We are a world class research-intensive university. We deliver teaching and learning of the highest quality. We play a leading role in economic, social and cultural development of the North East of England. Attracting and retaining high-calibre people is fundamental to our continued success.
Salary: £25,941 – £27,511 per annum
Closing Date:13 June 2021
As part of the Finance Team in the School of Engineering, you will be responsible in supporting the School-based Finance Business Partner in the provision of a full Management Accounting service.
You will be required to both produce and oversee the generation of financial reports that provide your stakeholders with the relevant information required. This will be in the form of standard routine reports, as well as ad hoc information as requested.
The role will also involve the continuous review of financial processes and reporting, with a view to working with School colleagues to put in place more efficient and effective practices that also align with the University’s recognised financial policies and procedures.
Informal enquiries are welcomed and should be directed to Craig Oliver, Faculty Finance Business Partner via e-mail to Craig.email@example.com
Please ensure you upload a covering letter with your CV. Only applications received via the Newcastle University website will be considered for shortlisting
The post is full time, available from 19 July 2021 to 23 September 2022.
- To plan, organise and monitor the workload of the Finance Support Team in the input of financial transactions and the delivery of reporting information
- To assist the Finance Business Partners in the preparation of detailed annual budgets and forecasts
- To produce a standard suite of reports and performance indicators to an agreed timetable
- To provide advice and guidance on financial issues to Faculty/Professional Services staff
- To liaise with Finance and Planning and other Professional Services where necessary to ensure best practice is adhered to at all times
- To be responsible for the creation and amendment of master data e.g. SAP accounts (Cost Centre and OSR) as required in order to maintain the most effective structures for use across the Faculty
- To identify areas within the School/Unit where best practice could be strengthened by the application of University policies and procedures
- To run month end procedures in order to facilitate the production of monthly/quarterly accounts in accordance with the accounting timetable
- To supervise other members of the School based support team on a day to day basis
The Person (Essential)
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- High degree of literacy and numeracy
- High degree of IT literacy
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal)
- Staff management and leadership skills and experience
- Recent relevant experience from a finance environment
- Experience of the production of management accounting information
- SAP Knowledge (Desirable)
- Experience of working effectively in a large and complex organisation to enable successful collaboration between the Finance, Faculty, School and other University roles(Desirable)
Attributes and Behaviour
- Reviews and revises plans to meet with changing circumstances
- Develops and implements new ideas
- Is supportive of others during change
- Builds on others’ ideas and suggestions
- Willing to change ways and policies in light of new information
- Clarifies understanding of others to avoid misinterpretation
- Chooses communication tools appropriately e.g. selective use of emails and other channels of communication
- Tailors content of communication to the audience, changing style, tone and format appropriately
- Maintains flexibility in work plans to allow for changing circumstances
- Works in a planned and structured way
- Plans workload and tasks in a systematic way
- Uses systems and tools to ensure records and audit trails are clear and up to date
- Educated to at least A Level standard (minimum of 3, grades A – C) or equivalent standard by experience
- AAT qualified (Association of Accounting Technicians) or equivalent (Desirable)
Newcastle University is committed to being a fully inclusive Global University which actively recruits, supports and retains staff from all sectors of society. We value diversity as well as celebrate, support and thrive on the contributions of all our employees and the communities they represent.We are proud to be an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from everybody, regardless of race, sex, ethnicity, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital status/civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, as well as being open to flexible working practices.
The University holds a silver Athena SWAN award in recognition of our good employment practices for the advancement of gender equality. The University also holds the HR Excellence in Research award for our work to support the career development of our researchers, and is a member of the Euraxess initiative supporting researchers in Europe.
Requisition ID: 8741