Lecturer/Senior Lecturer/Reader/Chair in Climate Change and Environmental Biology
Department of Life Sciences
The Department of Life Sciences was the top ranked university department in the UK for research intensity in Biological Sciences in REF2014 (Times Higher Education), scoring 100% on our environment.
We are now seeking applications for up to 5 academic staff positions (tenure track where appropriate) starting in the 2021-22 academic year in the following priority areas: Climate Change and Environmental Biology; Plant Sciences and Food Security; Human and Animal Health, Cell and Developmental Biology; Bioinformatics and Data-intensive Biology. Applications may address more than one priority area, and multi-disciplinary approaches are particularly welcome.
Climate Change and Environmental Biology: may include metagenomic analysis. Research programmes which address intervention and remediation are particularly encouraged. https://www.imperial.ac.uk/jobs/description/NAT01063/lecturersenior-lecturerreaderprofessor-climate-change-and-environmental-biology
Plant Sciences and Food Security: improvement of crop production, resistance to disease, mitigation of environmental stress. https://www.imperial.ac.uk/jobs/description/NAT01067/lecturersenior-lecturerreaderprofessor-plant-sciences-and-food-security
Human and Animal Health: includes both infectious disease (parasitic, bacterial, viral, fungal) and non-infectious disease or disorders. https://www.imperial.ac.uk/jobs/description/NAT01066/lecturersenior-lecturerreaderprofessor-human-and-animal-health
Cell and Developmental Biology: includes development of cells, tissues and systems (e.g. neurobiology, immunology) in the context of healthy ageing. https://www.imperial.ac.uk/jobs/description/NAT01064/lecturersenior-lecturerreaderprofessor-cell-and-developmental-biology
Bioinformatics and Data-intensive Biology: any aspect of data-intensive biology, e.g. utilising machine learning, including synthetic cells and/or engineered organisms, systems and synthetic biology, populations. https://www.imperial.ac.uk/jobs/description/NAT01065/lecturersenior-lecturerreaderprofessor-bioinformatics-and-data-intensive-biology
The positions are open to outstanding candidates whose research and teaching is focused on seeking solutions for global challenges across the breadth of Life Sciences. Appointees are expected to broaden the Department’s research capabilities, while complementing our existing strengths ( https://www.imperial.ac.uk/life-sciences/research/research-themes/ ).
We especially welcome applicants who are female or from other under-represented groups.
Duties and responsibilities
- Undertake original research at a high international standard in the following fields: Climate Change and Environmental Biology; Plant Sciences and Food Security; Human and Animal Health, Cell and Developmental Biology; Bioinformatics and Genomics.
- Publish the results of this research in internationally recognised peer reviewed journals
- Obtain external funding to support the research from Government Research Councils, Charity, Industry and other national and international funding agencies
- Contribute to teaching and examination on appropriate courses of the undergraduate Biochemistry and Biological Sciences degree streams within the Department of Life Sciences
- Contribute to teaching and examination on appropriate Masters courses within the Department of Life Sciences
- Supervise MRes/MPhil/PhD research students
- To undertake appropriate administrative tasks as directed by the Head of Department
- To undertake necessary training and/or development
Full information on duties, responsibilities and criteria can be found in the Job Description.
You must meet the following essential criteria (commensurate with the level of appointment)
- You should hold a PhD (or equivalent) in Life Sciences or a related discipline.
- A developing or established, national or international reputation and expertise in your field of research
- A proven track record in conducting high quality independent research, as evidenced by high quality publications in peer reviewed journals
- Experience of training undergraduate and postgraduate students
- Experience of preparing grant applications for submission
- Experience of developing skills in leading, motivating, developing and managing the performance of colleagues
- An effective communicator, conveying ideas and concepts clearly and effectively to a range of audiences through a variety of methods and media
- An ability to raise significant research funding from a variety of sources
For further information about the college and benefit available to staff, please see the Further Particulars on our website.
Candidates are required to complete an online application via our website at https://www.imperial.ac.uk/jobs/
Informal enquiries may be made to: Professor Anne Dell, (Head of Department; email@example.com ) or Professor Mark Isalan (Chair, Appointments Committee; firstname.lastname@example.org ).
For further information on the recruitment process please contact: Maria Monteiro, Senior Appointments Manager, email: email@example.com Telephone: +44 (0)207 594 5498
The College is a proud signatory to the San-Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA), which means that in hiring and promotion decisions, we evaluate applicants on the quality of their work, not the journal impact factor where it is published.For more information, see https://www.imperial.ac.uk/research-and-innovation/about-imperial-research/research-evaluation/
The College believes that the use of animals in research is vital to improve human and animal health and welfare. Animals may only be used in research programmes where their use is shown to be necessary for developing new treatments and making medical advances. Imperial is committed to ensuring that, in cases where this research is deemed essential, all animals in the College’s care are treated with full respect, and that all staff involved with this work show due consideration at every level. http://www.imperial.ac.uk/research-and-innovation/about-imperial-research/research-integrity/animal-research
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
Imperial College is committed to equality of opportunity and to eliminating discrimination. All employees are expected to follow the Imperial Values & Behaviours framework . Our values are:
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
We are committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment for all. We therefore encourage candidates to apply irrespective of age, disability, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion and belief, gender identity, sex, or sexual orientation. We are an Athena SWAN Silver Award winner, a Disability Confident Leader and a Stonewall Diversity Champion.
For technical issues when applying online please email firstname.lastname@example.org .