Newcastle University, UK has established an international branch campus in Iskandar Puteri, Johor, Malaysia for the provision of its undergraduate Bachelor of MBBS, Biomedical Sciences degree and Foundation in Biomedical Sciences programmes in the Biomedical Sciences. We now invite dynamic and highly motivated individuals to apply for the following positions:
Applications are invited for 6 clinical teaching & education fellowship posts available at Newcastle University Medicine Malaysia starting in August 2021. These posts are suitable for registered medical practitioners with at least two years post-qualification experience by July 2021, who wish to gain training and experience in a general clinical specialty, and in medical education. The posts offer exciting opportunities for developing both your clinical and teaching skills.
These Teaching and Education Fellowship posts are two years and commence in August 2021 and run until July 2023. The posts will be based on the NUMed campus in Johor, Malaysia from August 2021 until the end of July 2022 and from August 2022 to July 2023 the posts will be based in the UK.
Six regional NHS Trusts now collaborate closely with Newcastle University Medicine Malaysia (NUMed Malaysia), with the support of the Northern Deanery, in hosting this novel programme that commenced in 2014. The Trusts are part of Newcastle University’s regional medical school and play a major role in directing and delivering undergraduate teaching.
The NHS Trusts are
- County Durham & Darlington
- Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals
- North Tees & Hartlepool
- South Tees Hospitals
- South Tyneside and Sunderland
- Northumberland, Tyne and Wear Mental Health Trust
The first year of the post will be hosted by Newcastle University Medicine Malaysia on campus and at associated clinical facilities within Johor, Malaysia as part of the clinical teaching faculty of NUMed Malaysia. The duties will comprise teaching of clinical knowledge and skills to all stages of medical students. The second year will be within the Northern Deanery, at a hospital within one of the partner Trusts, and will have both clinical and teaching responsibilities.
Informal enquiries should be made to to Chris Baldwin at firstname.lastname@example.org or Philippa Marsden at email@example.com.
• To provide the Clinical Teaching Fellow with experience and clinical training in general (internal) medicine.
• To provide the Clinical Teaching Fellow with experience and academic training in developing and delivering clinical teaching.
• To undertake the Newcastle University Postgraduate Certificate of Medical Education, and/or potentially the Diploma depending upon circumstances.
• To deliver excellent teaching to undergraduate medical students at NUMed Malaysia within the campus and associated clinical facilities throughout Johor, Malaysia.
• To deliver excellent teaching of Newcastle undergraduate medical students within the partner Trust.
• To gain guided clinical experience and provide high quality clinical care for patients in the UK.
• To develop knowledge and skills within a general specialty area.
Teaching Development & Training
You will be part of a team of Teaching Fellows who make a very important contribution to developing, coordinating and delivering the undergraduate teaching programme at NUMed. Training in teaching methods will be available through the Post Graduate Certificate of Medical Education and ‘Training the Teachers’ seminars at the University of Newcastle upon Tyne Regional Postgraduate Institute, or equivalent.
All Trusts are affiliated to Newcastle University and provide a substantial amount of teaching to medical students throughout the curriculum. Trusts are part of a Base Unit of the Faculty of Medicine of Newcastle University, with four such units co-ordinating, directing and developing teaching. Students spend their entire Stage 3 within the region’s Trusts and general practices. Undergraduate teaching of students for Student Selected Components occurs in Stage 4, and of Stage 5 (Final Year) students throughout the year. Teaching within the Trusts is consistently highly rated by medical students.
The posts will provide teaching to undergraduate medical students on campus and within associated clinical facilities throughout Johor, Malaysia, for NUMed Malaysia. There are currently around 750 students enrolled in total, with a target intake of approximately 140-150 per year.
1. To assist in the development, co-ordination, and delivery of undergraduate teaching on both the NUMed campus and associated teaching hospitals in Johor State. The fellow will participate in developing, delivering, and monitoring courses across the whole programme: from Year 1 to Year 5.
2. To develop the teaching and educational skills of the Teaching Fellow.
3. To carry out a small scale educational project, for example an audit or the development of new innovative teaching material.
4. To undertake the Postgraduate Certificate in Medical Education at NUMed. If
the applicant has already successfully completed the Certificate in Medical Education, there may be an opportunity to complete the Postgraduate Diploma in Medical Education during the Fellowship period.
1. Clinical commitments will be within the negotiated specialty. Appendix 1 has the details of options available.
2. On-call commitments will depend upon the needs of the Department and will qualify for Additional Duty Hours payments.
3. To assist in the development, co-ordination, and delivery of undergraduate teaching.
4. The Fellow will potentially participate in developing, delivering, and monitoring courses across the whole course from Stage 1 to Stage 5.
5. To develop the teaching and educational skills of the Teaching Fellow.
Salary scale is as appropriate to the level of the post-holder on the NUMed salary scale (Year 1) and will be RM7693.70 or RM8654.37 per month depending on qualifications and experience. In addition, the terms and conditions include a return economy class flight from the UK, a general allowance (RM 1633.33) accommodation allowance (RM878.17), and a supplemental allowance (RM3936.75).
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
• Successful completion of Foundation Programme
• Computer literate
• Good communication skills
• Evidence of educational achievement and progression (Desirable)
• Teaching experience (Desirable)
• Good team working (Desirable)
Attributes and Behaviour
• Ability to respond enthusiastically and positively to students
• Demonstrable willingness to work collaboratively with colleagues as part of a team.
• Sensitivity to the views of others
• Enthusiasm for the task in hand
• Must be willing to work flexibly according to teaching workloa
• Registered medical practitioner
• Possession of MRCP or equivalent (Desirable)
Interview date: 04/02/2021
The six NHS Trusts who are involved in this scheme have declared the potential specialties on offer as below. The successful candidates would choose from the options, and the candidate who ranks the highest in the application process would have first choice, and so on. Only one place is available at each NHS Trust.
Newcastle University is committed to being a fully inclusive Global University which actively recruits, supports and retains staff from all sectors of society. We value diversity as well as celebrate, support and thrive on the contributions of all our employees and the communities they represent.We are proud to be an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from everybody, regardless of race, sex, ethnicity, religion, nationality, age, disability, gender identity, marital status/civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, as well as being open to flexible working practices. Requisition ID: 5621