We are a world class research-intensive university. We deliver teaching and learning of the highest quality. We play a leading role in economic, social and cultural development of the North East of England. Attracting and retaining high-calibre people is fundamental to our continued success.
Salary: £22,254 – £23,487 per annumrising to £25,627 with potential progression to £28,756
Closing Date: 31 January 2022
This is an exciting opportunity for a motivated professional to join as a member of the Funding Assurance Team. Funding Assurance Team is a team supporting the development, delivery and compliance of strategic and complex partnership projects.We are seeking a confident communicator with great interpersonal skills and an aptitude for quickly building positive working relationships with colleagues and stakeholders at all levels. You will have the ability to foster and maintain effective working connections as part of our supportive and people focused team. A forward thinking, pro-active and positive “can do” attitude and flexible approach is vital to ensure success in the role.The role will provide comprehensive administrative support to the Deputy Director and Funding Assurance Team, managing and prioritising a demanding and dynamic workload in a professional manner with limited guidance and instruction – using initiative and judgement in order to address issues and resolve problems. Acting as a main point of contact you will support the team in the delivery and compliance of multi-million-pound projects & initiatives and to the Policy Academy Co-Director and Manager, providing administration for the delivery of skills development opportunities to staff and students underpinning policy impact and engagement.
You will play a primary role, acting as a main point of contact providing a professional and customer-focused service and supporting the team in the delivery and compliance of multi-million-pound projects and initiatives.You will also provide support to the Policy Academy Co-Director and Manager providing administration for the delivering of skills development opportunities to staff and students underpinning policy impact.You will have the ability to foster and maintain effective working connections as part of our supportive and people-focused team. A forward thinking, pro-active and positive “can do” attitude and flexible approach is vital to ensure success in the role.
Informal enquiries are welcomed and should be directed to Emma Shorman via e-mail Emma.email@example.com
Please ensure you upload a covering letter with your CV when applying for this role. Only applications received via the Newcastle University website will be considered for shortlisting
This is aFull time, open ended post
- First point of contact to co-ordinate operational activities for the Team, providing professional advice and a customer-focused service. Pro-actively, receive, resolve and respond with correspondence, internal and external enquiries, responding to routine queries or re-routing enquiries where necessary.
- To provide PA and administrative support to the Deputy-Director and FA team to ensure a joined up administrative service is delivered; to identify, implement and maintain effective office procedures.
- Responsible for diary management, arranging appointments and meetings to ensure priorities are met and urgent matters dealt with, keeping track of deadlines and communicating these effectively.
- Lead and support the co-ordination of committees and meetings: preparing agendas, collation and circulation of papers and supporting documentation; taking minutes, and proactively managing actions.
- Responsible for co-ordinating & supporting the delivery of engagement & business events. Supporting the marketing of events, communicating with venues, attendees, presenters and supporting the facilitation of networking activities. This includes activities for the University’s two most strategic site investments of Newcastle Helix and the Campus for Ageing & Vitality.
- Responsible for providing administrative support to the Policy Academy Co-Director and Manager in relation to the delivery and organisation of the annual Policy Academy Fellows Programme, Foundation/Masterclass Workshops and one-off Policy events tailored to local, national, international or a sectoral focus. Maintaining the mailbases, researching relevant information, supporting the Fellows and alumni, highlighting opportunities and liaising with colleagues working on the NU Policy strategy centrally.
- To arrange regional, national and international travel for the Team, ensuring the most efficient use is made of time and cost; and that the appropriate risk management procedures are undertaken. SAP, purchasing and invoicing will be involved.
- Promote equality, diversity, inclusion and respect in all that we do, ensuring that services and systems provided are fair and accessible.
- Contribute to the effective and efficient running of the Funding Assurance Team by contributing to a collaborative team approach, providing assistance to colleagues as appropriate and taking on any other duties within the scope and general nature of the grade, which many be required.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Previous experience in a personal assistant/team support role.
- High levels of initiative and ability to work both independently and flexibly as part of a multi-disciplinary team based on demands of the Service.
- Demonstrable experience of working quickly and accurately to tight deadlines and have the ability to prioritise own work efficiently in order to deal with conflicting priorities.
- Excellent organisational, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to build relationships and networks; and demonstrate excellent team working skills.
- Experience of servicing high level committees.
- Experience of managing confidential/commercially sensitive information, maintaining high levels of discretion, diplomacy and confidentiality.
- Experience of organising and delivering events, strong attention to detail with a commitment to data accuracy and integrity.
- Promoting a ‘right first time’ and no ‘wrong door’ ethos
- Good level of IT skills, particularly MS Office, Zoom, SAP and an awareness of social media channels.
- Experience of working in a Higher Education or Local Authority environment (desirable)
Attributes and Behaviour
- Works in a well-planned and structured way. Maintains flexibility in work plans to allow for changing cirucumstances.
- Works continually towards achieving success through exceeding the expectations of the area; the University; colleagues and partner stakeholders.
- Has a positive attitude towards continuous process improvement constantly looking for new ways to drive improvements.
- Uses initiative to find alternative ways of doing things making common-sense judgements and clear recommendations.
- Using clear, concise and accurate communication, tailoring the approach accordingly and encouraging a two way communication process.
- Gathering Information: Gathers a broad range of relevant information from internal and external sources.
- Works collaboratively with others, has exceptional interpersonal skills, plays a positive role in teams and establishes and develops relationships where different skills, expertise and opinions are valued.
- Educated to GCSE level (in English and Maths) Grades A-C; or hold a recognised business administration or secretarial qualification (HNC/RSA/NVQ Level 3) or equivalent; and proven experience in a similar role.
Newcastle University is committed to being a fully inclusive Global University which actively recruits, supports and retains colleagues from all sectors of society. We value diversity as well as celebrate, support and thrive on the contributions of all our employees and the communities they represent.We are proud to be an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from everybody, regardless of race, sex, ethnicity, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital status/civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, as well as being open to flexible working practices.
The University holds a silver Athena SWAN award in recognition of our good employment practices for the advancement of gender equality. The University also holds the HR Excellence in Research award for our work to support the career development of our researchers, and is a member of the Euraxess initiative supporting researchers in Europe.
We understand how important the full employment package is to our colleagues at Newcastle University and we are committed to providing a great range of benefits and discounts for all. You can learn more about what is available here on ourBenefitsWebsite page.
Requisition ID: 15141