Working as part of a small team dedicated to supporting the KCL Cleaning and Security Services (CSS), you will provide expert advice and support to the 400+ managers and staff across the university’s Cleaning and Security Service (CSS) on the full range of operational HR issues.
You will have a strong operational HR background and experience working with and advising on the full range of HR policies and practices, including grievances, disciplinary, sickness absence and performance management. You will support managers on a broad range of issues and cases, guiding them through both informal resolutions and formal KCL policies and procedure when required. You will need to be comfortable managing multiple priorities, working at pace and operating independently to make this role a success.
Due to the nature of this workforce, you may be required to work some unsociable hours on occasion.
This post will be offered on an indefinite contract.
This is a full-time post
- Proactively provide professional HR advice, support and guidance to managers and staff across CSS on all employee relations issues, including all aspects of University HR policy and procedures and current employment law, using judgement and creativity to suggest the most appropriate course of action.
- Establish and develop relationships with managers and key contacts across CSS, to understand and advise on people management issues.
- Provide first level advice and support in relation to employee probation, grievance and disciplinary cases through internal procedures, assessing the risks, legal and other implications and financial impact.
- Provide professional advice and support on performance management, absence management, job evaluation, contracts and other general HR queries.
- Proactively provide professional HR support to line managers in all aspects of University absence management policies and procedures. This will include advising on the management of short-term, frequent and long-term absences and facilitating formal absence related meetings.
- Coach and support line managers to build confidence and capability in handling people issues.
- Contribute to the development and delivery of specific HR projects and initiatives for CSS as identified.
- Contribute to the design and delivery of relevant training activities that improve management capability in handling people issues.
- Support the continuous improvement of HR practices in collaboration with the HR Operations Manager.
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge and experience
1. CIPD qualification or equivalent experience, and professional knowledge of current UK employment law and HR best practice
2. Relevant experience of providing first-line HR advice (supporting all levels of staff) using personal judgement and taking a risk-based approach, from initial advisory stages through to more formal case support.
3. Excellent oral and written communication skills, able to adapt style to different stakeholders
4. Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrable ability to form and maintain excellent relationships with a range of clients.
5. Demonstrates initiative and ability to efficiently handle a high-volume workload, thriving while working under pressure and to tight deadlines.
6. Demonstrable ability to work autonomously to meet customer needs, planning and setting priorities to ensure deadlines are met.
1. Experience working with cleaning and security workforce or other operational/front line staff
2. Fluent in Spanish and/or Portuguese