We are a world class research-intensive university. We deliver teaching and learning of the highest quality. We play a leading role in economic, social and cultural development of the North East of England. Attracting and retaining high-calibre people is fundamental to our continued success.
Salary: £30,942 – £32,817withprogression to £40,322per annum
Closing Date:17August 2021
A fantastic opportunity if you are passionate about creating creative communications and would relish the opportunity to share the many stories of staff and student success and world-reaching and society-changing Faculty research outputs.
As part of the Humanities and Social Sciences Faculty office, you will report to the Head of Student Recruitment and Marketing and provide a high-quality communications service to the Faculty. You will lead on raising awareness of the Faculty brand and enhancing its profile to internal and external stakeholders and influencers locally, nationally, and internationally. To achieve this, you will create highly engaging communication content and deliver it across multiple channels to a wide variety of audiences to enhance engagement and the reputation of the Faculty.
The Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences is an exciting, multi-disciplinary faculty and is structured around ten academic schools, a Confucius institute, and a university-wide language resources centre. The Faculty has a total of 700 academic and research staff and 230 support staff across its range of disciplinary areas. It has a significant and diverse student population, with success in recruiting international students to many areas.
HaSS is open to the world and seeks to address social and global challenges through its thinking, making, and practice. Building on the strong cultural heritage of our disciplines, we value enquiry, exploration, and creativity. We are committed to enabling a supportive culture for our staff and students, which prizes trust and integrity, values diversity, and inclusiveness, and promotes wellbeing in collaborative and inspiring environments.
Our aim is to be renowned nationally and internationally for the excellence of our research, teaching and engagement activities across the creative arts, humanities, and social sciences.
For further information about this post or to have an informal, confidential chat please contact Katrina Savage (Head of Recruitment & Marketing) via email: at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Raise awareness of the Faculty brand and its subject disciplines to stakeholders and influencers locally, nationally and internationally.
- Develop, drive and manage the Faculty communications and engagement strategy and activity across key digital channels to influence and shape perceptions of key audiences, including:
- prospective applicants
- current students
- potential partners
- business and industry collaborators
- potential employees
- Develop a Faculty narrative and core messages for both general and specific target audiences in line with the University’s objectives and values to promote the Faculty to a range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Promote the Faculty as a leading international centre for research and education across the Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Proactively research, develop/write, package and promote stories of staff and student achievements, community contribution and research impact, working closely with colleagues to identify topics to promote – sourcing, developing and editing content, including photographs, video, graphics and social media content.
- Work closely with the Press Office and be the interface to facilitating the inclusion of Faculty research stories in the press.
- Create and manage Faculty social media accounts.
- Develop content strategies to drive visitors to the Faculty website and to also improve the user experience and site performance, employing social media platforms and campaigns (paid, owned and earned) to generate traffic. Undertake regular reviews of the content to ensure it is up to date, correct and fit for purpose.
- Use audience and communications channel analytics and insights to optimise influence and persuasion and encourage advocacy.
- Benchmark, track and report on reputation building using monitoring and analytical tools.
- Ensure messaging is integrated and aligned to wider University communications.
- Build and nurture highly productive relationships with colleagues across the University and work closely with colleagues in the wider Marketing and Corporate Communications Teams.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Highly skilled communications professional with substantial experience in delivering innovative, engaging and successful communications to a wide variety of audiences.
- Well-developed interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills, including influencing and relationship building at all levels of an organisation.
- Extensive experience of developing and delivering co-ordinated and integrated communications strategies.
- Outstanding copywriting and storytelling skills with extensive experience of writing engaging content and turning complex information into engaging copy.
- Solid understanding and experience of using digital marketing tools and channels including website maintenance, social media management and experience of using digital analytics tools to report on campaigns and using data to make recommendations.
- Strong understanding of the importance and best practice of Search Engine Optimisation.
- Experience in identifying and understanding audience needs.
- Proven ability to use initiative, think strategically and adopt a creative approach to problem-solving.
- Proven ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to work effectively without supervision.
- Experience of working in the higher education sector within a communications or marketing role.
Attributes and Behaviour
- Thinking strategically – can see the “big picture”, to think strategically and to manage complex problems and issues.
- Gathering information – gathers a broad range of relevant information from internal and external sources making this information widely available. Uses information to gain competitive advantage
- Communicating – uses clear, concise and accurate communication, tailoring the approach accordingly and encouraging a two-way communication process
- Influencing – thinks about the desired impact required and plans and prepares a suitable approach
- Projects confidence – projects a positive attitude through personal confidence and enthusiasm in order to achieve organisational success. Inspires the trust and confidence of others.
- Understanding others – understands colleagues, students and other stakeholders.
- Creativity – has the ability to develop creative ideas and transform them into practical reality
- A relevant degree or equivalent educational qualification and/or relevant work experience
- Knowledge and understanding of key legislation relating to communications, such as the Data Protection Act 1998
- Relevant professional communications or marketing qualification (desirable)
Newcastle University is committed to being a fully inclusive Global University which actively recruits, supports and retains colleagues from all sectors of society. We value diversity as well as celebrate, support and thrive on the contributions of all our employees and the communities they represent.We are proud to be an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from everybody, regardless of race, sex, ethnicity, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital status/civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, as well as being open to flexible working practices.
The University holds a silver Athena SWAN award in recognition of our good employment practices for the advancement of gender equality. The University also holds the HR Excellence in Research award for our work to support the career development of our researchers, and is a member of the Euraxess initiative supporting researchers in Europe.
We understand how important the full employment package is to our colleagues at Newcastle University and we are committed to providing a great range of benefits and discounts for all. You can learn more about what is available here on ourBenefitsWebsite page.
Requisition ID: 9784