The post holder will work under the overall direction of the Department Business Manager and will be responsible for providing administrative and project support to the Biostatistics and Health Informatics (BHI) Department. The post holder will also provide support to key department staff including Head of Department, Deputy Head of Department, Group lead for Biomedical Research Centre (BRC), Research Professorship Fellow and the Senior Teaching Fellow to coordinate the research, teaching and learning activities within the Department.
The post holder will be capable of working autonomously and liaising directly with internal and external colleagues in an independent manner. The post holder will use their initiative, discretion, knowledge and experience to help plan, manage and coordinate the work of the Department.
This post will be offered on an a fixed-term contract for 2 years
This is a full-time post – 100% full time equivalent (though application for 80% FTE will be considered for the right candidate)
The post holder will be expected to work independently, and communicate effectively, with guidance from the Business Manager to:
- Act as the intermediary for contacts to the Department, responding proactively to enquiries and liaising with external and internal collaborators and IoPPN staff and students
- Provide selective administrative support to individuals within the department including diary management, arranging meetings, organising the post, passing on messages, overseeing the photocopier, arranging travel, ordering stationery, etc.
• Work with the Business Manager and Research Coordinator to coordinate and organise the Departmental meetings, Research Group meetings, seminars and workshops, including room booking, assisting with the production of presentations, taking minutes, and other administrative responsibilities
• Process expense claims and other finance administration tasks
- Provide support with Departmental HR matters
• To work with the Web Editor ensuring that the Department web pages, and social media channels are current, liaising with content authors as necessary
- Represent the Department at meetings as required by the Business Manager
- Liaise with the Research Coordinator, and wider Faculty, to exchange information and share good practice
• To work independently and proactively, managing own workload/projects and aiding decision making within the Department by generating solutions to problems
- Other administrative responsibilities as agreed with the Business Manager
- Assist the Business Manager in managing and monitoring budgets, and tracking expenditure.
- Ensure all purchases are undertaken following the College’s financial procedures and within the guidelines of the BRC and other Research Grant terms and conditions. Keep a record of invoices and expense payments.
- Support the work of the Department’s BRC themes, Trials Methodology Research Group and other Research Grant activities
- Ensure all BRC financial records are available for BRC scrutiny at all times and budgets are being adhered to
- Assist academics with journal submissions and preparations for the Department’s Research Excellence Framework Submission
Teaching and Learning Support
- Work with the Department Senior Teaching Fellow to coordinate teaching activities, administer online booking for the BHI executive education programme, and course delivery logistics such as arrange room bookings, catering, IT requirements, tracking payments, creation of any course documentation and ensure an efficient and effective service level.
- To support creation of any course documentation, course booking documentation, Quality Assurance activities and certification
- Assist in Marketing of the BHI executive education programme and collect feedback.
- Assist the Senior Teaching fellow in monitoring payments to courses and reconcile payments.
- To support the administration of the new departmental MSc programme.
- Work with the Department Senior Teaching Fellow to coordinate the BHI Advisory service, administer online booking for advisory appointments and ensure an efficient and effective service level.
- Communicate with course participants, course leads, advisory consultees and consultants
- Supporting Education Committee meetings and other education related events and training including CPD sessions and seminars, through preparing papers, taking minutes, keeping an action log, etc.
- Provide administrative support to the Research Coordinator with managing the DRIVE-Health CDT studentships, including recruitment, training, etc.
- To work as part of an Education/Advisory team
- To deal with personnel matters on behalf of the Head of Department/Business Manager as required, including:
- Coordination of the College Personal Development Review scheme;
- Managing records of absence for the Department (holiday, sickness, study leave, etc.) and ensuring Teamseer (the KCL leave software) is kept up-to-date;
- Supporting the recruitment of new staff and coordinating the induction of new joiners;
- Administering the paperwork for contract renewals, extensions and terminations;
- Dealing with the paperwork for organising visiting appointments and student placements.
Communication and Networking
• Act as the key point of contact for the Department
• Liaise with internal and external stakeholders to organise research meetings and facilitate collaborative working
• Provide guidance and support to members of the Department, circulate information, and support the identification of performance, training and development needs as appropriate
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
- Educated to degree level or have relevant experience
- Strong IT skills and knowledge of MS Office, especially outlook, Word and Excel
- Excellent organisational skills and attention to detail
- Strong financial literacy
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Experience of administration (ideally in a research environment)
- Experience of supporting the activities of a busy Department/Team
- Ability to multi-task and manage a busy and varied workload
- Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team
- Ability and willingness to work under pressure in a deadline-driven environment
- To have the ability to act with discretion when dealing with confidential matters and data
- Strong communication skills and the ability to build good working relationships
- Experience of managing budgets, especially research grant funding
- Experience of working in University and an academic environment
- Experience of Diary Management
- Experience of supporting teaching activities
The Faculty is (currently) undergoing a reshaping exercise which will impact on the Professional Service Staff (PSS) roles and responsibilities. The duties and responsibilities outlined in JD may be subject to amendments
This post is subject to Disclosure and Barring Service and Occupational Health clearance.
Administrator, Coordinator, Assistant