This exciting new role will take responsibility for providing the information to drive fundraising performance across our uniquely complex fundraising team. We operate a partnership model, fundraising for three partners (King’s College London, King’s Health Partners and Guy’s and St Thomas’ Foundation on behalf of Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Trust) with the best fundraisers in all disciplines engaging multiple audiences.
This diverse portfolio of audiences, fundraising mechanisms and engagement opportunities means that integrated planning and performance tracking are particularly important. Reporting to the Head of Planning and Performance, you will support and advise on all F&SD operational planning and performance tracking, working closely with the Directors and Heads of Teams to enable evidence-based decision making.
You will focus on the provision of information for fundraising planning and reporting purposes, developing and improving the scope and depth of information in close conjunction with the Data Team. You will look externally to help the Directors respond to our partners’ information and reporting requirements. You will be responsible for enabling effective performance management throughout the Department in a proactive and supportive manner.
Both internally and externally, you will be helping to drive our fundraising performance to the next level and transform the way in which we use information to be one of the best performing fundraising departments. You will bring skills from other environments that provide challenge to drive improvements, identifying and supporting opportunities to increase efficiency and effectiveness across the Department. You will step up to deputise for the Head in their absence, including acting as a confidential adviser to senior staff.
This post will be offered on an indefinite contract.
This is a full-time post – 100% full time equivalent.
- Share responsibility for maintaining, developing and communicating the internal planning context across the whole Department
- Enable the development of records both narrative and financial for all planning purposes in conjunction with senior staff and share appropriately
- Support the Head of Planning & Performance with the reporting of performance in all environments, working across the Department to ensure that accurate reports are made internally and externally in a timely manner as part of effective governance arrangements
- Help design, develop and measure Key Performance Indicators in the Department for internal and external use
- Support the Department to find ways of improving organisational and operational effectiveness through more innovative or streamlined ways of working.
- Support the Senior Business Manager and the Head of Planning and Performance to ensure congruity and coherence between partners fundraising strategies, the F&SD Enabling Strategy, the annual planning process and team/personal objectives
- Advise on the impact, enable and monitor implementation of any strategic shifts, organisational changes or Department-wide operational improvement projects
- Deputise for the Head of Planning and Performance in their absence, including acting as a confidential and trusted adviser to the executive team on sensitive issues.
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
1. Educated to degree level with evidence of relevant continuing professional development
2. Evidence of financial training and a good understanding of department financial management issues
3. Knowledge and experience of Key Performance Indicator design, development and reporting
4. Strong experience of performance management at all levels, including setting targets, monitoring and reporting
5. Strong analytical, business and enquiry skills, with the ability to think strategically and manage detail
6. Ability to distil and present complex information simply
7. Strong presentation and communication skills in all formats
8. Strong interpersonal skills, able to build rapport and credibility with senior colleagues and stakeholders across multiple organisations.
1. Qualified or part-qualified accountant
2. Knowledge and understanding of information systems, including CRMs, particularly Microsoft Dynamics 365
3. Well-developed commercial acumen
4. Project management skills and experience
All F&SD appointments involve a standard skills-based interview, followed (for up to two appointable candidates) by a Core Values interview.
About Fundraising & Supporter Development
Fundraising and Supporter Development (F&SD) is an integrated department that provides a single fundraising and supporter engagement function in support of King’s College London, Guy’s and St Thomas’ Trust and for King’s Health Partners. In doing so, we work closely with and on behalf of the Guy’s and St Thomas’ Foundation and the Maudsley Charity. Based at King’s College London, we work with colleagues across our partners to help them serve society through world-leading education, research and healthcare.
We operate a unique and powerful model, which brings together fundraising for all our partners across major and principal gifts; trusts & foundations; legacies; corporate engagement and public fundraising. We also promote King’s College London’s engagement with its worldwide alumni community, as well as engaging more broadly with supporters of all our partners. Our work is underpinned and enhanced by a range of dedicated professionals in areas such as donor relations, communications and marketing, prospect research, finance, data, supporter services, governance and general administration.
By pooling our passion and expertise, our potential and impact is maximised – to the benefit of our partners and their beneficiaries, supporters and donors. Our model also drives benefits for our staff, who get to work in a unique environment, engaging with several world-leading organisations and having opportunities to learn about and work across the many different component parts of our activity.
We have an impressive, well-established track record of success in securing support that allows our partners to deliver on their missions. This includes our global, award-winning World Questions: King’s Answers campaign for King’s College London, which set the standard in the sector and enabled us to raise substantial funds to help tackle some of the world’s biggest challenges. Ambitious and innovative, the team has won awards across the higher education and charity sectors, including a CASE Platinum Award for Fundraising and a CASE Gold Award for Donor Relations and Stewardship.
We continue to set ourselves high standards and expectations in terms of supporting our partners, mapping out ambitious fundraising campaigns and appeals where we want to achieve ground-breaking milestones in areas such as children and young people’s mental health; sickle cell disease; cardiology; cancer; global women’s leadership; engineering; international relations and support for students who will go out and make a difference in the world. We are a strongly values-driven team, maximising the benefits of working across internationally-leading organisations and united in our ambition to support our partners in making a real and positive difference to their beneficiaries and the world we live in.
King’s Health Partners
King’s Health Partners (KHP) is an Academic Health Sciences Centre and a partnership between King’s College London and three NHS Foundation Trusts – Guys and St Thomas’, King’s College Hospital and South London and Maudsley. We bring together 40,000 NHS Staff with 30,000 students and researchers to join up world class research, education and pioneering clinical practice. Our partnership sees 4.8 million patient contacts each year. Academic Health Sciences Centres are engine rooms of high impact and innovation discovering new insights into disease, transforming diagnostics and unlocking new therapies. We speed up the time it takes to translate research and high impact innovations in physical and mental health into outstanding patient care. We do this by working in dedicated clinical academic groups and institutes and by involving more and more people in clinical trials and research. For more information, visit: www.kingshealthpartners.org
King’s College London
King’s College London is an internationally renowned university delivering exceptional education and world-leading research. The university is dedicated to driving positive and sustainable change in society and realising our vision of making the world a better place. Through its commitment to exceptional education, impactful research and genuine service to society, King’s College London is creating positive change in its communities, both in London and on the world stage. The Strategic Vision 2029 looks forward to King’s College London’s 200th anniversary in 2029 and sets out ambitious plans in five key areas:
- Educating the next generation of change-makers;
- Challenging ideas and driving change through research;
- Giving back to society through meaningful service;
- Working with our local communities in London;
- Fostering global citizens with an international perspective.
Guy’s and St Thomas’ Foundation and Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust
We work closely with and on behalf of Guy’s and St Thomas’s Foundation to secure income and engage stakeholders in support of Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust. The Trust is among the UK’s busiest and most successful foundation trusts, with a long history of clinical excellence and high-quality care. The Trust is made up of two of London’s best known teaching hospitals – St Thomas’ Hospital and Guy’s Hospital. It also includes Evelina London Children’s Hospital and both adult and children’s community services in Lambeth and Southwark.
Dedication to the communities it serves is at the heart of everything the Trust undertakes, providing high quality and personal care. The Trust is guided by its values: putting patients first, taking pride in what we do, respecting others, striving to be the best and acting with integrity. Royal Brompton and Harefield hospitals became part of Guy’s and St Thomas’ in February 2021, bringing together world-leading expertise and research in heart and lung disease.