Lectureship in Real Estate and Planning
Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
We are a world class research-intensive university. We deliver teaching and learning of the highest quality. We play a leading role in economic, social and cultural development of the North East of England. Attracting and retaining high-calibre people is fundamental to our continued success.
Salary: – £36,382 – £40,927per annum, pro rata
Closing Date: 3 December2021
Newcastle University is home to one of the UK’s most successful and longest-established schools of Architecture, Planning and Landscape, and is undergoing a period of sustained and significant investment in staff appointments and School infrastructure. Recent refurbishments of the Henry Daysh Building complex, is soon to be supplemented by a public urban room and architecture centre, ‘The Farrell Centre’, and the world’s first experimental biological house, ‘The OME’. The school has a dynamic research programme, having ranked 4th in the UK on Research Intensity in the 2014 REF, and offers opportunities to engage not just with research in the school through the Global Urban Research Unit (GURU) and Architecture Research Collaborative (ARC) groupings, but also with Newcastle University’s Centre of Research Excellence on Cities (Cities NUCoRE, https://www.ncl.ac.uk/cities/). This research programme accompanies long-established undergraduate (BA) and graduate studio courses (MA Urban Design; MArch; MA Advanced Architectural Design; Master of Landscape Architecture; MA in Landscape Architecture Studies), programmes in Planning (BA, MPlan, MSc) and interdisciplinary undergraduate (BA) programmes in Architecture & Urban Planning and Geography & Planning. This portfolio of programmes includes professionally accredited programmes by ARB, RIBA, the Landscape Institute, the RTPI and RICS. The School consistently attracts students of the best calibre from around the world.
You will contribute to teaching in the area of real estate and planning, and develop their own area of scholarship, making an important contribution to the school’s RICS accredited programmes, in particular. It is essential that the successful applicant can demonstrate excellence in real estate, and bring established teaching credentials and academic leadership experience. They will be expected to lead and deliver modules, engage with RICS, and be a good academic citizen.
The post is permanent, part time at 60% FTE.
We are looking for a teacher and scholar with outstanding promise. Specific responsibilities include :
- To engage in teaching across the field of Real Estate and Planning
- To undertake administrative duties in relation to relevant taught programmes
- To undertake academic duties as required by the Head of School and subject Directors, and contribute to the development of cross-disciplinary teaching within the School
- To develop scholarship activities in an area of their expertise
- To participate in initiatives to develop additional income streams through research funding or consultancy
- To serve on School, Faculty and University committees where appropriate
- To engage with RICS, the accrediting professional body in relation to the relevant taught programmes
The Person (Essential)
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Excellent teaching experience relevant to the field, especially real estate; enthusiastic, reflective and creative pedagogue; experience in student experience and wellbeing issues; engagement with curriculum development and pedagogical innovation; willingness to participate in international field trips
- Potential to contribute to a curriculum area beyond real estate, within the wider context of planning policy and professional practice and ethics
- Membership of a built environment profession, preferably RICS or an international equivalent (Desirable)
- Experience in, or potential for, extending teaching and scholarship impact by engaging with external stakeholders(Desirable)
- Module or programme leadership in real estate(Desirable)
- Experience of working in a built environment professional context related to real estate(Desirable)
Attributes and Behaviour
- A conscientious teacher who develops good relationships with students, conscious of equality, diversity and inclusion
- Track record in working as a good colleague and academic citizen, willing and able to work collaboratively, including across disciplines and with external partners
- Collaborative, team-working and organisational skills in the development of new and existing programmes, and pedagogy(Desirable)
- Excellent undergraduate and postgraduate qualifications in Real Estate or a cognate area
- Completion of a PhD in a relevant area(Desirable)
- A national or international professional accreditation, oreligibility for professional accreditation, and/or membership of HEA or a recognised HE teaching qualification(Desirable)
Newcastle University is committed to being a fully inclusive Global University which actively recruits, supports and retains colleagues from all sectors of society. We value diversity as well as celebrate, support and thrive on the contributions of all our employees and the communities they represent.We are proud to be an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from everybody, regardless of race, sex, ethnicity, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital status/civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, as well as being open to flexible working practices.
The University holds a silver Athena SWAN award in recognition of our good employment practices for the advancement of gender equality. The University also holds the HR Excellence in Research award for our work to support the career development of our researchers, and is a member of the Euraxess initiative supporting researchers in Europe.
We understand how important the full employment package is to our colleagues at Newcastle University and we are committed to providing a great range of benefits and discounts for all. You can learn more about what is available here on ourBenefitsWebsite page.
Requisition ID: 13541