King’s Foundations provides year-round and summer programmes to international students who aim to progress onto King’s College London Undergraduate and Postgraduate programmes. The Business Support Team operates within the Professional Services Team which includes the Student Experience, Technology Enhanced Learning (TEL) and Programmes Teams, and also works closely with academic leadership teams and teaching staff across the portfolio of programmes
This role will report to the Business Support Manager and will provide comprehensive and efficient administrative support to King’s Foundations in line with the operational plan and Business Support Calendar.
You will be responsible for internal reporting and data reporting processes across all King’s Foundations programmes. You will support the Head of Operations with horizon scanning and planning. You will support the work of the Business Support Manager to develop comprehensive analytical reports, including forecasting, progression, tutor allocations and workload modelling relating to King’s Foundations staff and students.
You will be a key leading member of the Business Support Team with supervisory responsibility to other members of the Team. You will co-ordinate and contribute to delivery of all departmental recruitment activity in King’s Foundations, including on-boarding of new staff members, acting as a point of reference for queries and advising staff on College procedures. You will plan and oversee delivery of the department’s schedule of departmental meetings and staff events, and will be responsible for the timely delivery of staff comms. You will support the work of the Business Support Manager in ensuring resources are managed efficiently and within budget, acting as a card holder if required.
The Business Support Team works closely with the Programmes Team to ensure operational efficiency in key areas such as tutor allocation, co-ordination of teaching cover and the reception service. At times members from both teams will share responsibilities and duties when required.
The role is primarily based at Bush House on the King’s Strand Campus though you may be required to travel to other campuses on occasion. King’s is currently trialling a hybrid working scheme where staff may be able to work remotely for part of the week, as determined by required output and departmental need.
This post will be offered on an indefinite contract
This is a full-time post – 100% full time equivalent
- Development and maintenance of student and staff analytical and statistical reporting portfolio across all King’s Foundations programmes
- Supervision of day-to-day duties of 1-2 team members with the potential for this number to increase
- Communicating complex numerical information to a non-specialist audience
- To maintain overall responsibility for delivery of King’s Foundations recruitment provision and support HR activities in collaboration with the HR team.
- To ensure operational plan and calendar are adhered to, including meeting scheduling, communications, provision of meeting support, resource management and staff record management.
- To identify and take responsibility for priority issues and initiatives, taking on day-to-day responsibility for those initiatives, escalating to senior staff according to established parameters.
- To assist with any other duties as may be required from time to time, including providing cover for colleagues, both within their own areas and across the College.
- Participate in regular reviews of individual and team progress, working closely with all other team members to provide cover during peak periods/ projects.
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
1. Highly numerate with an understanding of planning processes, gained in a university or comparable environment
2. Experience of managing databases, complex reports and statistical data, with excellent data analysis skills
3. Excellent interpersonal skills, with demonstrable experience dealing with a wide variety of people and levels of seniority.
4. Computer literate with demonstrable experience using advanced functions in Excel (e.g. Pivot Tables, VLOOKUP, INDEX) and Power BI or other analytics tools
5. Advanced organisational skills with excellent planning and prioritising skills.
6. Inclusive and collaborative approach, with a commitment to and understanding of equality issues within a diverse and multicultural environment.
7. Ability to be proactive, work independently and as part of a team
8. Ability to balance competing priorities under pressure of deadlines and workload and ability to take on new tasks with minimal supervision
1. Undergraduate degree or equivalent experience
2. Experience using a student records system, e.g. SITS
3. Knowledge of HR administration and familiarity with recruitment procedures, including preparing documentation for interviews and onboarding.
About King’s School of Professional & Continuing Education
King’s School of Professional & Continuing Education is a new, cross-cutting function designed to widen the educational reach of King’s. It brings together five existing areas: King’s Foundations, Summer Programmes, Modern Language Centre, King’s Online and King’s Professional & Executive Development. Each of these areas are well established, respected and recognised within and beyond the King’s community. Utilising this success as a springboard, the School of Professional & Continuing Education has been established to provide a clear platform to enable greater and more seamless collaboration with colleagues in Faculties, enabling, developing and delivering a wider view of education across the College, delivered on campus, online and in a blended format. The Function will support King’s in this area, particularly around educational innovation and transformational learning experiences for different groups of students at different learning moments, whilst also addressing current structural barriers to growth each area faces.
Our vision is to work collaboratively with Faculties to develop and deliver King’s ambitions in expanding learning opportunities across the education spectrum. By expanding what education means at King’s, the new School will offer a joined-up approach to facilitating a broader King’s education experience to individual learners, public and private sector groups, and partners, both in the UK and internationally.
About King’s Foundations
King’s Foundations is a leading centre for EAP and pathway education across the HE sector, accredited by the British Council. As one of the largest providers of pathway education, we welcome over 2,500 students each year across our King’s International Foundation Programmes and our range of Pre-sessional Programmes, with programmes offered online, on campus and in a blended way. We also offer a range of short courses with partners and support all King’s students through contributing to a range of co-curricular academic skills and language development courses.
Our mission is to support a diverse group of learners to achieve their potential at King’s, supporting students to become independent and inquisitive learners. King’s Foundations is home to approximately 80 permanent staff, growing to around 150 during our busy summer months. We champion a forward-thinking approach to education and take a digitally-enabled approach across all aspects of education. Over the last 6 years, the department has seen significant planned growth in support of King’s Vision 2029, with annual income of over £20m.