We are a world class research-intensive university. We deliver teaching and learning of the highest quality. We play a leading role in economic, social and cultural development of the North East of England. Attracting and retaining high-calibre people is fundamental to our continued success.
Salary: £42,149-£44,706, with progression to £50,296per annum
Closing Date: 3 January 2022
Thank you for your interest in joining Newcastle University Advancement, the driving force behind fundraising and alumni engagement at the University.
Our mission is to build a spirit of giving and volunteering that is owned, lived and breathed across the University and to support and connect our global community of 250,000 Newcastle graduates.
For more information about joining us, click here
Newcastle University (NU) Advancement is the driving force behind fundraising and alumni and supporter engagement across the University.
This new senior fundraising role is a key investment in the Campaign for Newcastle, an ambitious multi-year campaign to substantially increase the visibility and scale of philanthropy and engagement across all areas of the University’s activity.
Reporting to the Deputy Director and Head of Philanthropy, you will take lead responsibility for shaping and growing a small team of fundraising professionals working across all areas of regular giving including direct marketing, staff giving, e-marketing and legacies. The role may in the future expand to include event and community fundraising. Your goal will be to grow the number and value of donations, while at the same time strengthening levels of donor retention, in order to build up sustainable income streams that achieve a strong impact.
You will achieve this by developing and implementing an evidence-based strategy for regular giving, managing and co-ordinating the work of the Regular Giving team, liaising with specialist external agencies and developing and monitoring performance metrics in line with the overall targets for the Campaign for Newcastle.
All our teams are highly collaborative, and you will play a key role in contributing to the overall success of NU Advancement. You will also act as a leading ambassador for philanthropy across the University and our supporter communities.
NU Advancement is committed to the professional career development of all our colleagues. You will benefit from a range of excellent development opportunities including internal and external training, active institutional membership of specialist networking groups and opportunities to gain experience of other areas of advancement and University professional services.
We benefit from a modern executive office environment at the heart of the University and Newcastle city centre and are committed to providing opportunities for flexible working, including partial homeworking and flexible hours to suit your circumstances.
For informal enquiries, please contact Paul Tyack at Paul.Tyack@newcastle.ac.uk
We would be happy to discuss flexible working requests and can offer a relocation package for candidates who are outside of the North East.
- To lead an ambitious multi-year regular giving strategy with the goal of substantially increasing the volume, value and range of individual philanthropic support for University priorities
- To design and implement innovative, evidence-based regular giving appeals and campaigns with a focus on donor acquisition and retention. These will include mass market appeals, community and event fundraising, staff and retired staff giving, legacy fundraising and international giving. Testing the feasibility of delivering regular student telethon fundraising and donor relations campaigns will be required
- To lead the Regular Giving team including appointment of new staff, tailoring development opportunities for each team member, carrying out regular supervisions, setting and achieving financial targets and preparing management reports to monitor progress against objectives
- To lead on financial and budget planning for the Regular Giving programme ensuring all that all expenditure is within limits, achieves a strong return on investment and delivers maximum value for money
- To identify the need for specialist agency support as part of the strategy for regular giving and to appoint, negotiate with and set objectives for agencies working with NU Advancement in support of our strategic goals
- To support the Stewardship Officer in the delivery of an effective donor relations plan for regular giving and legacy donors in order to ensure an exceptional giving experience
- To work closely with the Advancement Communications Team in delivering regular, tailored and effectively segmented regular digital communications. This will include content generation that follows the tone of voice, brand guidelines and visual identity for the Campaign for Newcastle
- To work closely with the Advancement Operations Team to ensure that the Regular Giving programme takes full advantage of the analysis and insights that can be achieved through effective use of the University’s supporter database (Raisers Edge NXT)
- To ensure compliance with all legal and regulatory guidelines for ethical public fundraising, including UK GDPR, the Fundraising Code of Practice and the University’s policies for ethical fundraising and acceptance of donations
- To work closely with the Deputy Director and Head of Philanthropy, academic colleagues, professional service colleagues and the Newcastle University Students Union to design new fundraising projects with a compelling and deliverable proposition for philanthropic support
- To work with the Director and Deputy Director on overseas fundraising appeals. This will include delivering tax-efficient giving opportunities for donors in the US and Asia
- To maintain an up-to-date knowledge of the fundraising profession, providing NU Advancement’s senior team with strategic insight on emerging trends in regular giving and digital philanthropy
- To be prepared to work flexible hours including occasional evenings and weekends and to be willing to travel across the UK if required
- To undertake other tasks and projects in support of the mission of NU Advancement
The Person (Essential)
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Management level experience of developing, implementing, and evaluating individual giving strategies or other income-generating activity involving e-marketing and other forms of systematic lead generation
- Substantial project management experience including objective setting, multi-discipline team management, resource allocation, monitoring and evaluation and working in partnership with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders
- Substantial experience of financial and budget management including planning, developing, monitoring and reporting against income and expenditure budgets
- Experience of managing a team including recruitment and induction, effective delegation, developing training opportunities, supervision and performance review and supporting team members to achieve their longer-term career goals
- Experience of selecting, managing and monitoring the performance of external agencies and other suppliers
- Up to date and detailed knowledges of fundraising techniques and legal and governance requirements for philanthropy or detailed knowledge of a closely related profession (for example e-marketing)
- An excellent level of written English including the skills to write high quality and accurate copy for on and offline communications
- Excellent IT Skills including use of MS Office packages (or similar) and formal Customer Relationship Management systems
- Experience of legacy and in memory fundraising
- Experience of donor pool management and donor retention strategies
- Experience of working with student and alumni communities, not for profit fundraising or a closely related field
- Formal project management qualifications and / or Institute of Fundraising qualifications (or equivalent)
- Experience of using Raisers Edge NXT or a closely comparable fundraising CRM database
- Experience of one other fundraising discipline e.g. Major Giving, Corporate Fundraising or Trusts and Foundations
Attributes and Behaviour
- An ability to provide inspirational advocacy for philanthropy across the team and the wider University community
- An ability to identify new opportunities and to generate ambitious innovation in design and development of new fundraising programmes
- Tact, maturity and diplomacy to achieve buy-in for new projects and to manage multiple competing requests for support
- A strong track-record in formulating strategies and taking tactical decisions
- An ability to work effectively in a highly collaborative environment drawing together the skills and experience of colleagues from across the University
- Excellent negotiation and decision-making skills with confidence to make important strategic and operational decisions on a regular basis
- A willingness to learn and a commitment to ongoing professional and career development
- An understanding of and commitment to the values of Newcastle University including the importance of valuing diversity, treating others with respect, kindness, and sensitivity
- University degree or equivalent professional experience
- Institute of Fundraising and / or Chartered Institute of Marketing qualifications or similar professional accreditation (desirable)
Newcastle University is committed to being a fully inclusive Global University which actively recruits, supports and retains colleagues from all sectors of society. We value diversity as well as celebrate, support and thrive on the contributions of all our employees and the communities they represent.We are proud to be an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from everybody, regardless of race, sex, ethnicity, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital status/civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, as well as being open to flexible working practices.
The University holds a silver Athena SWAN award in recognition of our good employment practices for the advancement of gender equality. The University also holds the HR Excellence in Research award for our work to support the career development of our researchers, and is a member of the Euraxess initiative supporting researchers in Europe.
We understand how important the full employment package is to our colleagues at Newcastle University and we are committed to providing a great range of benefits and discounts for all. You can learn more about what is available here on ourBenefitsWebsite page.
Requisition ID: 13916