The post holder is a member of the School’s professional services team, providing high quality general administrative support to the School.
Provide support to academic activities as required and defined by the Core team/School or academic, such as diary management, meeting coordination, reception support, assisting visitors, managing room bookings – including audio visual equipment, catering and confirmation to participants and security, Teams meetings, Zoom meetings.
Support academics with day-to-day financial matters, such as purchase orders, expenses, invoices and assisting with Research Grants Management system (Worktribe) and the Finance system (KFIN).
Build strong working relationships with school staff and students and key partners beyond the university.
Assist with the local dissemination of information issued by the School’s Core team and university central teams to the relevant staff and students; providing advice to staff and students on university and external regulations and policies, including for example General Data Protection Regulation, interpreting and explaining these as required, and complying with all regulations and policies in own work.
Develop a good understanding of the School’s range of activities, funding profile and facilities, representing the School at meetings, participating in working groups as appropriate.
Work closely with School’s Communications & Engagement Officer and Faculty Communications & Marketing team to promote and raise the profile of the academic work of the School, including Tier 4 level.
Work closely with the School Technical Manager and local technical team, acting as a local point of contact as required.
Create an ethos of collaboration and collegiality, establishing effective communications and relationships, and encouraging staff to work in partnership with colleagues across the university, to eliminate potential barriers, enhance collegiality and develop best practice through actively contributing to King’s initiatives, including professional networks.
Act as local champion of new and existing IT systems supporting training and the use of standard processes and procedures for new ways of working, maximising the benefits of the standard operating environment and university systems.
Support the School’s Core team in providing data requested by Faculty and university teams for inclusion in appropriate submissions, surveys and annual reporting processes.
Service committees as required
Facilitate an inclusive culture and ethos across the School groups, ensuring that professional services staff work in partnership with academic staff in the shool/institutes and professional services colleagues in the Faculty team and functional works.
Actively engage with the School and Faculty’s contribution to the King’s Vision 2029 and Research and Education strategies.
This is a full-time post, an indefinite contract with a 6 month probation period.
- To provide efficient operational support to staff and students in the School
- To use, maintain and promote university-wide systems, ensuring efficient processes are in place to maintain high quality data, providing training to colleagues as required in order to ensure accurate data are maintained and accessible
- To prepare communications, draft presentations, briefing documents and background materials as required
- To prepare and support meetings, boards, and committees, including the coordination and distribution of papers and taking notes or minutes, as required
- Act as the local contact for the School’s HR & Finance Manager
- Work with the School HR & Finance Manager regarding contract extensions for fixed term contracts and supporting processes for the contract extension or termination, with oversight of the HR & Finance Manager
- Act as the local contact for the staff and students to raise awareness and support them with the annual processes, including PDR, Pay recognition, probation, academic probation and academic promotion
- Act as the local contact for the School’s Research Manager
- Working with the School’s Research Manager to provide research support for the academics, including costing grants, supporting post-award process processes, on-going management and reporting for grants held by staff in the School
- Contribute to School/University initiatives
- Undertake any other reasonable duties and projects as requested
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
- Educated to degree level or relevant experience
- Proven commitment to ongoing skills development
- Proven Professional Services skills gained within the Higher Education sector and a detailed knowledge of the regulatory, policy and procedural context along with the challenges and opportunities faced by the sector
- Highly numerate with proven financial management and analytical skills to underpin strategic financial decisions and procedure
- Excellent communication, negotiation and influencing skills at all levels
- Experience of building an effective network across a complex organisation and with external stakeholders
- Ability to work under pressure in a busy environment
- Ability to multitask.
- Ability to prioritise own workload.
- Accuracy/ability to pay attention to detail.
- Ability to follow guidance and instruction.
- Tenacity/ability to follow up in a timely manner
- A commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion, actively addressing areas of potential bias
- Solutions and quality focused
- Commitment to good practice and following process/procedure
- Excellent task management skills both for self and others, meeting tight deadlines
- Outstanding people skills – able to build rapport with colleagues, students and prospective students
- Detailed understanding of education provision in higher Education institutions, the regulatory context and best practice
- Experience of financial planning and implementation, including preparing budget, financial profiling, preparing business cases and plans, and monitoring key performance indicators, budgets and risks
- Experience of using complex databases and management information systems