We have a vacancy in the Research Management & Innovation Directorate of King’s College London for the role of RMID Health & Safety Manager.
The role holder will provide expert assistance, advice and support for the Research Management & Innovation Directorate (RMID) in order for the directorate to comply with current Health & Safety (H&S) legislation and the Health, Safety & Wellbeing policies of King’s College London.
Reporting to the Director of Research Platforms, the post holder will liaise with colleagues throughout RMID, with particular focus on supporting the needs of the Research Platforms to ensure that they deliver safe operational environments and processes for the researchers that use them. The role holder will be functionally aligned and work closely with King’s central Health & Safety Services (H&SS) team and their counterparts in the faculties.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the timely and optimal delivery of their duties. They should be able to manage their own workload and engage with stakeholders as required. The post holder will work closely with the Head of Research Operations to disseminate Health, Safety & Wellbeing information to all staff in the directorate. The post holder will maintain close links with H&S professionals within other King’s faculties, and in particular be a member of the King’s Health Faculties Safety Group and King’s H&S Professional Networking Group.
The position will be an exciting opportunity to work across a range of disciplines. The Research Management & Innovation Directorate encompasses Biological Services and other Research Facilities, including GMP manufacturing of gene therapy vectors, a newly established CL3 Schedule 5 facility, electron and light microscopy facilities, genomics and NMR and mass spectrometry-based facilities. Many of these research facilities are utilised by researchers from across King’s and also host external users. The post holder will be based at Lavington Street, but will be required to travel to other King’s campuses on a regular basis.
This post will be offered on an indefinite contract
This is a full-time post
- Provide expert assistance, advice and support to RMID staff to ensure Health, Safety & Wellbeing compliance across the directorate
- Lead on the development of processes to ensure safe working in King’s research platforms that complement and link with those already in place within faculties
- Ensure that Health, Safety & Wellbeing practices are both communicated and complied with across the directorate
- Build strong working relationships with key RMID staff to support the Health, Safety & Wellbeing needs of the directorate along with other H&S professional across the organisation to ensure matrix support to King’s researchers
- To maintain appropriate records as required by legislation
- To take action to suspend work that poses an imminent risk of serious personal injury.
- The post holder will undertake regular reviews of compliance through audits and inspections, providing reports to Senior Management team of RMID
- To liaise with appropriate regulatory authorities on health and safety matters, alongside central college safety team
- To assist in identifying health and safety training within RMID and where appropriate organise/develop training
- Participation in meetings to help develop project proposals to be implemented in Biological Services Units and the Core Facilities to ensure health and safety adherence
- Collate information on accident reports within RMID and investigate where required
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
- Appropriate qualifications and experience of Health & Safety Management in complex scientific environments. Either have or be prepared to work towards obtaining NEBOSH certification
- Highly computer literate and demonstrable ability to use the Microsoft Office 365 Suite – ideally including SharePoint and Teams
- Excellent communication, orally and in writing, along with strong interpersonal and influencing/behavioural skills
- Have an in-depth knowledge of specialist technical or scientific practices, methods and procedures applicable to work area and to share best practice
- A broad understanding of effective approaches to train and teach individuals in methodologies and techniques
- Full working knowledge of Health & Safety regulations governing area of work
- Excellent planning & organisational skills, with the ability to manage competing priorities
- Ability to apply learnt techniques/skills to the work context
- Previous experience of biohazard work
- Previous experience of university research environment
- Previous experience of Containment Level 3 research facilities
- Previous experience of GMP manufacturing environment
*Please note that this is a PhD level role but candidates who have submitted their thesis and are awaiting award of their PhDs will be considered. In these circumstances the appointment will be made at Grade 5, spine point 30 with the title of Research Assistant. Upon confirmation of the award of the PhD, the job title will become Research Associate and the salary will increase to Grade 6.