We are a world class research-intensive university. We deliver teaching and learning of the highest quality. We play a leading role in economic, social and cultural development of the North East of England. Attracting and retaining high-calibre people is fundamental to our continued success.
Salary: Lecturer £35,845- £49,553
Senior Lecturer £51,034 – £59,135
Closing Date:30 July2021
The School of Natural and Environmental Sciences (SNES)is seeking to recruitaLecturer or Senior Lecturerto join our biological sciences research community. You will work in a collegiate environment to conduct excellent research and deliver high quality research-led teaching related to your disciplinary expertise.
Those who work across multiple areas or who complement our existing research strengths are encouraged to apply. You will join an enthusiastic and supportive biological sciences community in SNES. This includes a diverse range of microbiologists, plant scientists, biotechnologists, modellers and ecologists within the Plant and Microbial Biologyand Modelling, Evidence and Policy research groups. Thisis anopportunitieto contribute to interdisciplinary research within the school’s areas of expertise (Ecosystems, BioEconomy, Chemistry and Applied Social Sciences) and across the universities faculties through Newcastle University Centres of Excellence (NuCores).You will be expected to develop an externally funded research programme with excellent outcomes related to nationally and internationally relevant research goals. Alongside research, you will be expected to contribute to our Biology and Zoology undergraduate and postgraduate teaching programmes through research-informed teaching. We particularly welcome applications with teaching leadership experience and who can demonstrate innovative teaching approaches, which will inspire, engage and equip our students to tackle global challenges.
Interviews are anticipated to be held early September.
For further information about these roles and for informal enquiries please contact:Head of School of Natural and Environmental Sciences Professor Robert Edwards; email@example.com
- Lead research activities, individually and/or in collaboration with others, that results in internationally excellent research publications.
- Seek and to obtain external funding to support your research activities.
- Develop and deliver high quality undergraduate and postgraduate teaching that is informed by your research discipline, to supervise undergraduate and postgraduate research projects, and to act as a personal tutor.
- Contribute to curriculum development and review processes, and to administrative boards relating to the management and development of our degree programmes.
- Develop an internationally visible research profile that enhances the academic reputation of the School and University in the biosciences, nationally and internationally.
- Complete and pass the teaching and learning University training programme (NEPS) or to have an equivalent teaching qualification.
- Act in a collegiate manner, and to make a positive contribution to enhancing a working environment that seeks equality, diversity and inclusivity.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- In depth subject knowledge relevant to your research specialism.
- An ability to develop research networks across disciplinary boundaries and sectors (Desirable)
- An understanding of the UK and international funding landscape relating to your research goals.
- Experience of teaching in higher education, with an ability to communicate effectively when supervising and training students.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to develop research networks within your discipline.
- A track record of publishing excellent primary research in peer-reviewed, internationally recognised journals
- Evidence of presentation of work to the national and international research community (e.g. conferences, seminars and similar high profile events).
- Experience of obtaining external research funding as a Principal Investigator.(Desirable)
- Experience of successful leadership of funded research.(Desirable)
- Experience of supervising staff and/or PhD students.(Desirable)
- Experience of developing innovative teaching practices at undergraduate and/or postgraduate levels. (Desirable)
- Experience of leading curriculum development and programme administration.(Desirable)
- Experience of providing mentoring, academic guidance and pastoral support to undergraduate or postgraduate students. (Desirable)
- Participation, management or fundraising activities for outreach or widening participation initiatives e.g. external visits, public lectures or contributions to events and summer schools.(Desirable)
- An ability to develop research networks across disciplinary boundaries and sectors. (Essential)
- Experience of obtaining external research funding as a Principal Investigator.(Essential)
- Experience of successful leadership of funded research.(Essential)
- Experience of supervising staff and/or PhD students.(Essential)
- Experience of developing innovative teaching practices at undergraduate and/or postgraduate levels.(Essential)
- Experience of leading curriculum development and programme administration.(Essential)
- Experience of providing mentoring, academic guidance and pastoral support to undergraduate or postgraduate students.(Essential)
Attributes and Behaviour
- A commitment to foster a diverse and inclusive environment, where colleagues and students are treated fairly and with respect.
- Ability to meet the University’s standard for research excellence
- Communicate complex oral and written information clearly.
- The ability to work as part of a team and on your own initiative.
- Ability and willingness to work in interdisciplinary environments.
- To engage with and respond enthusiastically and positively to students.
- The ability to engage in pastoral care where appropriate.
- Work collaboratively and constructively with all members of staff.
- A PhD in an area relevant to the post (Essential)
- A Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy or equivalent teaching qualification (Desirable)
Newcastle University is committed to being a fully inclusive Global University which actively recruits, supports and retains staff from all sectors of society. We value diversity as well as celebrate, support and thrive on the contributions of all our employees and the communities they represent.We are proud to be an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from everybody, regardless of race, sex, ethnicity, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital status/civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, as well as being open to flexible working practices.
The University holds a silver Athena SWAN award in recognition of our good employment practices for the advancement of gender equality. The University also holds the HR Excellence in Research award for our work to support the career development of our researchers, and is a member of the Euraxess initiative supporting researchers in Europe.
Requisition ID: 9186