We are a world class research-intensive university. We deliver teaching and learning of the highest quality. We play a leading role in economic, social and cultural development of the North East of England. Attracting and retaining high-calibre people is fundamental to our continued success.
Salary: £26,341 – £27,924, with progression to £30,497per annum
Closing Date: 9 December 2021
We are seeking to appoint an exceptional individual to further develop our alumni engagement programmes for our global alumni community. We have an alumni community of 250,000 graduates based in 190 countries worldwide. This role is pivotal in delivering meaningful engagement opportunities for this diverse community.
The post is based within Newcastle University’s Advancement office, the the driving force behind fundraising and alumni and supporter engagement across the University.
NU Advancement is committed to professional career development for all colleagues. You will benefit from a range of excellent development opportunities including internal and external training, active institutional membership of specialist networking groups and opportunities to gain experience of other areas of advancement and the University professional services.
Our teams are located in the modern executive office environment at the heart of the University and Newcastle city centre and are committed to providing opportunities for flexible working, including partial homeworking and flexible hours to suit your circumstances. Newcastle is an inclusive community where everyone is treated with dignity and respect.
For informal enquries please contact Lauren Huntington, email@example.com
- Develop and deliver compelling and accessible engagement programmes for international alumni
- Support the development of Newcastle University’s international presence, including aligning alumni engagement with student recruitment, reputation, profile raising and corporate partnerships
- Develop alumni volunteering programmes that encourage and facilitate support from the international graduate community
- Manage and support international alumni societies, including building and maintaining strong relationships with society leaders, providing comprehensive guidance and monitoring group activities to ensure the delivery of meaningful engagement to alumni across the globe
- Support the development of new alumni societies, including identifying opportunities for group development, to enhance Newcastle University’s global reputation
- Foster exceptional working relationships with colleagues in other services to ensure alignment on international strategy, to ensure joint planning and maximise impact
- Lead on the planning and implementation of events for international alumni and ensuring other events are adapted and inclusive of the global alumni community
- Work closely with the Communications team to generate compelling content for international alumni communications and ensure the timely and effective promotion of opportunities, activities and events via appropriate communication channels for international audiences
- Maintain accurate and compliant records and provide reports for senior management on international engagement metrics
- Represent the University at alumni and other events, undertaking international travel, evening and weekend work where necessary
The Person (Essential)
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Experience of working effectively in an alumni engagement or client services role
- Experience of developing and delivering effective customer focused events and activities and measuring their impact
- Experience of building and maintaining relationships with a range of stakeholders from diverse backgrounds, with the ability to maintain engagement remotely
- Excellent project management skills, including time management and organisational skills, with the ability to prioritise workload, work accurately under pressure and to meet multiple deadlines
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, including copywriting, editing and proof reading skills ensuring the style is appropriate to the medium, message and audience
- Knowledge of cultural preferences and communication channels of a variety of international audiences
- Strong interpersonal skills, including listening, negotiating and influencing whilst interacting with a wide range of stakeholders
- Experience working with an alumni database or CRM system
- Fluency in an additional language other than English would be desirable
Attributes and Behaviour
- A strong team player with the ability to develop and maintain productive working relationships both within NU Advancement and with other internal and external stakeholders
- A positive attitude to problem solving
- A helpful, friendly and customer-focused approach
- Keen interest in and sympathy with diverse cultures
- Willingness and availability to work unsocial hours when required (evenings and weekends); occasional travel in the UK and/or overseas sometimes requiring overnight stays
- Degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline with experience in a similar role. Alternatively, substantial demonstrable experience in an equivalent role
- Understanding of the Higher Education sector and it’s global outlook
Newcastle University is committed to being a fully inclusive Global University which actively recruits, supports and retains colleagues from all sectors of society. We value diversity as well as celebrate, support and thrive on the contributions of all our employees and the communities they represent.We are proud to be an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from everybody, regardless of race, sex, ethnicity, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital status/civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, as well as being open to flexible working practices.
The University holds a silver Athena SWAN award in recognition of our good employment practices for the advancement of gender equality. The University also holds the HR Excellence in Research award for our work to support the career development of our researchers, and is a member of the Euraxess initiative supporting researchers in Europe.
We understand how important the full employment package is to our colleagues at Newcastle University and we are committed to providing a great range of benefits and discounts for all. You can learn more about what is available here on ourBenefitsWebsite page.
Requisition ID: 14522