The role forms part of a busy assessment and examination team within the Faculty Education Services department. It is responsible for providing a professional and quality service to students and academics in the Faculty of Life Sciences & Medicine.
We are seeking an enthusiastic, proactive administrator who is committed to providing an excellent assessment provision. The role will be expected to coordinate a broad range of operational activity including; general student enquiries, exam paper production, online coursework submission, mark sheet production, results processing and student feedback.
The post holder must be an excellent communicator able to present information clearly and concisely with experience of servicing assessment boards and producing reports. Applicants must have excellent IT skills, specifically Microsoft Excel and some experience of a student record system and/or VLE would be beneficial. The role holder will be expected to manage a varied workload often across competing priorities, requiring the ability to negotiate and influence to deliver an excellent service.
This post will be offered on an indefinite contract.
This is a full-time post.
- To deliver a professional and service centric assessment provision across all aspects of examination and coursework administration, supporting the requirements of the professional programmes within the Faculty of Life Sciences and Medicine (FoLSM)
- To coordinate a team of Assessment Officers within the Faculty Education Service department (FES) ensuring a consistent, accurate and timely service across all operational assessment activity; including exam content/paper production, exam scheduling, coursework/project submission, coordination of mark entry and results processing, production of feedback and publication
- To provide full servicing duties to Assessment Sub Boards and Assessment Boards ensuring board paperwork is accurate and completed in good time. Maintaining up to date knowledge of College and programme regulations and relevant external PSRB standards in order to provide authoritative guidance to both students and academic colleagues
- Working closely with the Exams & Coursework Manager to coordinate all assessment activity across the full academic cycle; proactively contributing to the production of operational plans. Liaising with the central College Exams and Award Team and working closely with programme and assessment leads
- To support the production of examination timetables, coursework and project submission schedules, extension and resit timelines across all summative and formative assessment for a range of professional health programmes
- To regularly liaise with academic leads managing the collation of questions and content for the production of both paper and online examinations; supporting with blueprinting and standard setting and ensuring adherence to quality assurance standards, external examiner scrutiny and print deadlines
- To coordinate and run external exam events (such as PSA, SJT) booking venues, arranging invigilation and examiners. Ensuring papers are available at venues along with all other materials and effective routines are in place for the collection and reconciliation of answer sheets.
- To coordinate student submissions across a broad range of coursework, assignments, project and portfolio; ensuring that online submission systems such as the virtual learning environment (Keats) and supporting processes and procedures are effective and meet student and marker requirements
- To support the Exams & Coursework Manager and Head of Assessment & Examinations in the delivery of technological advances with SITS, online portfolio other new applications; identifying enhancements to process and supporting with implementing changes to procedures and ways of working
- Responsible for managing the collation of mark entry and feedback, ensuring adherence to processing deadlines, mark schemes and programme regulations; proactively encouraging academic colleagues to complete marking and feedback on time, ensuring results are entered accurately onto SITS, that feedback routines are met; proactively identifying and escalating delays to processing as necessary
- Responsible for the day to day organisation of tasks within the team, ensuring all activity is well planned and where necessary in conjunction with the Exams & Coursework Manager reprioritised where there are conflicting priorities across a varied workload
- To provide full servicing responsibilities to Assessment Boards across a range of programmes, supporting with determining the annual cycle of meetings, room bookings, production of agenda, attendance records and secure distribution of papers and formal minute writing
- To support with the timely processing of mitigating circumstances (MC); responding to students, supporting with preparation of paperwork for the MC Panel and maintaining accurate records
- Accountable for the data quality of assessment records, ensuring record keeping is accurately maintained and is of a highly organised standard, able to withstand the scrutiny of audit at short notice. This high standard extends across all record keeping whether on spreadsheets, paper or the SITS student record; whether current or archived and in accordance with agreed retention schedules
- To ensure all work is carried out in a professional and timely manner; with appropriate confidentiality and sensitivity. The role is expected to maintain up to date knowledge of Data Protection and Freedom of Information requirements
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
- Degree or equivalent
- Excellent communication and presentation skills; demonstrable ability to present information clearly, accurately and concisely to diverse audiences
- Excellent time management with the ability to organise, and plan effectively across competing priorities
- Excellent attention to detail with methodical, exacting standards of written and numerical accuracy
- Able to manage individual workload and others while ensuring overall team standards and performance are delivered
- Ability to make timely informed decisions and independently resolve problems
- Previous HE examination or event coordination experience; with an emphasis on working across a range of assessment activity
- Excellent IT experience, across all Microsoft packages; advanced excel user and experience of production of analytical data reporting
- There may be some travel to hospital sites and other placement providers
- Experience of programme governance and delivering professional committee servicing
- Evidence of capability to interpret and apply College and programme regulations maintaining up to date knowledge of external statutory compliance obligations
Interviews will take place online on Friday 14 January 2022, involving a test and panel questions.