We are a world class research-intensive university. We deliver teaching and learning of the highest quality. We play a leading role in economic, social and cultural development of the North East of England. Attracting and retaining high-calibre people is fundamental to our continued success.
Salary ;£31,406 – 33,309 (with progression to £40,927) per annum
Closing Date: 16 January 2022
Would you like to continue your career in international Higher Education at a Russell Group university? Do you enjoy building partnerships and developing excellent working relationships with internal and external colleagues, both in the UK and overseas?
We have an exciting opportunity for a proactive and diligent colleague to join the International Relations and Partnerships Team at Newcastle University. You will support delivery of the University’s ambitious Global Strategy by providing strategic advice, management and support for a broad portfolio of international relations and partnerships work.
The purpose of the role is to help enhance the global visibility and impact of our research, education and engagement activities by supporting the development of partnership activity in a range of world regions. You will coordinate and contribute to the development of strategic plans, deliver specific international initiatives, and develop and maintain a wide network of internal and external colleagues to help inform effective decision-making on international matters.
We are looking for a colleague with a demonstrable interest in international Higher Education and the opportunities and challenges facing the sector. You will enjoy forming excellent working relationships with internal and external colleagues and will be comfortable working with a high degree of independence on a broad portfolio. You will be able to think strategically whilst still delivering projects at pace. This role is varied and provides opportunities for development in a challenging and rewarding environment. As part of a small but growing team, there is opportunity to influence and shape the role. The post holder will provide leadership, co-ordination and support for a broad portfolio of work with the intention of supporting the University’s strategic and academic objectives for international relations and partnerships.
The International Relations and Partnerships Team provides frameworks of co-ordination and support for academic and professional service units and other teams within the International Office, in a range of areas, including:
a. management and co-ordination of a portfolio of partners and relationships, including partnerships with institutions and a range of other stakeholders such as alumni and our global public
b. information management and data analysis
c. creation of robust, streamlined policy and procedures to facilitate international partnership development
d. management of international projects including the development, renewal and recording of partnership activity, and visit and event management
e. provision of targeted, effective briefings
If you would like to discuss this vacancy please contact Helen Challis, Senior International Relations and Partnerships Manager, email@example.com. Please note the University is closed from 24 December 2021 until 4 January 2022 for the Christmas break.
• Contribute to the development and implementation of international strategies for Newcastle University.
• Responsible for a range of functions related to international relations and partner engagement, taking leadership for an agreed set of priorities as part of a team approach:
o International partnerships and stakeholder relations
o Development of profile, brand and reputation
o Supporting international student recruitment and a range of other business objectives across the University
• Develop and manage excellent and innovative operations to support partner engagement and relationship management.
• Play a leading role in planning for international relations and partnership activity.
• Develop expertise in the acquisition and delivery of intelligence, information and data that is effective and applied to strategic priorities and objectives.
• Develop and maintain positive and effective relationships with
(1) international institutions, sponsors and other international partners, with the aim of achieving strategic objectives, and
(2) staff in academic and professional service units involved in international relations and partnerships to provide effective service and co-ordination.
• Manage and deliver high-profile events and complex visit itineraries both in the UK and overseas, in support of the University’s strategic international engagement, involving high-level representatives of universities, governments, NGOs and corporates, up to the level of university presidents, ambassadors, government ministers and business leaders.
• Develop knowledge and expertise relating to international partnerships and relations and the internationalisation of Higher Education in general.
• Represent Newcastle University in support of events and visits both in the UK and overseas, involving high-level representatives of universities, governments, NGOs and corporates, up to the level of university presidents, ambassadors, government ministers and business leaders.
• Where required, manage, develop and motivate support staff based in Newcastle or overseas.
• Any other duties as directed.
The Person (Essential)
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
• The ability to think strategically and experience of both planning and leading delivery against a range of priorities and targets.
• A track record of achieving results backed by a creative approach to problem solving.
• Excellent organisational and administrative skills, including experience of reporting, and the ability to support the development of highly effective operational procedures and policy.
• Demonstrated relationship management experience with a focus on customer service.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including demonstrated ability to: contribute fully as part of a team; relate to and influence people from diverse
cultural backgrounds; produce high quality writing and presentations.
• A demonstrable aptitude for information management and data analysis / market research.
• A good standard of numeracy, attention to detail, and the ability to work with and leverage digital systems and data.
• A high level of initiative and adaptability, including flexibility regarding working hours and a willingness to travel internationally when required.
• A high level of discretion, tact and diplomacy.
Attributes and Behaviour
• Planning and organising: Effective at organising and managing conflicting delivery targets by prioritising and planning.
• Strategic thinking: Has the ability to see the “big picture”, to think strategically and to manage complex problems and issues.
• Team-working: Works collaboratively with others, plays a positive role in teams and establishes and grows relationships within and outside the University
• Understanding others: understands and makes sense of complex or conflicting data and different perspectives of stakeholders and University areas/faculties/etc.
• A university degree and demonstrable relevant work experience in higher education, or an equivalent combination of relevant experience and/or education/training in other sectors.
Newcastle University is committed to being a fully inclusive Global University which actively recruits, supports and retains colleagues from all sectors of society. We value diversity as well as celebrate, support and thrive on the contributions of all our employees and the communities they represent.We are proud to be an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from everybody, regardless of race, sex, ethnicity, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital status/civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, as well as being open to flexible working practices.
The University holds a silver Athena SWAN award in recognition of our good employment practices for the advancement of gender equality. The University also holds the HR Excellence in Research award for our work to support the career development of our researchers, and is a member of the Euraxess initiative supporting researchers in Europe.
We understand how important the full employment package is to our colleagues at Newcastle University and we are committed to providing a great range of benefits and discounts for all. You can learn more about what is available here on ourBenefitsWebsite page.
Requisition ID: 15181