documents to the Building Regulations and British Standards.
This is a challenging role that requires a high calibre specialist who will enjoy the benefits of working in stimulating and fascinating environment.
You will be expected to have achieved nationally recognised professional qualifications such as the Level 4 Diploma in Fire Safety, NEBOSH Certificate in Fire Safety and Risk Management as well as the NEBOSH Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety (see JD) proving a sound understanding of associated legislation and a wide range of supporting codes of practice, such as Approved Documents to the Building Regulations and British Standards.
You will be expected to have the following skills, experience and knowledge:
- Experience in a Fire Service, combining practical operational familiarity and significant experience in a dedicated role practicing fire safety, enforcement and risk assessment.
- Experience of, and be able to demonstrate, a thorough understanding of fire safety legislation, fire safety management, and the principles of fire engineering
- Success in leading organisational and cultural change
- Thorough knowledge of the application of current fire safety legislation to a range of premises
- Proven ability to influence, negotiate and communicate in a multi-layered organisation, both verbally and in writing
- Forward thinking, innovative and able to solve problems in a dynamic and political environment
- A high standard of oral and written skills
- Organisational skills, enthusiasm and resilience
- Self-motivated and able to use own initiative
This is a full-time, open-ended position, based at South Kensington Campus and you will be required to travel across all campuses
There is an additional £2,310 per annum on call allowance.
Should you require any further details on the role please contact: John Field, Head of Fire Safety via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
It is anticipated that interviews will be held w/c 27 September 2021.
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
All Imperial employees are expected to follow the 7 principles of Imperial Expectations:
- Champion a positive approach to change and opportunity
- Communicate regularly and effectively within, and across, teams
- Consider the thoughts and expectations of others
- Deliver positive outcomes
- Encourage inclusive participation and eliminate discrimination
- Develop and grow skills and expertise
- Work in a planned and managed way
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
We are committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment for all. We therefore encourage candidates to apply irrespective of age, disability, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion and belief, gender identity, sex, or sexual orientation. We are an Athena SWAN Silver Award winner, a Disability Confident Leader and a Stonewall Diversity Champion.
For technical issues when applying online please email email@example.com .