We are a world class research-intensive university. We deliver teaching and learning of the highest quality. We play a leading role in economic, social and cultural development of the North East of England. Attracting and retaining high-calibre people is fundamental to our continued success.
Salary: £30,942 – £44,045 per annum, pro rata
Closing Date:15 June2021
Based within the Marketing Team, you will be responsible for the planning, development, implementation and management of a range of student recruitment online and physical events hosted by Newcastle University.
We’re looking for a manager with substantial experience of event management, who can bring fresh ideas and the project and organisational skills to deliver innovative and engaging events across multiple platforms. They need to be able to engage multiple stakeholders and project manage to deliver large-scale events within a large, complex institution.
You will be responsible for the successful delivery of individual events, including the main University undergraduate and postgraduate open days, key to raising awareness of Newcastle among target markets and meeting student recruitment targets. They will be part of a small team, responsible for both online platform development and management, and physical event delivery, working closely with marketing, student recruitment and other professional services and academic colleagues across the University.
This is a part time positionfor 30 hours per week.
If you would like further information about this role please contact email@example.com
- Lead on the planning, organisation and development of an annual programme of undergraduate and postgraduate virtual and physical events for UK, international and EU audiences, including:
- University Undergraduate Open Days (online and physical) in order to provide potential undergraduate applicants, parents and teachers with the opportunity to visit the University.
- Postgraduate Open Days (online and physical)
- To manage the end-to-end process of event planning, delivery and evaluation, using online project management tools to identify deadlines and track progress, including:planning the timing of our events to meet the needs of ouraudiences and internal stakeholders
- Working closely with Facuty Marketing teams and Student Recruitment to plan and develop a schedule of event content eg online webinars, which meet the needs of our audiences
- Recruiting and training staff volunteers from across the University to support the delivery of events
- Conducting risk assessments to ensure the health and safety of staff, students and event attendees
- To lead the development of high-quality event programme and information materials for example e-books, working with campaign and content teams
- To prepare and manage events budgets and to source suppliers, including the tendering and appointment and ongoing relationship management of our virtual event platform provider
- Responsible for maintaining an online events calendar to ensure coordinated scheduling and the effective promotion of all student recruitment events (including events organised by Faculty Marketing Teams and Student Recruitment)
- Manage the co-ordination of cross-team event planning through the Events Working Group, collaborating with key contacts (Marketing, Student Recruitment, International Office, and Faculty Student Recruitment team colleagues) to inform those plans
- Lead event communications and promotion, working with campaign, paid media, CRM and creative teams to deliver event promotion and information to prospects
- Prepare and manage project briefs for the marketing delivery teams to inform the delivery of events collateral with clear targeting, messaging and performance guidelines
- Work with the content delivery teams, eg CRM to assist with the multi-channel authoring and editing of content where required, including email, web, digital and print assets
- Collect and use data to inform new ideas and initiatives and oversee event evaluation, working closely with the Head of Marketing Automation and Analytics and Market Insights Manager
- Brief internal and external teams to deliver event activity and facilitate team meetings with stakeholders across the Univeristy
- Line management responsibilities as / if required
- Any other duties within the scope and general nature of the grade which may be required. A flexible approach to the pattern of working hours is required at particular points in the year, in order to support major University recruitment events
The Person (Essential)
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Proven experience as an event manager, preferably with some experience of Higher Education
- Knowledge and experience of event delivery through online virtual event platforms
- Excellent project management skills: to manage complex event delivery and stakeholder management
- Experience and skills in event promotion and marketing
- Excellent customer service
- Outstanding communication and presentation skills, both oral and written
- Excellent multi-channel copywriting skills, with an ability to write clearly and accurately in a range of styles appropriate to target audiences
- Proof-reading skills and exceptional attention to detail
- Able to communicate effectively with a range of stakeholders
- Initiative and a creative approach to problem solving and strategic development
- Analytical and evaluative skills
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Excellent time management skills and administrative skills
- IT/Web skills, including use of project management tools, content management systems, and virtual event platforms
Attributes and Behaviour
- Manages time and resources by prioritising and organising effectively
- Effective at organising and managing heavy and complex workload
- Sets own priorities in conjunction with team and area objectives
- Uses systems and tools to ensure records and audit trails are clear and up to date
- Works collaboratively with others, plays a positive role in teams and establishes and grows relationships across the project where different skills, expertise and opinions are valued
- Respects the expertise and contribution of others even if own opinion is different
- Keeps other team members up to date with progress
- Willing to help others and share workloads
- Generates a range of viable options and decides on an appropriate course of action that best fits organisational and area goals
- Uses initiative to sort things out, is enterprising in effective use of material, financial and human resources
- Confidently deals with a broad range of information
- Keeps an open mind to alternative ways of doing things
- Uses clear, concise and accurate communication, tailoring the approach accordingly and encouraging a two way communication process
- Is factually correct and gives consistent verbal and non-verbal messages
- Chooses communication tools appropriately e.g. selective use of e-mails and other channels of communication
- Uses face to face communication regularly; team meetings, one to ones, informal discussions/chats, briefing sessions etc.
- Tailors content of communication to the audience, changing style, tone and format appropriately
- Gathers a broad range of relevant information from internal and external sources making this information widely available. Uses information to gain competitive advantage
- Has an eye for detail, spotting errors and ensuring accurate information
- Gathers relevant information and facts
- Is thorough in investigating an issue; no stone left unturned approach
- Degree or equivalent relevant experience
- Chartered Institute of Marketing qualification or other relevant marketing/communication professional qualification (desirable)
Newcastle University is committed to being a fully inclusive Global University which actively recruits, supports and retains staff from all sectors of society. We value diversity as well as celebrate, support and thrive on the contributions of all our employees and the communities they represent.We are proud to be an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from everybody, regardless of race, sex, ethnicity, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital status/civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, as well as being open to flexible working practices.
The University holds a silver Athena SWAN award in recognition of our good employment practices for the advancement of gender equality. The University also holds the HR Excellence in Research award for our work to support the career development of our researchers, and is a member of the Euraxess initiative supporting researchers in Europe.
Requisition ID: 8543