In order to sustain and deliver excellence in education innovation and research enhanced undergraduate and postgraduate education; and to support the business-critical need in blended/hybrid and distance/online education delivery, FoDOCS CDE is recruiting a new Lecturer post in Education. The appointment is to the Academic Education Pathway (AEP), which is focused on the delivery of education, including leadership in education. Indicatively, 80% of a staff member’s activities will be accounted for by a combination of educational leadership and innovation, teaching, supervision, student support, and administration and the remaining 20% will be dedicated to scholarship.
This new post will play a key role in the collaborative envisioning, planning, and organisation in helping develop, convene, teach, and assess a range of intellectually vibrant faculty and cross-Faculty undergraduate modules in topics relating to Cultural Competency, King’s-wide new curriculum and service, initiatives as part of One King’s, King’s First Year. The postholder will also be expected to draw on the latest research and pedagogy, articulating the significant interface between inclusive education, culture(s), language(s), and identity/identities, exploring both the theorisation of Cultural Competency across disciplines, and its application in diverse social, community, and professional contexts, and also expertise in educational methods in assessment of clinical competence. In addition, the new postholder will also be expected to bring in expertise in mixed methods (strong working knowledge in applying statistics for education research). This new post is expected to have a strong teaching and research record to complement existing strengths in education and bring additional education expertise that will help fill the gap and impact the NSS, PTES and REF returns.
• Undertaking of internationally-leading educational research complementary to the overall research strategy of the Faculty
• Supporting nationally and internationally funded education projects, curriculum and e-assessment development
• Supervising education research projects both at the UG, PG and PhD levels
• Evaluating rich education datasets from curricular programmes (e.g., competence assessments, e-portfolio, simulation).
• Applying breadth of education research designs, both in conducting mixed methods, quantitative and qualitative research (working knowledge in statistical analysis applied in education research)
• Supporting and helping other FoDOCS CDE members who have less experience in conducting education research to publish education research initiative
• Contributing to the FODOCS’s teaching staff development programme to develop capacity and skills in staff for curriculum development and innovative teaching approaches
• Supporting university’s 2029 vision and initiatives
To find out more, about the FoDOCS CDE see: https://www.kcl.ac.uk/dentistry/centre-for-dental-education
This post will report to the Dean for Education and Head of the FoDOCS Centre for Dental Education and the Academic Lead in Digital Education.
This post is open ended at 100% full time equivalent.
This post will be offered on an indefinite contract .
This is a full-time post – 100% full time equivalent
- Contributing to the teaching in the Dentistry and Society and Clinical Humanities modules in the UG, and also in PG where relevant by undertaking curriculum design and development with programme teams
- Contributing to teaching in modules and programmes of study as relevant to the role;
- Supervising education research projects both at the UG, PG and PhD level and collaborating with other three FoDOCS Centre members how are interested in co-researching education projects
- Conducting education research (mixed methods design, quantitative and qualitative research, statistical analysis applied in education research);
- Undertaking high quality research related to the FoDOCS CDE themes (Clinical Humanities, Clinical Simulation, Curriculum and Education Evaluation, Cariology and Science Education);
- Writing research grant proposals, leading publications in the area of expertise
- Providing support in our blended, online and essential in-person support to staff and students in developing digital and online learning resources
- Engaging in development of learning and teaching methodologies including contributing to the new initiatives and forthcoming TEL development projects, e-learning requirements for modifications of curricula, revising and updating blended and distance learning programmes,
- Supporting internationally funded education projects, curriculum, and e-assessment development
- Evaluating rich education datasets from curricular programmes (e.g., competence assessments, e-portfolio, simulation).
- Contributing to the FODOCS’s teaching staff development programme to develop capacity and skills in staff for curriculum development and innovative teaching approaches
- Supporting and helping other FoDOCS CDE members who have less experience in conducting education research to publish education research initiatives.
- Supporting university’s 2029 vision and initiatives and faculty strategy.
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
- Experience in teaching at HE level
- Experience in conducting education research
- Knowledge in Inclusive Education, Cultural Competency, and its application in diverse social, community, and professional contexts, and also Knowledge in mixed methods design, education and learning theories, pedagogical practices in healthcare and related disciplines
- A higher degree and Doctorate in relevant discipline (e.g., Education, Education Technology, Dental Education)
- Experience in Teaching at HE level (with HEA fellowship or equivalent; desirable experience in co-teaching in healthcare practice/cultural competency/inclusive education)
- Experience in mixed methods analysis applied in education research
- Expertise in educational methods in assessment, (desirable if applied in assessment of clinical competence)
- Evidence of scholarship and publications record in education and education research at a nationally and international level. (Desirable evidence of research excellence with a track record of publications (expected level based on 3*- 4* REF profile)
- Commitment to developing funded research in the field and educational consultancy
- Proficiency in Information technology skills sufficient to be able to use/update e-learning platforms and deliver teaching on-line (desirable: ability to contribute to academic policy formulation and strategic planning at Faculty and Institute level).
- Experience in evaluating education datasets for quality assurance
- Ability to work collaboratively across disciplines and with people from diverse backgrounds
- Evidence of commitment to personal learning, academic and professional development.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to attend an interview. At the interview, the candidate will also give a presentation. Details of the presentation will be specified in the interview invitation.
There will also be a test assessing understanding and interpreting of education datasets.