King’s has set itself an ambitious strategy for the future, which is brought together in Vision 2029. A key element of this is to strengthen professional services delivery.
The EDI function is based in the Human Resources directorate function. Our EDI operating model enables the identification of strategic, institutional priorities, a King’s wide EDI plan and provides flexibility to the university in terms of delivery against its EDI priorities.
This post manages our flexibly deployed Projects and Partnership team (P&P team). The role holder will be managing the performance of this team, deploying and enabling them to work with all areas of the university to improve student and staff experience and inclusion. The P&P team has a mixed portfolio of King’s wide project work and service delivery, alongside Faculty driven work.
The role holder will be an established EDI professional with well-developed technical knowledge and a track record demonstrating their capability and experience to undertake this demanding and dual focussed role developing and maintaining a high-performance team that will work with and across the whole of King’s as well as having personal delivery responsibility for specific workstreams.
- Support and coordinate relevant cross institutional committees or working groups
Communication and Networking
- Comprehend and communicate highly complex information and ideas, and translate specialist concepts to be understood by non-specialists
- Engage with colleagues within and across other areas of the university to engage them in the planning and delivery of projects and updates around progress and challenges
- Engage in appropriate professional activities to keep personal knowledge base and skills up to date and to develop them further
Analysis and Research
- Monitor, evaluate and report against all activities associated with this role in line with EDI strategic objectives and evaluation framework
- Monitor and analyse feedback to evaluate impact and inform future developments
Sensory / Physical Demands and Work Environment
We encourage flexible working among our teams and the appointed candidate will be work effectively in a hot desking environment as well as remotely.
- Able to travel and work flexibly across multiple locations
- Ability to work under pressure and in ambiguous circumstances
- Contribute to and engage with the wider HR Service Delivery
- Work in line with Health & Safety standards of the university
- Motivation to work within a supportive team and take on ad-hoc duties as required
This post will be offered on an indefinite full-time contract
- Leading on operational oversight of the P&P team including budget holding and deployment of resources
- Line manage, coach and develop the P&P team, within the ethos and vision set by the Director in line with King’s Vision 2029, giving direction and support to meet co-defined EDI and local area objectives
- Actively engage and negotiate with local areas to scope ‘local’ work packages and ensuring team workload is reasonable and delivers against King’s stated objectives.
- To lead in the development, delivery and management of specific workstreams (e.g., Race Equality Charter Mark, Athena SWAN, Disability Inclusion) and/or be a lead consultant for defined projects
This role has a dual focus to manage the P&P team and to lead on university wide strategic projects. This includes managing, developing and enabling a team of flexibly deployed EDI professionals and managing university-wide strategic projects. The success of the role requires someone who can work in a fast paced, complex and ambiguous environment, build relationships across the university and translate the wide and sometimes conflicting requirements into tangible and deliverable actions. The mixed nature of the portfolio requires someone who is has strong time management and prioritisation skills.
Line Management and Service Provision
- Work with the Director of Equality, Diversity & Inclusion and the Head of Equality, Diversity & Inclusion and other senior leaders to agree the work plan for the coming academic year, prioritising agreed areas of work and ensuring a high quality of service delivery
- Lead the P&P team (with appropriate supervision) with direct line management for the team, defining a strategic direction for their work, setting team milestones, prioritising and dealing with the unexpected
- Act as the main point of contact and take responsibility for the P&P team
- Manage, develop, coach and support a team to be high performing and to deliver King’s EDI objectives
- Maintain systems and ways of working which support matrix management
- Manage planned work in partnership with local areas to efficiently and effectively utilise available resources and be able to respond to urgent issues
- Use and implement HR policies and procedures in relation to line management of staff, in compliance with the university’s HR guidelines (including staff inductions, performance development reviews and exit interviews)
- Manage financial planning, management information and reporting responsibilities for the P&P team.
Equality, Diversity & Inclusion Projects (e.g., Race Equality Charter Mark, Athena SWAN, Disability Inclusion)
- Be responsible for design, planning, managing and delivering large scale, university wide EDI projects or workstreams, ensuring the effective allocation and use of resources
- Monitor and evaluate the impact of activities in line with EDI and institutional strategic objectives
- Gather, manipulate, analyse and interpret data. Select the most appropriate procedure, technique or approach to conduct analysis as appropriate
- Draft and present reports and papers for committees and activities
- Collaborate with the department and other stakeholders to develop and coordinate the delivery of the university wide strategy and projects
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
About the Department
The Equality, Diversity & Inclusion Team is a subject matter expert team within HR whose role is to promote and embed best practice in equality, diversity and inclusion, to enable all staff and students to achieve excellence. The University holds a Bronze Athena SWAN Award and several faculty/departmental Awards. It is one of 17 universities nationally to hold a Race Equality Charter Mark Award. There is a high level of engagement with this agenda from senior management at the University and the Team, along with faculty-based equality, diversity and inclusion staff we have been able to make significant progress on many fronts over the last 3 years. The university has developed and embedded a new strategic approach. This post-holder will be involved in developing and delivering on the outcomes of that, both in terms of setting the strategy and improving the collaboration and coordination of those tasked with its delivery.