We are looking for an enthusiastic post-doctoral Research Associate for an exciting project that seeks to better understand (1) exposure to public health messaging around e-cigarettes in England, Canada and the US; (2) content of online e-cigarette marketing among retailers in the UK and; (3) the appeal and harm perceptions of e-cigarette packaging, including the potential impact of standardised packaging of e-cigarettes. This project is funded by Cancer Research UK (CRUK) and is a joint collaboration between King’s College London and the University of Waterloo (Canada).
The postholder will carry out data analyses and prepare relevant papers for publication. The postholder will also be actively involved in disseminating research findings via conferences. The postholder will also work in collaboration with the internal research team and external collaborators to help deliver the Work Packages pertaining to the project.
This post will be offered on an a fixed-term contract for 15 months
This is a full-time post, but part-time can also be considered.
- Collect data and carry out relevant data analyses pertaining to the project
- Ability to work effectively on multiple tasks/deliverables
- Be able to draft manuscripts with a view for submission into high impact factor journals
- Work as part of a team to prepare documentation for abstracts/posters for scientific meetings and conferences
- Support the Principal Investigator and Co-Investigators in the delivery of Work Packages pertaining to the project
- Work as part of a team to prepare and submit ethics amendment applications (as needed)
- Undertake any training courses necessary to assist in delivery of the Work Package objectives
- Support supervision of more junior researchers or project students
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
1. Hold, or be close to completion, of a PhD degree in psychology, health data science or health-related subject
2. Previous experience in quantitative data analysis including regression modelling and longitudinal data analysis
3. Experience working with statistical software packages (SAS, SPSS or R)
4. Previous experience drafting and submitting scientific papers for publication
5. Excellent written and verbal communication skills
6. Ability to organize own time and work independently
7. Ability to collaborate and work effectively as part of a team
8. Ability to work effectively on multiple tasks/deliverables
9. Ability to work under tight timelines
1. Previous project management experience
2. Willingness to help train others in the team and support them as needed
3. Previous experience in the field of e-cigarettes and tobacco control
* Please note that this is a PhD level role but candidates who have submitted their thesis and are awaiting award of their PhDs will be considered. In these circumstances the appointment will be made at Grade 5, spine point 30 with the title of Research Assistant. Upon confirmation of the award of the PhD, the job title will become Research Associate and the salary will increase to Grade 6.