We are a world class research-intensive university. We deliver teaching and learning of the highest quality. We play a leading role in economic, social and cultural development of the North East of England. Attracting and retaining high-calibre people is fundamental to our continued success.
Salary: £30,942 – £32,817 per annum
Closing Date: 10 March 2021
As a member of the Projects & Partnership Team, you will play a primary role to ensure an effective service to the academic community in terms of advice and guidance related to sources of Treasury funding, nationally and regionally, which are applicable to higher education. You will provide effective support to the Senior Projects & Funding Development Manager and Deputy Director in relation to financial and performance related monitoring, claims and reporting, and governance & compliance, relating to the Team’s project portfolio.
Informal Enquiries: Emma Shorman, Senior Projects & Funding Development Manager, Projects & Partnership email@example.com
- To support the Senior Project & Funding Development Manager in the submission of large-scale, multi-million pound, external funding proposals, to Treasury Green Book standard; working closely with academic and professional services staff.
- Co-ordinate and ensure effective servicing of relevant project meetings taking responsibility for the preparation of agendas, papers, minutes and follow-up actions. Support the Senior Project & Funding Development Manager and Deputy Director bring together specialist project and working groups as required.
- To identify new funding opportunities, utilising in-depth knowledge and undertake horizon scanning and research, utilising key networks and intelligence gathering to identify potential funding streams aligning these to the University’s vision and four strategies of Research for Discovery and Impact, Education for Life, Engagement & Place and Global.
- Review of funding contracts, working with the IP & Legal Services Team, and excise timely return to external agencies. Delivery of briefings to project personnel and advise on compliance requirements such as record keeping and legal retention schedules.
- Provide administrative and project support for an assigned project portfolio, taking responsibility for co-ordination of regulatory, governance and compliance guidance.
- Working closely with the Strategic Finance Manager, support the revisions and re-profiling of project budgets involving both capital and revenue expenditure form a diverse range of funding sources with conflicting eligibility criteria and regulations.
- Act as the effective interface, where required, to administrative offices of external funders in support of the Senior Projects & Funding Development Manager providing high-level assistance for financial and output claim queries.
- Provide an effective service to the Faculties and, where appropriate, assume responsibility for the evaluation of changes to projects and manage project re-profiles, including extensions in time and financial adjustments providing briefing and recommendations to Case Officers and Project personnel.
- Act as the main contact point for ongoing delivery/performance queries and liaison roles with key funding agency personnel, administering the contractual changes in projects; anticipating & identifying potential issues, devising and recommending contingency plans to prevent grant clawback and multi-million deficits to the University; mitigating potential reputational damage and ‘black-listing’ for future funding due to poor performance or non-compliance.
- To undertake due diligence on project related information, keeping up to date with new financial regulations, audit and compliance requirements, providing advice and guidance on the interpretations of funding agency criteria. Funding agencies will include national Treasury; UKRI and research organisations; ERDF and UK Shared Prosperity Fund; and devolved government authorities.
- Co-ordinate and oversee the management of inspections from funding agencies, ensuring audits are arranged and undertaken in line with contract terms & conditions liaising with specialised teams including Central Finance, Credit Control, Procurement and Faculties.
The Person (Essential)
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Knowledge and experience of the UK research, or national & devolved government funding, and innovation infrastructure and the opportunities it presents for universities such as Newcastle.
- Understanding and experience of regional economic development issues.
- In-depth knowledge of governance and compliance practices.
- Experience of working with a variety of funding agencies (public and/or private).
- Experience in supporting the development or delivery of- complex, multi-stakeholder funding applications/projects.
- Experience in the development, and management complex budgets & financial claims.
- Experienced in performance management of project finance targets and contract deliverables.
- Skills to undertake analyses and prepare reports and documents.
- The skills and ability to be pro-active and have an active approach to problem solving.
- Excellent team working and people skills, tact and diplomacy when dealing with sensitive and confidential information, and ability to work well under pressure.
Attributes and Behaviour
- Ability to work largely under own initiative, with little direct supervision.
- A consistent process improvement approach, so as to make recommendations on working practices.
- Ability to build and maintain, strong and extensive relationships within the University and with external stakeholders.
- Demonstrate a high level of political acumen, tact and diplomacy.
- Educated to degree level (or equivalent) with relevant experience, OR have extensive relevant experience built up through progressively more demanding roles.
Newcastle University is committed to being a fully inclusive Global University which actively recruits, supports and retains staff from all sectors of society. We value diversity as well as celebrate, support and thrive on the contributions of all our employees and the communities they represent.We are proud to be an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from everybody, regardless of race, sex, ethnicity, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital status/civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, as well as being open to flexible working practices.
Requisition ID: 5798