Library Attendant (Overnight)
Student and Academic Services (SAS)
We are a world class research-intensive university. We deliver teaching and learning of the highest quality. We play a leading role in economic, social and cultural development of the North East of England. Attracting and retaining high-calibre people is fundamental to our continued success.
Salary: £19,209.00 – £19,209.00per annum
Closing Date: 23/11/2021
Library Attendants are essential to the running of the University libraries, working either during core Library service hours or during evening, overnight and weekend opening hours. You will provide excellent customer service, and ensure that the library is opened safely and securely during periods of limited staffing. You may be required to work at any of the Library sites, and duties will vary in emphasis depending on the shifts that are worked.
Previous experience of working in a customer focused service environment is essential. You will possess good interpersonal and customer care skills and the ability to work accurately and with attention to detail.
Mobility and physical fitness consistent with the need to push trolleys, carry parcels and move equipment is essential. You will also be required to undertake mandatory health and safety training relevant to the role.
There are a variety of part time shift patterns available including days, evenings, overnights and weekends, informal enquiries can be addressed to Louise Fitzpatrick at email@example.com
- To provide a reception service dealing with general and directional enquiries, keeping relevant records of these, as required, and referring more complex enquiries to Customer Services staff.
- To use the Library Management system to carry out a range of functions including both customer-facing and stock maintenance activities.
- To provide assistance to customers in the use of a range of Library equipment, and to maintain this equipment as required, for example replenishing printers and photocopiers, and reporting faults as necessary.
- To empty book-bins and load trolleys, and to sort, shelve, tidy and retrieve library materials.
- To carry out first aid and fire safety duties, including supporting the use of EVAC chairs, undertaking routine patrols and safety checks, reporting defects, and testing fire alarms.
- To contribute to overall building safety and security and responding to emergency situations, taking appropriate action to minimise damage or distress, e.g. assisting with emergency evacuations, dealing with floods.
- To carry out incidental cleaning to ensure the good order of the Library, emptying waste bins, taking refuse to appropriate collection points, moving furniture and replenishing sanitary supplies.
- Any other duties within the scope and general nature of the grade which may be required.
The Person (Essential)
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
• Good standard of literacy and numeracy
• Good communication, interpersonal and customer care skills
• Good IT skills, including experience of using packages in the MS Office suite, and ability to use search engines
• Awareness of the range of library services and resources
• Ability to work accurately and with attention to detail
• Ability to work as part of a team and independently
• Experience of working in a customer focused service, and an appreciation of the importance of maintaining a clean and tidy environment
• Capable of pushing trolleys, carrying books and furniture, and of working at height.
Attributes and Behaviours
• Is factually correct and gives consistent information
• Clear and concise; gets the message across to others
• Keeps other team members up to date with progress
• Willing to help others and share workloads
• Keeps other team members up to date with progress
• Works in a planned and structured way
• Ensures that all activities are completed on time to meet set standards
• Uses own and others’ time effectively;
• Pays attention to detail
• Strives to deliver high quality results
• Is enthusiastic in getting the job done on time
• 5 GCSE passes at Grade C or above, or equivalent
Newcastle University is committed to being a fully inclusive Global University which actively recruits, supports and retains colleagues from all sectors of society. We value diversity as well as celebrate, support and thrive on the contributions of all our employees and the communities they represent.We are proud to be an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from everybody, regardless of race, sex, ethnicity, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital status/civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, as well as being open to flexible working practices.
The University holds a silver Athena SWAN award in recognition of our good employment practices for the advancement of gender equality. The University also holds the HR Excellence in Research award for our work to support the career development of our researchers, and is a member of the Euraxess initiative supporting researchers in Europe.
We understand how important the full employment package is to our colleagues at Newcastle University and we are committed to providing a great range of benefits and discounts for all. You can learn more about what is available here on ourBenefitsWebsite page.
Requisition ID: 14532