Faculty of Humanities & Social Sciences
We are a world class research-intensive university. We deliver teaching and learning of the highest quality. We play a leading role in economic, social and cultural development of the North East of England. Attracting and retaining high-calibre people is fundamental to our continued success.
Salary: £21,814 – £25,217 per annum
Closing Date: 1 March 2021
The purpose of this post is to support the provision of post award financial management of research and non-research projects across the University ensuring income due is received in a timely manner to maximise cash flow management.
Please ensure you upload a covering letter and CV when applying for this vacancy, only applications received via the Newcastle University website will be considered for shortlisting
The post is full time, fixed term until 20 January 2023.
Informal enquries are welcomed and should be directed via e-mail to Donna Slassor, Financial Support Accountant (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- To create research projects in the SAP financial management system in order to facilitate the most effective structure to ensure appropriate controls are embedded
- To be responsible for the preparation and timely submission of starting certificates to ensure grants start within the required timescales so as to avoid financial penalties
- To produce research invoices/financial statements to specific deadlines and with regard to funder regulations and University policies
- To prepare audit files to ensure funder, University and statutory regulations are fulfilled
- To provide comprehensive budgetary information and advice to researchers on the financial aspects of their funding to enable them to discharge their financial responsibilities
- To review and correct research project financial data in order to ensure funder conditions are met and to advise on the maximisation of cost recovery within the appropriate regulations
- To maintain and update data on the SAP financial management system relating to research projects (e.g. structure, budget, and timescale)
- To calculate and check salary award increases and update the salary budgets in projects. Applying to funders for extension in funds where applicable or advising researchers to do so
- To ensure the timely closure of completed research projects in SAP and the completion of final reconciliations
The Person (Essential)
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- You should have recent relevant experience of the set up and financial management of projects, and Research Funder financial knowledge
- High degree of literacy, numeracy and IT skills and experience and have strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Experience in the reconciliation of financial ledgers
- Experience of working effectively in a large and complex organisation to enable successful collaboration between the Finance, Faculty, School and other University roles is desirable along with experience of SAP financial systems
Attributes and Behaviour
- Embraces change, reviewing and revising plans to meet with changing circumstances, changing ways and policies in light of new information
- Communicates effectively, using appropriate tools and methods tailoring content of communication to the audience, changing style, tone and format appropriately
- Plans workload and tasks in a systematic way, ensuring all activities are completed on time using systems and tools to ensure records and audit trails are clear and up to date
- Works collaboratively with others, plays a positive role in teams and establishes and builds good working relationships
- Delivers a high quality service to both colleagues and customers, demonstrating attention to detail and a positive attitude
- Education to at least A level standard (minimum 3 x grades A-C) or equivalent standard by experience
- AAT qualified (Association of Accounting Technicians) or equivalent (Desirable)
Newcastle University is committed to being a fully inclusive Global University which actively recruits, supports and retains staff from all sectors of society. We value diversity as well as celebrate, support and thrive on the contributions of all our employees and the communities they represent. We are proud to be an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from everybody, regardless of race, sex, ethnicity, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital status/civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, as well as being open to flexible working practices.
Requisition ID: 5789