We are a world class research-intensive university. We deliver teaching and learning of the highest quality. We play a leading role in economic, social and cultural development of the North East of England. Attracting and retaining high-calibre people is fundamental to our continued success.
Salary: £19,133 per annum
Closing Date: 4 March 2021
To provide clerical, secretarial, financial and project administration to enable staff within Careers to carry out the Service’s activities and deliver on their outputs.
Working closely with the Office Services Manager to ensure the smooth day to day running of the Careers Service administrative processes. General duties will include (but are not limited to) servicing meetings, financial administration using the SAP system and acting as initial point of contact for students and colleagues engaging with the Careers Service.
You will be committed to providing a high level of customer service to both University staff and students, together with the ability to problem solve and use your initiative. You should be able to work as part of a team, have excellent communication skills and be motivated to meet demanding targets.
Further information about Newcastle University Careers Service is available at www.ncl.ac.uk/careers/
For informal enquiries about this role please contact Claire Beadling, Office Services Manager, Claire.Beadling@ncl.ac.uk
The post is full time, fixed term until 12 November 2021.
- In conjunction with the Office Manager, provide an integrated, quality administrative support function to all members of staff in the Careers Service to ensure the smooth running of the office:
- Maintain and update filing systems
- Word processing documents and photocopying/printing
- Ensuring requests for catering, travel, stationery and supplies are processed
- Servicing internally/externally organised meetings, including diary organisation, minute taking and follow up actions
- Assist in processing all student and staff expense claims
- Support the Office Manager to maintain systems to support Careers Service productivity, e.g. dealing with room bookings, equipment bookings and defect reporting
- Reviewing existing systems and processes
- To provide support for a variety of student activities both curricular and extra-curricular, including the registration of students, receipt of coursework, updating student records etc.
- Download student work for assessment via Canvas
- Filtering and retrieving data from Campus Management
- Maintaining/updating databases for professional development programmes and centrally delivered accredited modules
- Liaise with students and internal and external deliverers to organise training sessions and meetings
- Ownership and development of the administration processes surrounding the smooth running of the ncl+ award
- Provide initial point of contact for the Service by dealing with, and responding to, face to face, telephone and email enquiries to ensure all customer comments and queries are dealt with in a professional manner
- Assisting the Office Manager in providing financial administration using the SAP system and spreadsheets/databases:
- Processing incoming and outgoing sales invoices
- Raising purchase orders
- Monitoring income and expenditure on specific projects
- Work in conjunction with the Office Manager and the relevant Project Manager to prepare quarterly claims for externally funded projects
- Collect and collate statistics and staff/student participation data
- Continually enhancing knowledge and skills by undertaking training and development as appropriate
- Regular cross working to support other activities
The Person (Essential)
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Competent in the use of Microsoft Office packages, especially Outlook, Word and Excel
- Ability to work to tight deadlines with a high level of accuracy
- Excellent organisational skills
- Evidence of strong customer focused approach
- Team player, able to develop and maintain productive working relationships
- Evidence of good interpersonal and negotiation skills both in person and by phone
- Evidence of good problem solving with ability to use initiative
- Willing to get involved in developments across the Service
- Experience of meeting demanding targets in an office environment
- Experience of arranging meetings and diary management
- Flexible approach to work; willingness to work occasional overtime
- Relevant secretarial/clerical experience in a busy office environment (Desirable)
- Broad knowledge of financial administration and experience in using office financial systems e.g. SAP (Desirable)
- Ability to use Canvas (Desirable)
Attributes and Behaviour
- Gathering information – Gathers a broad range of relevant information from internal and external sources making this information widely available. Uses information to gain competitive advantage
- Communicating – Uses clear, concise and accurate communication, tailoring the approach accordingly and encouraging a two-way communication process
- Team working – Works collaboratively with others, plays a positive role in teams and establishes and grows relationships across the organisation where different skills, expertise and opinions are valued
- Planning and organising – Manages time and resources by prioritising and organising effectively
- Delivering services – Works continually towards achieving success through understanding and meeting or exceeding the expectations of the area, the University, students, colleagues and other stakeholders
- Good level of literacy and numeracy. English Language GCSE grade A-C or equivalent
Newcastle University is committed to being a fully inclusive Global University which actively recruits, supports and retains staff from all sectors of society. We value diversity as well as celebrate, support and thrive on the contributions of all our employees and the communities they represent.We are proud to be an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from everybody, regardless of race, sex, ethnicity, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital status/civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, as well as being open to flexible working practices.
Requisition ID: 5815