We are a world class research-intensive university. We deliver teaching and learning of the highest quality. We play a leading role in economic, social and cultural development of the North East of England. Attracting and retaining high-calibre people is fundamental to our continued success.
Salary: Salary in the region of £38,000 per annum.
Closing Date: This opportunity will close when we identify a suitable candidate. We will contact you within 5 working days of your application to advise you of the shortlisting outcome.
Over the last 18 months, we have reimagined the way we deliver our University IT Services, building a world-class IT department responsive to the needs of our global community. We’re growing significantly and we’ve created new opportunities and made changes to how we work. Our people have been at the centre of this change, with a particular focus on development and opportunities to learn new skills.
This role will work on a wide variety of developments, supporting both in-house developed applications such as the University mobile app as well as working with third party applications to visualise data for staff and students within the University
The successful candidate will have knowledge of web technologies and languages (languages in use include Java and PHP), be comfortable with using web services (mainly REST based API’s) and be able to understand data structures such as JSON and XML.
The University is an exciting and dynamic place to work, dedicated to world-leading education and research. Benefits include excellent pension; flexible working options; a minimum of 37 days holiday (including public holidays); discounted travel for the Metro and local bus services; and discounts for national retailers. You can find out more on our benefits web page.
We are committed to building and maintaining a fair and inclusive working environment and we would be happy to discuss arrangements for flexible and/or blended working.
Informal enquiries may be made to Dave Sharples, Head of Software Engineering and Enterprise Solutions at email@example.com.
- Provision the development, deployment, management and integration of web-based tools, technologies and applications which support collaboration, communication, learning, teaching and research to support the University’s requirements
- Actively develop web services, search technology, usability, personalisation and information design and management to provide consistency across University resources
- Advise on the selection of appropriate technology and functional components to ensure the effective integration of multiple systems and data sources to ensure the correct tools are identified at the scoping stage of a project
- Provide 2nd and 3rd line support for digital publishing services to support service user requirements and react to service incidents while creating SOPs to enable Service Desk to resolve frequently repeated requests at 1st line in order to reduce ticket lifespans
- Operate all necessary proactive and reactive measures in place to ensure service continuity and effectiveness
- Ensure issues are escalated efficiently and ensure management is aware of issues and the consequences thereof
- To assist senior management and other teams within NUIT and elsewhere in the University in the procurement of digital services
- Act as a digital platforms SME and use this knowledge to deliver excellence in operational support, project and change delivery, and help in defining the future strategy
- Understand the Technology Roadmap and assist in its implementation as directed
- Deliver any project or change related activity as part of wider NUIT or NU project teams as required
- Ensure that policies, standards, procedures and guidelines are followed
- Any other reasonable duties that fall within the scope of the post, as allocated by the line manager
- Experience of working in Digital Platforms team in a similar size and complexity organisation
- Technical background in the Digital Platforms technologies used by NUIT
- Experience of delivering Digital Platforms services to a dispersed customer base in multiple locations
- Experience of working with third party vendors and delivering an effective digital service using their services
- Interest in identifying and implementing new and innovative technologies to support customer needs, drive up quality and improve value
- A working knowledge of Cybersecurity processes and practices is essential
- Experience of working with multiple support and resolver groups across a wide variety of technologies
- Able to demonstrate focus on customer needs
Newcastle University is committed to being a fully inclusive Global University which actively recruits, supports and retains staff from all sectors of society.We value diversity as well as celebrate, support and thrive on the contributions of all our employees and the communities they represent.We are proud to be an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from everybody, regardless of race, sex, ethnicity, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital status/civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, as well as being open to flexible working practices.
The University holds a silverAthena SWANaward in recognition of our good employment practices for the advancement of gender equality. The University also holds theHR Excellence in Researchaward for our work to support the career development of our researchers, and is a member of theEuraxessinitiative supporting researchers in Europe.