The post holder will provide high quality general administrative support to the School, with specific School wide support to the School Research Manager.
To work closely with the School Research Manager and the Core Team to support Pre-Award processes such as grant applications, award acceptance and award set up.
To support Post Award processes such as providing guidance to our Academics on eligible and ineligible costs on a grant, flagging up risks with the School Research Manager and help find solutions to funding issues.
To forge good working relationships with our colleagues in the Research Management, Innovation & Directorate Central Department.
To provide guidance and training to Staff and Students on research-specific matters – such as university policy/ processes, passing more complex issues to the School’s Research Manager who will liaise with the centre research support Teams as required.
To use and provide guidance to Staff on the use of the Research Grants Management system (Worktribe) and the Finance system (KFIN).
To support with the preparation of the School’s submission to the Research Excellence Framework, advising Staff on the requirements/ expectations and assist in gathering data.
To work closely with the School’s Research Manager, who is the primary contact in the School for the central research support Teams, to ensure research support for the School:
- is aligned to the wider university research function
- is professional, well-executed and timely
- is compliant with university policies, funders’ terms and conditions and adopts best practice.
In addition, as a member of the School’s professional services Team, the post holder will provide high quality general administrative support to the School across all locations, as required.
To provide advice and guidance and, where appropriate, training on University policies, processes and where required, source information and support for colleagues to facilitate their work.
To use, maintain and promote University-wide systems, ensuring efficient processes are in place to maintain high quality data, providing training to colleagues as required in order to ensure accurate data are maintained and accessible.
To have a broad and in-depth knowledge of higher education polices, processes and systems, work with all School/ Faculty Staff to solve problems and provide solutions, efficiently and effectively.
To prepare and support Meetings, Boards, and Committees, including the coordination and distribution of papers and taking notes or minutes, as required.
To support the planning and organisation of events and projects, including visiting delegations.
To forge relationships with colleagues in the School, Faculty and university, in order to contribute to process development and adoption of best practice.
To foster a stimulating, innovative and inclusive cultural environment across the School enabling Students and Staff to thrive and develop, ensuring that processes and policies are visible, accessible and transparent.
To participate in cross-School/ Faculty/ University projects and initiatives.
This is a full-time post, an indefinite contract with a 6 months probation period.
- To specifically support and deputise for the School’s Research Manager
- To be a high-end user as well as championing the use of systems, specifically the Research Grants Management system (Worktribe) and the Finance system, (KFIN).
- To work with the School’s Research Manager, to support School Staff with all tasks that span the life cycle of a Research Grant; Pre-Award to Award set up, Award Management to Final Reports.
- Build knowledge on Funder terms and conditions, such as eligible and ineligible costs, and be able to clearly communicate these to Staff in the School.
- Develop a detailed understanding of the School’s research profile, current funding portfolio and facilities.
- Build knowledge of funding opportunities, and ways of maximising overhead generation for the School, along with the output and impact of the School’s research.
- Support external applicants who are applying for fellowship funding; assist honorary and adjunct colleagues with updating their PURE pages, applying for grant funding.
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
- Proven Professional Services skills gained within the Higher Education sector and a detailed knowledge the regulatory, policy and procedural context along with the challenges and opportunities faced by the sector
- Highly numerate with proven financial management and analytical skills to underpin strategic financial strategic decisions and procedure
- Ability to work under pressure in a busy environment
- Experience of financial planning and implementation, including preparing budget, financial profiling, preparing business cases and plans, and monitoring key performance indicators, budgets and risks
- Ability to multitask
- Ability to prioritise own workload
- Accuracy/ability to pay attention to detail
- Ability to follow guidance and instruction
- Excellent task management skills both for self and others, meeting tight deadlines
- Ability to follow up in a timely manner
- Excellent communication, negotiation and influencing skills at all levels
- Knowledge of Research practice and policy in Health (Bioscience/
- Experience of finance processes i.e. budgeting/forecasting/research grants.
- Experience of using complex databases and management information systems