The Joint Research Office (JRO) in the Faculty of Medicine at Imperial College is a large team of grant management staff and contract negotiators who support a research spend of over £160 million per annum. This post represents an exciting opportunity to play an integral role in supporting the ground-breaking medical research that takes place at Imperial College.
The Senior Grants Administrator is a key role within the JRO. Drawing from technical and operation excellence, you will work closely with other members of the JRO team, Divisions, Academics, and the Trust in the delivery of an end-to-end administrative service.
The role is key to the success and financial performance of the College and the Trust, particularly by ensuring accurate and timely grant applications are submitted and that when awarded, staffing allowances are not exceeded.
You will act as a Supervisor and line manager to the Grants Administrator(s), giving advice and direction on more complex queries and account related issues, and you will deputize for the Grant Manager in times of absence.
Duties and responsibilities
- Undertake financial checks to ensure research applications are costed and priced in accordance with TRAC and FEC methodology in parallel with the funders Terms and Conditions and from the perspective of both the College and the Trust.
- Provide expert practical advice on all aspects of pricing and costing research activities, including choice of funder, impact on research activity, overhead recovery and optimising the chances of success of an application. You will provide this advice to researchers and administrators and will guide Grants Administrators on how to approach non-standard situations.
- Own all research applications within the given portfolio and actively add value to the application process.
- Undertake the interpretation of Awards and identification of key reporting (financial and scientific) requirements.
- Be responsible for initiating and completing periodic account reviews of all RCUK, Wellcome, CRUK and BRC Awards.
- Help and support Grants Administrators in the preparation of complex financial statements with training provided to aid development.
- Cost, review and approve all HR forms within a given portfolio.
- Ensure, in liaison with HR, that staff are recruited and financed suitably.
- Advise Divisions and HR on variations to staff requests and respond to all staffing related queries, issues and requests.
- Substantial Experience in Post Award Administration, including UK and Foreign currency awards
- Experience of working in research and finance administration
- Proven experience of working independently and as part of a team
- A sound knowledge of research grants and contracts within the Higher Education sector
- A sound knowledge of the lifecycle of awards and contracts from start-to-end
- Proven financial management skills
This post is full-time and open-ended, based at St Mary’s Campus.
Staff are supported by a knowledgeable and approachable team, and you will have the opportunity to develop both personal and management skills to achieve their potential and further their career.
Should you have any queries please contact: Victor Abah – firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
All Imperial employees are expected to follow the 7 principles of Imperial Expectations:
- Champion a positive approach to change and opportunity
- Communicate regularly and effectively within, and across, teams
- Consider the thoughts and expectations of others
- Deliver positive outcomes
- Encourage inclusive participation and eliminate discrimination
- Develop and grow skills and expertise
- Work in a planned and managed way
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
We are committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment for all. We therefore encourage candidates to apply irrespective of age, disability, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion and belief, gender identity, sex, or sexual orientation. We are an Athena SWAN Silver Award winner, a Disability Confident Leader and a Stonewall Diversity Champion.
For technical issues when applying online please email email@example.com .