This is an increasingly exciting time to join the team at King’s Sport – we are in a position to recover and reinvent from COVID19, and this person will play a key role in supporting with the development of our Gym Operations as well as leading on the implementation and review of our gym experience. This postholder will work with the Gym Supervisors, the Sport Operations Manager and Business & Operations Manager to support the delivery of a world class service across our facilities:
- To assist and deputise for the Business & Operations Manager in managing the King’s Sport Fitness Facilities and coordinating associated programmes to deliver the key King’s Sport strategic objective of promoting healthy behaviours and providing access to fitness and exercise to enhance the wellbeing of the wider university community
- To deliver outstanding fitness operations, quality fitness services and a World Class Service as part of the Fitness Team – implemented across all existing and potential gyms to grow a community and strengthening connections to King’s Sport
- To develop the Health & Fitness Team, comprised of coordination of Health and Fitness Coaches, and management of Front-of-House Teams, Studio Instructors, also including casual and volunteer staff to embed a shared Team spirit and high-performance culture
This post will be offered on a full-time, indefinite contract.
- To coordinate, evaluate and implement a fully comprehensive Group Exercise Product and timetable across all facilities. Managing instructors and coordinating cover when required, reviewing classes on a termly basis as well as payment of instructors in line with local procedures.
- To lead on the review, implementation and evaluation of our gym experience – providing a world class experience to our community whilst using it as a tool to increase engagement in sport and physical activity across the University
- Lead on industry reviews on world class gym and group exercise experiences, whilst supporting the Sport Operations Manager in conducting mystery shops both internally and externally
- Develop and implement quality fitness operational standards and values, with clear measures of performance to create positive environments for exercise and deliver world-class services that enhance the health and wellbeing of our University community.
- Ensure that the facilities and services are operating with the appropriate levels of Health and Safety, working closely with the University Estates and H&SS Teams, ensuring all compliance documentation including Operational Manuals, Risk Assessments, NOP’s and EAP’s are in place and up to date
- Manage all financial operations and reconciliation, including invoicing systems management, ensure collection and recording of all income, and management of Direct Debit services
- To produce Health and Fitness performance reports, based on income, usage and membership levels, reporting back to King’s Sport Senior Management
- Explore opportunities for students to gain employment and have a dual work-study career at university, as part of the Health & Fitness Team
- Conduct PDR reviews and 1-2-1s – identify an internal and external CPD opportunities for the Health & Fitness Team, encouraging all staff to gain additional qualifications to support both personal development and professional delivery
- To develop internal partnerships across the King’s at all campuses to maximise the quality of facilities and services with, Academic Departments, Estates and Facilities, Health & Safety Services, IT, Human Resources, Residential Services, KCLSU, Sustainability, King’s Food, and across all of Student Services
- To develop good working relationships with external agencies that will aid the goals and objectives of the King’s Sport strategy. Including, UKActive, REP’s, CIMSPA, BUCS, Active London, London Sport, Public Health, Sport England NHS, etc.
- To enhance relationships with the residence managers, and ensure effective communication with students living in halls to enable a world class experience.
To assist the Fitness Coach Team To:
- Monitor and coach gym members to ensure their safety and the use of correct techniques when exercising therefore providing quality member experiences
- Write, implement and review inductions and programmes in line with the King’s Sport Gym Experience, supporting behaviour change in exercise adherence.
- Deliver a comprehensive range of fitness workshops, group exercise classes and other elements of the gym experience that ensures that our members are engaged and educated in fitness and their physical wellbeing
- Continually maintain and exceed operational performance of the facilities, being responsible for the opening and closing procedures and ensuring all equipment and the building operates within Health & Safety guidelines making recommendations for enhancement and implementing actions from the results
- Achieve and maintain a high level of cleaning and maintenance, reported and monitored in accordance with the operating policies.
- Develop positive working relationships with the high-performing team of Health and Fitness coaches, King’s Sport staff, and other student service providers within the University to enhance students’ experience
- To assist in the promotion of King’s Sport Health and Fitness and to endorse the brand identity and Values of King’s Sport.
- Conduct any further duties, which may reasonably be required by the King’s Sport Senior Management commensurate with the grade.
Skills, knowledge and experience
- Educated at (A-level) or equivalent
- Level 2 or above certified on REPS register
- First Aid Qualified
- Commitment to Continued Professional Development
- Group exercise Qualification and Significant experience in delivering and coordinating a holistic group fitness programme
- Excellent communication skill across a variety of customer groups and ability to forge good relationships with a variety of departments or user groups
- A strong grasp of information technology and Microsoft office skills including word and excel,
- Experience of working within the fitness industry including, fitness instruction and personal training with Experience of working with the needs of a broad range of Fitness members
- Fitness and studio management, or of developing, supervising, and managing staff` with Knowledge of relevant Health and Safety regulations
- Experience of developing, supervising and managing staff with Knowledge of health and fitness organisations and structures
- Committed to Fit for King’s Values and Friendly outgoing personality, enjoying working with people of all ages with excellent interpersonal skills
- Prepared to work flexible hours, including working weekends and evenings as required
- A degree in Sport & Exercise science (or equivalent) or commensurate health and fitness experience
- Experience of delivering marketing campaigns, especially within a membership or health, fitness and wellbeing promotional context
- A positive experience of working with HE students and staff, and members of the public
- Knowledge and experience and working in a higher education environment and an understanding of the needs of students
- Knowledge of the importance of physical fitness to individual health and wellbeing
King’s Sport are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and we thrive on the benefits this delivers to our students, and staff. We welcome applications from all under-represented backgrounds in particular those within the female community.
This post is subject to Disclosure and Barring Service and Occupational Health clearance.