We are a world class research-intensive university. We deliver teaching and learning of the highest quality. We play a leading role in economic, social and cultural development of the North East of England. Attracting and retaining high-calibre people is fundamental to our continued success.
Salary: £30,942 – £32,817 per annum
Closing Date: 5 March 2021
You will form part of a team responsible for the development, implementation and management of the University’s marketing plans. Responsible for campaign management, they will work in collaboration with channel delivery teams to prepare and execute campaigns based on market insight, and report on their effectiveness.
This role is fixed term until 1 November 2023.
For informal enquiries, please contact Sarah Barksby at email@example.com
• Degree or equivalent relevant experience (Essential)
• CIM Postgraduate Diploma / related marketing qualification (Desirable)
• Working with the Head of Marketing Planning and Campaigns, establish and manage the marketing planning processes and planning requirements. Collaborating with key contacts (Marketing colleagues, National Innovation Centres, Business Development and Enterprise team, and Research colleagues) to inform those plans.
• Assist the Head of Marketing Planning and Campaigns and Head of Enterprise Marketing with the development and delivery of the product and proposition marketing strategy for research and enterprise. Including the development and delivery of annual and campaign marketing plans to align activity.
• Prepare and manage campaign briefs for the marketing delivery teams to inform the delivery of campaigns with clear targeting, messaging and performance guidelines.
• Responsible for the management of research and enterprise propositions development and messaging requirements.
• Work with content delivery team to assist with the multi-channel authoring and editing of content where required, including copy for campaigns aligning with programme and campaign plans, proposition and messaging requirements.
• Collect and use data to inform new campaigns and evaluate existing activity, working closely with channel delivery colleagues and the Head of Marketing Automation and Analytics.
• Brief internal and external teams to deliver campaign activity and facilitate team meetings with channel delivery teams to review campaign effectiveness; what’s working, what needs adjusting and lessons learnt.
• Provide expert market intelligence using KPI and performance monitoring reporting information to monitor the effectiveness of plans and campaign delivery, embedding learnings for future campaign effectiveness.
• Analyse and interpret market research and market intelligence data and reports to extract messaging and insight to inform the development of plans and campaigns.
• Line management responsibilities as / if required aligning with the future development of the role.
• Any other duties within the scope and general nature of the grade which may be required.
The Person (Essential)
Knowledge, Skills and Experience (essential)
• Experience across all marketing channels required to deliver campaigns successfully, including organic social, email, website, SEO, paid social and search.
• Outstanding communication and presentation skills, both oral and written.
• Excellent multi-channel copywriting skills, with an ability to write clearly and accurately in a range of styles appropriate to target audiences.
• Proof-reading skills and exceptional attention to detail.
• Able to communicate effectively with a range of stakeholders.
• Excellent project management skills: to manage campaign delivery through channel delivery teams to meet deadlines for multiple projects and ensure ROI on marketing campaigns.
• Initiative and a creative approach to problem solving and strategic development.
• Analytical and evaluative skills.
• Good numerical skills: using data to target selected groups, as well as analyse the success or otherwise of campaigns.
• Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills.
• Excellent time management skills and administrative skills.
• IT/Web skills.
• Familiarity with use of online content management systems
• Substantial digital and print copywriting experience and experience of writing / producing publicity and marketing materials, preferably in a higher education context
• Experience relating to research and/or enterprise marketing in the HE sector or transferable experience from B2B
Attributes and Behaviour
• Manages time and resources by prioritising and organising effectively.
• Effective at organising and managing heavy and complex workload
• Sets own priorities in conjunction with team and area objectives
• Uses systems and tools to ensure records and audit trails are clear and up to date
• Works collaboratively with others, plays a positive role in teams and establishes and grows relationships across the project where different skills, expertise and opinions are valued.
• Respects the expertise and contribution of others even if own opinion is different
• Keeps other team members up to date with progress
• Willing to help others and share workloads
• Generates a range of viable options and decides on an appropriate course of action that best fits organisational and area goals
• Uses initiative to sort things out, is enterprising in effective use of material, financial and human resources
• Confidently deals with a broad range of information
• Keeps an open mind to alternative ways of doing things
• Uses clear, concise and accurate communication, tailoring the approach accordingly and encouraging a two way communication process.
• Is factually correct and gives consistent verbal and non-verbal messages
• Chooses communication tools appropriately e.g. selective use of e-mails and other channels of communication
• Uses face to face communication regularly; team meetings, one to ones, informal discussions/chats, briefing sessions etc.
• Tailors content of communication to the audience, changing style, tone and format appropriately
• Gathers a broad range of relevant information from internal and external sources making this information widely available. Uses information to gain competitive advantage
• Has an eye for detail, spotting errors and ensuring accurate information
• Gathers relevant information and facts
• Is thorough in investigating an issue; no stone left unturned approach
Newcastle University is committed to being a fully inclusive Global University which actively recruits, supports and retains staff from all sectors of society. We value diversity as well as celebrate, support and thrive on the contributions of all our employees and the communities they represent.We are proud to be an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from everybody, regardless of race, sex, ethnicity, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital status/civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, as well as being open to flexible working practices.
Requisition ID: 5870