The King’s Admissions Office is responsible for the Undergraduate and Postgraduate admissions services at King’s College London and receives around 120,000 unique and diverse applications each year. While we aim to process applications efficiently and effectively, we also provide a high level of customer service.
About the role
A Senior Admissions Officer manages a team of Admissions Officers to deliver a professional and proactive admissions service for the university. This includes setting clear objectives and overseeing the team’s workload to ensure a high-quality applicant experience and accurate, efficient decision-making.
As a team leader, the post-holder will be the main point of contact for queries from Admissions Officers and colleagues across the university and will be required to research and advise on non-standard qualifications and fee statuses. They will conduct training and impart knowledge with other members of the team, working collaboratively towards a shared goal.
The post-holder will be responsible for assisting the university in reaching its admissions targets by monitoring progress of decisions and analysing trends in data. They will work collaboratively with colleagues in Admissions and across the university to ensure a consistent and fair admissions process.
We encourage applications from candidates who have experience from both within and outside of the Higher Education sector where they can demonstrate the skills needed to succeed in this role.
This post will be offered on an indefinite contract.
This post is offered as a full-time post, but we welcome applications from candidates seeking a flexible work pattern within our necessary service operating hours.
Annual leave restrictions may apply during peak periods (predominantly in August).
- Responsible for managing a team of Admissions Officers.
- Setting objectives and reviewing performance regularly to evaluate progress, monitoring and reviewing workload within agreed parameters and timescales.
- Coordinate day-to-day line management duties, including training, staff conduct and attendance
- Set up new programmes on the relevant systems, and monitor progress of applications/offers against agreed targets using statistical data to provide appropriate and timely information, and escalating any potential issues to senior colleagues
- Oversee the smooth running of applicant interview days where appropriate
- Implement and oversee the compliance of existing and new guidance and policies in line with internal and external regulations, and accreditation requirements, such as GDPR, UKVI regulations, DBS and Occupational Health
- Responsible for maintaining accurate applicant records, the effective delivery of admissions processes and using an evidence-based approach to advise Admissions Officers on complex applicant queries in a timely manner
- Ensure that current procedures are accurately and consistently followed, and be proactive in reviewing any procedures and implementing changes as appropriate, including contributing to the development of admissions systems and software as required
- Build and maintain relationships with Faculty colleagues and external colleagues and partners to support the delivery of admissions processes
- Deliver a responsive and high-quality service in a customer-facing environment with the ability to deal with challenges that may arise, including investigating and resolving low-level complaints
- Be proficient in using various software, systems and databases, e.g. UCAS, SITS, the Admissions Portal, and verification websites such as NARIC, IELTS
- Commit to safeguarding confidential and commercially sensitive data within the workplace
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
• Able to work to a high level of accuracy and attention to detail
• Excellent time management and organisational skills, working to tight deadlines and with minimal supervision
• Excellent written and oral communication skills, with the ability to negotiate effectively with colleagues at all levels
• Ability to work under pressure to complete a range of competing priorities; requesting and utilising support as required
• Working effectively in a team and collaborating with colleagues, with experience in leading others and motivating a team
• Successful stakeholder management, working with a broad range of stakeholders in a professional manner
• Ability to demonstrate understanding and awareness of skills required in effective line management
• Delivering a high level of service in a customer-facing environment with the aptitude to deal with challenges
• Commitment to equality and diversity, wellbeing and sustainability in the workplace
• Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Excel and Word
• Successfully managing or supervising staff, including performance management
• Strong numeracy skills and ability to analyse numerical data
• Knowledge and understanding of higher education, and current issues and challenges in higher education Admissions
Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Excel and Word
Your application should clearly set out how you meet the essential criteria as this is how we shortlist applications. Learn more about how we recruit, including tips on writing your application and supporting statement on our website: https://jobs.kcl.ac.uk/gb/en/applying
Interviews will be held using Microsoft Teams and will consist of competency-based questions linked closely to the essential and desirable criteria mentioned here.
Although we have made improvements over the last number of years, our team is still under-represented in terms of staff from global majority ethnicities, LGBTQ+ identities, and from people with disabilities. We encourage applications from all backgrounds, communities and industries, and are committed to employing a team that has diverse skills, experiences and abilities.
Interviews are provisionally scheduled to take place week commencing 29 November 2021.