Lecturer/Senior Lecturer (Assistant/Associate Professor) Positions in Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning/Data Science/Digital technologies
Faculty of Engineering
Imperial College London invites applications for up to 13 full-time permanentfaculty member positions at the Lecturer / Assistant Professor level, who will contribute to research, teaching and service at the College’s Imperial-X (I-X) initiative. Qualified candidates may also be appointed at the Senior Lecturer / Associate Professor level.
The faculty positions will be part of the College’s flagship I-X initiative, which is a new collaborative environment for research, education, and entrepreneurship across artificial intelligence, machine learning, data science, statistics, and digital technologies. The goal of I-X is to realise new models for research, education, and entrepreneurship that go beyond traditional siloes imposed by academic disciplines, thus forming a blueprint for the University of the Future. At I-X, we value research in both foundational and theoretical underpinnings, practical applied areas, transdisciplinary research, and digital innovation. I-X benefits from a strategic investment by the College, which includes new facilities on Imperial’s White City and South Kensington campuses. For more information about I-X, please visit https://ix.imperial.ac.uk/ .
Imperial College London is a world-leading university whose reputation for excellence in research and teaching attracts students and staff of the highest international quality. Our four Faculties, Engineering, Natural Sciences, Medicine and the Imperial College Business School explore the interface between science, medicine, engineering, and management.
Appointed candidates will also be part of one of the following host departments: Department of Computing, Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering (EEE), Department of Mathematics (which includes Statistics, Applied Mathematics and Mathematical Physics, and Pure and Financial Mathematics), and the Imperial College Business School. As part of your application, please indicate your desired host department or departments. We will also consider candidates with an interest in joint appointments with industry or with multiple Departments.
We offer an attractive salary package (including a pension scheme with significant employer contributions) as well as generous terms and conditions of service. The posts in Computing/ EEE/ Mathematics are permanent (comparable to tenured faculty positions); those in the Business School are tenure-track. All posts include a substantial start-up package for establishing a research activity at I-X. Other benefits to our staff are subsidised childcare on campus, flexible and family-friendly working policies, opportunities for further professional development, periodic sabbaticals, and free healthcare through the National Health Service. We can provide support and advice on the dual-career needs of candidates and their partners.
Duties and responsibilities
- To build up a research portfolio and research group at I-X and to establish yourself as an internationally leading researcher.
- To supervise PhD students and post-doctoral researchers and to mentor their career development.
- To collaborate with colleagues at I-X, in other departments and externally on research, teaching, and service.
- To develop teaching materials and teach subjects at undergraduate, postgraduate and further education levels.
- To adhere to the College values.
Full information on duties, responsibilities and criteria can be found in the Job Description.
- A PhD degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, Business, or another relevant field.
- An outstanding academic record, which includes a portfolio of research publications and other outputs.
- A compelling scientific vision and a developing international reputation in a field related to I-X activities.
- The ability to develop skills in leadership, motivation, development, and management.
- The desire to help set and deliver the vision and strategic goals of I-X.
For further information about the college and benefit available to staff, please see the Further Particulars on our website.
Our preferred method of application is online, on our website at the following link: Imperial Career’s site (select “Job Search”). In addition to the application form and a cover letter, please upload:
- A full CV that includes all academic degrees (including universities and dates); past and present posts; information on obtained research grants, past student supervision, etc., if applicable; information on public engagement and outreach activities, if any; and a complete list of publications.
- A list of the four most significant publications . For each of the publications, please include a short 100-word statement highlighting the key contributions made by the work.
- A research statement that describes your previous research contributions and future research plans (no more than two pages).
- A teaching statement that describes your previous teaching experience (with evidence of teaching scores, where available), your commitment to teaching excellence and your plans to contribute to teaching at I-X (no more than two pages).
- A diversity statement about your approach to Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI).
Applicants should contact three referees before applying to ensure their willingness to provide a reference for the present post.
All candidates will be contacted after the shortlisting of applications is completed.
Should you have any queries about the posts, please contact: Alex Gibbs, Imperial-X Operations Manager, Email: email@example.com .
Closing date: Please note recruitment for I-X academics will operate in two rounds. The deadline for applications for the first round is Monday 17 January and the deadline for applications for the second round is Monday 28 February.
The College is a proud signatory to the San-Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA), which means that in hiring and promotion decisions, we evaluate applicants on the quality of their work, not the journal impact factor where it is published. For more information, see www.imperial.ac.uk/research-and-innovation/about-imperial-research/research-evaluation/
The College believes that the use of animals in research is vital to improve human and animal health and welfare. Animals may only be used in research programmes where their use is shown to be necessary for developing new treatments and making medical advances. Imperial is committed to ensuring that, in cases where this research is deemed essential, all animals in the College’s care are treated with full respect, and that all staff involved with this work show due consideration at every level. www.imperial.ac.uk/research-and-innovation/about-imperial-research/research-integrity/animal-research
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
Imperial College is committed to equality of opportunity and to eliminating discrimination. All employees are expected to follow the Imperial Values & Behaviours framework . Our values are:
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
We are committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment for all. We therefore encourage candidates to apply irrespective of age, disability, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion and belief, gender identity, sex, or sexual orientation. We are an Athena SWAN Silver Award winner, a Disability Confident Leader and a Stonewall Diversity Champion.
For technical issues when applying online please email firstname.lastname@example.org .