Applications are invited for a Lecturer in Experimental Solid State Physics within the Department of Physics, Faculty of Natural Sciences. The appointee is expected to have a strong background in experimental condensed matter physics in the area of Energy. Those with expertise in the physics of materials and devices relevant to energy conversion, energy storage or energy efficient use are particularly encouraged to apply.
The appointee will be part of the Experimental Solid State Group and also affiliated to the Condensed Matter Physics Section of the Department. The Condensed Matter Physics Section comprises 16 academic staff with expertise in the following areas: classical and quantum nanotechnology and nanophotonics; materials for energy applications, with particular strength in photovoltaics; plasmonics and metamaterials; the physics of inorganic, organic and hybrid semiconductors and their applications; solution processable optoelectronics; materials theory and simulation; superconductivity; superconducting spintronics and topological qubits; complexity; nanomagnetism and magnonics; and strongly-correlated systems. The successful applicant’s research will complement or enhance these areas.
Duties and responsibilities
The successful candidate will:
- Develop and lead an innovative research programme of international quality
- Teach and examine students at all levels including lecturing undergraduate and postgraduate courses, supervising research and PhD students, providing pastoral support and contributing to curriculum development work
- Act as a coach and role model through excellent practice and mentoring of colleagues
- Contribute to the promotion of equality, diversity and inclusivity in Physics
- Undertake appropriate administrative tasks in support of the Department’s activities
You must also be able to demonstrate all the following essential criteria:
- Hold a PhD (or equivalent) in a relevant subject area.
- Evidence of a developing international standing in experimental condensed matter physics research that is relevant to energy conversion or storage
- Evidence of contribution to the development and performance of colleagues through coaching or mentoring
- Experience of preparing or helping to prepare grant applications for submission
- An outstanding record of research publications recognized as nationally leading and internationally excellent (commensurate with career stage)
- Experience of training undergraduate and / or postgraduate students
- Experience of supervision of higher degrees (PhD)
- Evidence of contribution to the promotion of equality, diversity and inclusivity
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to convey ideas and concepts clearly and effectively to a range of audiences through a variety of methods and media.
Imperial College London is a world leading university whose reputation for excellence in research and teaching attracts students and staff of the highest international quality. The three Faculties – Engineering, Natural Sciences and Medicine – together with the Business School explore the interface between science, medicine, engineering and management. The College is committed to hiring diversely and supporting a flexible working environment. In line with the Department’s Athena SWAN programme, we particularly welcome female applicants.
Further information about the Department can be found at http://www.imperial.ac.uk/physics
The Department of Physics is an IoP Juno Practitioner and an Athena Silver SWAN Award winner reflecting our commitment to building a supportive, inclusive and highly motivated community. Furtherinformation aboutthe Department’s EDI work can be found at https://www.imperial.ac.uk/physics/about/equality-diversity-and-inclusion/
Information about the post is included in the Further Particulars.
Guidance on completing the on-line academic application, including mandatory areas that should be included in the application, is available here.
In addition to completing the online application, candidates should attach a full CV, with contact details for three referees.
Informal enquiries may be made toProfessor Lesley Cohen, Head of the Experimental Solid State Group, by email to email@example.com
Should you have any queries about the application process please contact Mrs Carolyn Dale, (Senior Section Administrator), firstname.lastname@example.org ;
The seminars talks will be held 8th March 2022
The interviews will be held on 9th March 2022
The College is a proud signatory to the San-Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA), which means that in hiring and promotion decisions, we evaluate applicants on the quality of their work, not the journal impact factor where it is published.For more information, see https://www.imperial.ac.uk/research-and-innovation/about-imperial-research/research-evaluation/
The College believes that the use of animals in research is vital to improve human and animal health and welfare. Animals may only be used in research programmes where their use is shown to be necessary for developing new treatments and making medical advances. Imperial is committed to ensuring that, in cases where this research is deemed essential, all animals in the College’s care are treated with full respect, and that all staff involved with this work show due consideration at every level. http://www.imperial.ac.uk/research-and-innovation/about-imperial-research/research-integrity/animal-research /
Imperial College is committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment. We are an Athena SWAN Silver award winner, a Stonewall Diversity Champion, a Disability Confident Employer and work in partnership with GIRES to promote respect for trans people.
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
Imperial College is committed to equality of opportunity and to eliminating discrimination. All employees are expected to follow the Imperial Values & Behaviours framework . Our values are:
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
We are committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment for all. We therefore encourage candidates to apply irrespective of age, disability, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion and belief, gender identity, sex, or sexual orientation. We are an Athena SWAN Silver Award winner, a Disability Confident Leader and a Stonewall Diversity Champion.
For technical issues when applying online please email email@example.com .