The primary purpose of this role will be to assist and provide technical support to all areas of research within the Faculty and to help maintain the research laboratories in a clean, safe and tidy manner.
The role will entail collection and cleaning of laboratory glassware, and to facilitate the disposal of laboratory waste by collection and sterilization by autoclave.
The technician will maintain stocks of consumables in the Faculty Research Laboratories by transporting goods from the central store and may include ordering via the College purchasing system.
Upon training and direction to make, sterilise & deliver media to the Faculty Research Laboratories.
The candidate will be professional registered through the Science Council or be willing to become registered.
The successful applicant will be eligible to join KCL professional services technical network
Any other duty as directed by the line manager and commensurate with the grade
This post will be offered on an indefinite contract.
This is a full-time post
- Arrange collection & distribution of laundry within the faculty’s research laboratories.
- Collect, wash, dry & return glassware and other items from the faculty’s research laboratories.
- Collect pre-packed items such as glassware & plastic ware from the faculty’s research laboratories that require sterilisation by autoclave & then return once sterilised.
- Collect and autoclave waste from the faculty’s research laboratories.
- Collect autoclaved waste plus clinical waste from the faculty’s research laboratories bins & transport to yellow/orange paladins for disposal.
- Clean the faculty’s research laboratories areas as directed by local laboratory managers.
- Maintain stocks of consumables in the faculty’s research laboratories by transporting goods from the central store, this may include using the KCL online purchasing system & receipt of goods.
- Make up, sterilise & deliver media, under direction, to the faculty’s research laboratories.
- If directed to do so; defrost freezers; clean fridges & freezers within faculty’s research laboratories.
- Support teaching classes if directed to do so.
- Any other duty as directed by the line manager and commensurate with the grade
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
- Experience of working in a research environment
- Understanding of Biology and/or Bioengineering research
- Ability to learn and assimilate information quickly
- Able to use a computer
- Ability to pay attention to detail
- Knowledge of Health & Safety Regulations
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Able to multi-task and manage a varied workload with flexibility
- Ability to communicate at all levels & interact effectively with Colleagues