This post is supported by an RO1 award from the NIH-NIDCR in the USA jointly with colleagues at Georgia Tech and Harvard. The aim of the proposed research at KCL is to investigate the stem cell microenvironments in dental tissues of mammals in particular the role and activation of quiescent reservoir cells.
This post will be offered on an 12 months contract (renewal annually for up to 2 years).
This is a Full time post – 100 % full time equivalent.
- Responsible for carrying out all the experiments as detailed on the RO1 application under the guidance of the grant holders.
- Responsibility for the day-to-day management of the project including managing biological resources and as required for the project. Plan, organise and schedule own day-to-day work. Carry out the research with a high level of technical skill.
- Liaise regularly with the team leaders and other relevant scientists about the work.
- Develop new techniques as needed by the project, including visits to other laboratories if required. Train other lab members in the use of relevant techniques.
- Carry out day-to-day supervision of any students and research assistants involved in the project, as required.
- Keep up to date with the relevant scientific literature. Analyse and prepare data for publication in peer-reviewed journals. Present the findings at internal, national and international conferences.
- Provide detailed records of data generated and associated analysis. Ensure compliance with Home Office and other regulatory requirements for record-keeping.
- Contribute to general shared laboratory duties to ensure smooth running of all projects of the team. Take a full part in the outreach activities of the laboratory
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
• Hold or about to hold a PhD in a relevant scientific field, or equivalent qualification
• Strong knowledge of either molecular genetics or mouse genetics
• Experience in genetic cell lineage tracing
• Use of IT resources including databases and literature searching
• Experience of tissue sectioning and gene/protein localization
• Experience in animal handling
• Highly motivated, hard working, adaptable, enthusiastic
• Able to communicate findings verbally and in writing
• Able to multi-task and prioritise workload, good time management.
• Able to take initiative to solve technical problems and work to Good Laboratory Practice
• Relevant postgraduate experience in laboratory research
• Home Office personal licence
• Knowledge of early tooth development
• Knowledge of adult stromal stem cells
• Experience in molecular genetic and immunohistochemical techniques
• Experience in working with cells and histology
• Experience in confocal microscopy