We are a world class research-intensive university. We deliver teaching and learning of the highest quality. We play a leading role in economic, social and cultural development of the North East of England. Attracting and retaining high-calibre people is fundamental to our continued success.
Salary: £31,406.00per annum
Closing Date: 21 September 2021
We are looking for an Enterprise Adviser to develop and deliver opportunities that enhance the Newcastle University student experience.We want to ensure that more students use the employability benefits of enterprise education to obtain a graduate level destination after graduation or to create their own graduate level destination by choosing to work freelance, self-employed or by starting their own business and where possible, create graduate level opportunities for others.
Working in partnership with internal and external stakeholders, Enterprise Advisers have a particular focus on curricular, co-curricular enterprise and entrepreneurship education.
This role is fixed term for a period of 12 months.
For informal enquiries, please contact Sarah Beech on SARAH.BEECH@NEWCASTLE.AC.UK
- Co-ordinate, develop and promote specific aspects of programme and project delivery, in partnership with others, to enhance the student experience, increase employability and entrepreneurial capability and achievement.
- Specific duties and responsibilities will be allocated across an ‘Education’ thematic area, in the context of Careers Service strategy and its operational portfolio, and in relation to other Enterprise Advisers’ portfolios.
- Ensure all students have curricular and/or co-curricular opportunities to enhance their employability through engagement with enterprise and entrepreneurship education at the Academic Unit and Programme level.
- Proactively work to ensure that opportunities are accessible, inclusive and provide an equitable learning experience for students.
- Contribute to the development, promotion, delivery, assessment, evaluation and dissemination of Careers Service Enterprise and Entrepreneurship modules.
- Lead on the Enterprise aspects of School Employability and Enterprise Action Plans, providing appropriate support to School based Employability and Enterprise Champions and Student Course Representatives.
- Lead on the creation, execution, evaluation and dissemination of Enterprise Challenge events using societal and industrial issues/opportunities to engage students, staff, external partners and employers in creative problem solving and pitching.
- Promote the adoption of enterprise and entrepreneurship education pedagogies through participation in Newcastle University learning and teaching good practice events and forums as well as contributions to professional development activity for academic staff, and the development and dissemination of case studies of effective and innovative enterprise education.
- Maintain an understanding of sector trends in enterprise and entrepreneurship education through active engagement in external practitioner networks and collaborations.
- Provide support to academic staff embedding enterprise and entrepreneurship education into new and existing modules and programmes through the development and management of curriculum development projects.
- Identify, evaluate and keep under review, new and existing curricular and co-curricular provision that develops enterprise skills and/or entrepreneurial capability.
- Develop cross functional co-operation and support, sharing relevant and useful information with others including immediate colleagues in the Careers Service in order to achieve a joined-up approach.
- Undertake appropriate research and monitor and evaluate outcomes so that all work meets the highest standards of quality. Disseminate findings regionally and nationally through conferences, relevant journals and communication channels.
- Communicate and consult with relevant stakeholder (including students, academics and employers) in order to establish and maintain effective working relationships, jointly assess needs, and ensure that targets are met and quality practice is embedded and sustained strategically.
- Prepare and deliver appropriate reports, papers and presentations to a variety of audiences so that the work of the Careers Service is recognised for impact and quality of practice, and contribute quantitative and qualitative data to reporting at the Team, Service, Academic Unit, Faculty and University level as and when required.
- Proactively identify, plan for, engage in and contribute to professional development activities, including peer-to-peer observations, at the Individual, Team and Service level, investing personal effort in enhancing skills and ongoing learning.
- The Person Specification
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Up-to-date knowledge of graduate employability, enterprise and entrepreneurship in a Higher Education context.
- Knowledge of current policy and good practice relating to learning and teaching in Higher Education
- Ability to manage and prioritise a complex, portfolio workload, solve problems and use own initiative appropriately.
- Ability to keep up to date with market trends and anticipate and respond to the future opportunities and needs of stakeholders.
- Ability to work effectively independently and within different teams and groups internal and external to the organisation.
- Ability to engage and animate through face to face and group communication, in person and online through social media and other digital platforms.
- Ability to establish, maintain and communicate within relevant internal and external networks of contacts across a wide range of partnerships.
- Ability to be highly flexible and adaptable in the workplace and manage ambiguity and change positively.
- Successful organisation of curricular and/or extracurricular teaching, learning and development activities involving groups of people and individuals.
- Productive collaborative working with a range of commercial, not-for-profit and public sector organisations.
- Direct engagement with enterprise and entrepreneurship.
- Marketing and communication of a service and/or brand to a diverse audience.
- Recognises the need for change and is forward looking. Promotes the benefits of change to others and regularly comes up with new ideas. Has the willingness to adopt new ways of working and to make improvements.
- Works collaboratively with others, plays a positive role in teams and establishes and grows relationships across the organisation where different skills, expertise and opinions are valued.
- Generates a range of viable options and decides on an appropriate course of action that best fits organisational and area goals.
- Works continually towards achieving excellent service delivery through understanding and meeting/exceeding the expectations of the area, the University, students, colleagues and other stakeholders.
- Understanding Others
- Understands colleagues, students and other stakeholders
- Degree (or equivalent)
- Professional qualification in coaching and/or mentoring.
- Postgraduate qualification relating to business, enterprise and/or education (e.g. Masters Degree, PhD, PGCE).
- Willingness to work irregular hours including evenings, weekends and intensive weeks when required, often involving regional, national and international travel.
Newcastle University is committed to being a fully inclusive Global University which actively recruits, supports and retains colleagues from all sectors of society. We value diversity as well as celebrate, support and thrive on the contributions of all our employees and the communities they represent.We are proud to be an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from everybody, regardless of race, sex, ethnicity, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital status/civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, as well as being open to flexible working practices.
The University holds a silver Athena SWAN award in recognition of our good employment practices for the advancement of gender equality. The University also holds the HR Excellence in Research award for our work to support the career development of our researchers, and is a member of the Euraxess initiative supporting researchers in Europe.
We understand how important the full employment package is to our colleagues at Newcastle University and we are committed to providing a great range of benefits and discounts for all. You can learn more about what is available here on ourBenefitsWebsite page.
Requisition ID: 11605