We are a world class research-intensive university. We deliver teaching and learning of the highest quality. We play a leading role in economic, social and cultural development of the North East of England. Attracting and retaining high-calibre people is fundamental to our continued success.
Salary: £35,845.00 – £44,045.00per annum
Closing Date: 04July 2021
The Economics Group within Newcastle University Business School has over 30 full-time research and teaching staff. We are a collegiate and generalist group with expertise in all areas of economics. We deliver teaching and learning of the highest quality and attract high qualified students to our undergraduate and postgraduate programmes.
The Group has a vibrant Research Community that organises an internal and external seminar series and promotes research around the following sub-themes:
• Applied Time Series Econometrics
• Behavioural and Experimental Economics
• Economics of Safety, Health, Environment and Risk
• Finance, Financial Economics and Financial Econometrics
• Labour, Health, Education and Development Economics
• Macroeconomics, Policies and Institutions in Open Economic Systems
• Spatial, Urban, Regional, International and Industrial Economics
Group members have active funded projects in a range of different areas including the Creative Industries and their internationalisation, Education, Development, Energy, Environmental, and Rural Economics. The Group also hosts a state-of-the-art Behavioural Research Laboratory.
We invite applications from strong candidates from all fields of economics. You will hold, or be close to obtaining, a relevant PhD and will be able to demonstrate a capacity to publish in journals of international standing. You will have: (i) A clear and viable strategy for sustained future research that has the potential to result in world-leading publications; and (ii) the ability to teach economics at undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
Newcastle University Business School is located in Newcastle City Centre and at the gateway to the Newcastle Helix, a £350million partnership between Newcastle University, Newcastle City Council and Legal and General, where business meets Science. Home to 4000 students, the School is in the top 1% of business schools worldwide to hold triple accreditation from the three internationally recognised accreditation bodies: AMBA, AACSB, and EQUIS.
Formal applications should include a curriculum vitae and a job market paper. Informal enquiries may be addressed to Professor John Sessions (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Professor Atanu Ghoshray (email@example.com).
For more information about Economics at Newcastle, please visit: https://www.ncl.ac.uk/business-school/.
- Conduct research that demonstrates international standards of excellence in terms of originality, significance and rigour in Economics and ensure all our students benefit from studying in a research intensive, research excellent academic environment;
- Pursue external funding;
- Demonstrate impact by developing research-based solutions to real-world problems and engage with external stakeholders to develop the impact of your work;
- Supervise PGR students in a research-led university;
- Have a commitment to high quality teaching and learning and student support;
- Coach and support students throughout their studies in the role of personal tutor;
- Set and mark assessment of modules in accordance with University standards and utilise on-line and digitised curricula and education frameworks;
- Contribute to curriculum development;
- Provide education for life, that engages, challenges and supports our students to discover and fulfil their potential both while they are studying with us and once they have graduated;
- Operate as an active academic citizen and colleague in the Business School community;
Person Specification (Essential)
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Evidence of research published in international and world-leading outlets
- Evidence of/potential to develop and secure grant capture and/or impact
- Evidence of the potential to contribute to the Economics Research Community
- Evidence of the ability to provide an outstanding educational experience, rooted in strong disciplinary Economic knowledge that engages, challenges, and inspires our students
- Evidence of the ability to deliver research-led teaching, making effective use of technology to enhance learning
- Evidence of effective use of discplinary and proactive research and a developing international research profile
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent organisational, time management and presentation skills (to be assessed at interview rather than shortlisting stage)
- Demonstration of successful team working and operating as an effective colleague
- Experience or potential for undertaking a management and leadership role
- Commitment to academic citizenship
- Commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion and ethics, responsibility and sustainability
- A good Honours degree in a relevant subject
- PhD (or equivalent) at or near completion – i.e. strictly within three months of submission.
Newcastle University is committed to being a fully inclusive Global University which actively recruits, supports and retains staff from all sectors of society. We value diversity as well as celebrate, support and thrive on the contributions of all our employees and the communities they represent.We are proud to be an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from everybody, regardless of race, sex, ethnicity, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital status/civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, as well as being open to flexible working practices.
The University holds a silver Athena SWAN award in recognition of our good employment practices for the advancement of gender equality. The University also holds the HR Excellence in Research award for our work to support the career development of our researchers, and is a member of the Euraxess initiative supporting researchers in Europe.
Requisition ID: 8606