We are a world class research-intensive university. We deliver teaching and learning of the highest quality. We play a leading role in economic, social and cultural development of the North East of England. Attracting and retaining high-calibre people is fundamental to our continued success.
Salary: £42,149 -£50,296 per annum, pro rata
Closing date: 16th February2022
The UK’s National Innovation Centre for Ageing (NICA) at Newcastle University has been funded by Government and the University to create a world in which we all live better, for longer. We team with innovation experts, industry, academics and the public, to identify, develop and bring to market data driven innovative business models, services and products enhancing life as we age and developing new economic opportunities for organisations while promoting positive impact on society at scale.
The IoCT Project has been part funded by the North of Tyne Combined Authority for 5-years to assist businesses in the region to increase economic growth, create jobs in key NTCA sectors, and ultimately improve resident wellbeing through developing IoCT enabled products and services. We are building, with partners, a World class innovation ecosystem, providing economic and social opportunities and innovations, with a central focus on citizens and community that will mark the region as an international leader for IoCT innovation.All our teams are highly collaborative, and you will play a key role in contributing to the overall success of the IoCT project as well as helping optimise our processes and commitments to design, research and delivery.
The post is full time, fixed term until 30 December 2026.
For informal enquiries, please contact Jessica Dawes, Programme Managerat email@example.com
The National Innovation Centre for Ageing is committed to the professional career development of all our colleagues. You will benefit from a range of excellent development opportunities including internal and external training, access to specialist networking groups and opportunities to gain experience in the wider space of ageing and longevity
We benefit from a brand new office environment, the Catalyst, at the heart of the Newcastle Helix development
We would be happy to discuss flexible working requests and can offer a relocation package for candidates who are outside of the North East.
Could you please ensure your covering letter describes, and provide examples of how you meet the essential criteria in the job description.
- With support from the NICA Senior Management team and Director of NICA (PI), lead on the provision of specialist expertise to inform and shape the overall programme, taking responsibility for ensuring the Cluster is built around world-class knowledge and the latest developments in IoCT
- Using specialist IoCT knowledge and leadership skills, work together with the Programme Manager to develop the programme plan to successfully deliver the project objectives and maximise programme benefits
- Provide senior expertise in relation to business development activities, developing the knowledge and skill base of colleagues working on the programme
- Lead on engaging with commercial organisations, stakeholders and international partners to develop a vibrant, world-class IoCT cluster in which NICA plays a central role
- Create and manage an IoCT Cluster Development group, bringing together key stakeholders to inform activity and cluster growth
- Using specialist knowledge, inform the development and scoping of innovative IoCT projects with commercial clients to meet organisational goals and achieve the programme outcomes required
- Use influence to broker and manage relationships between organisations within and external to the Cluster to develop projects that align to the unmet need of an ageing population, generating and building the pipeline of NTCA businesses accessing project support
- Lead on the development and coordination of a communications plan to raise awareness of the cluster, including producing and maintaining a ‘prospectus’ for the IoCT cluster, articulating the opportunity and value that NTCA businesses have found in the cluster
- Organise and lead a number of targeted marketing and communications events, including a webinar and seminar series
- Attract business leaders to the North of Tyne IoCT Cluster from the UK and abroad
- Develop links to other aligned clusters around the world, raising the profile of the NTCA IoCT Cluster
- Keep abreast of new developments and emerging trends in the areas of IoCT, ageing and longevity to identify and champion new opportunities
- Ensure effective marketing and communication via media and press releases to celebrate the success of Cluster activity and IoCT projects
- Undertake Line Management responsibilities
- Identify own learning needs, to ensure up to date knowledge in the area of IoCT and ageing and longevity. Youwill very quickly be expected to develop a thorough knowledge of the work of the National Centre, its interactions with partner organisations and other stakeholders and the expectations of the Centre for delivery of economic growth and the support of productive ageing
- Contribute to meeting overall objectives of the programme
The Person (Essential)
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Significant expertise and knowledge of global IoT dynamics, processes, value chains, stakeholders, technologies and enablers
- Demonstrated understanding of and experience in ageing and longevity
- Experience in designing and executing complex project plans
- Substantial experience of stakeholder relationship management and/or cluster development activities
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills, including the ability and enthusiasm to communicate with external audiences and negotiate, influence and build relationships with clients and partner organisations at all levels
- Creative thinker, able to develop novel ideas independently
- Excellent project management, planning and organisation skills to manage a varied programme of activity in a dynamic environment, working within general guidelines, using initiative and judgement without recourse to senior colleagues
- Experience of producing high quality outputs with a keen attention to detail, such as reports, marketing publications and presentations
- Excellent teamworking with a positive and supportive attitude and a flexible and collaborate approach to working with colleagues across the university
- Proven experience of a range of IT programmes, especially Microsoft Office
- Experience of establishing working relationships with business associations, business development hubs and clusters related or complementary to this programme
- Business development skills and good understanding of the value chain process and issues, from ideas to market with technology transfer experience
- Experience of developing and leading key meetings and events to successfully
- Experience of working within and across public and private sectors (Desirable)
Attributes and Behaviour
- Influencing Others and Building Relationships
- Influences a range of stakeholders at strategic, managerial, and technical level. Builds and retains good working relationships. Acts as the customer advocate. Persuasive in communication to build commitment and support. Proven ability to network, build and deliver excellent business engagement
- Uses clear, concise and accurate communication, tailoring the approach accordingly and encouraging a two-way communication process; Clear and concise; gets the message across to others; tailors content of communication to the audience, changing style, tone and format appropriately; Can hold attention of others using appropriate techniques; questioning, rhetorical questions, changing tone and pace of voice and animated style
- Works continually towards achieving success through understanding and meeting or exceeding the expectations of project collaborators, the University, students, colleagues and other stakeholders. Is enthusiastic in getting the job done on time and demonstrates high energy and commitment to the delivery of excellent service
Planning and Organising
- Works in a planned and structured way, uses own and others’ time effectively. Sets own priorities in conjunction with team and area objectives. Quickly identifies what is important and prioritises accordingly whilst monitoring and controlling work flow of teams
- Projecting confidence
- Projects a positive attitude through personal confidence and enthusiasm in order to achieve organisational success. Inspires the trust and confidence of others
- Degree or equivalent in-depth knowledge in a relevant data/IoT subject plus commercial or technical experience
- A PhD in a relevant discipline or equivalent research-based expertise (Desirable)
Newcastle University is committed to being a fully inclusive Global University which actively recruits, supports and retains colleagues from all sectors of society. We value diversity as well as celebrate, support and thrive on the contributions of all our employees and the communities they represent.We are proud to be an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from everybody, regardless of race, sex, ethnicity, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital status/civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, as well as being open to flexible working practices.
The University holds a silver Athena SWAN award in recognition of our good employment practices for the advancement of gender equality. The University also holds the HR Excellence in Research award for our work to support the career development of our researchers, and is a member of the Euraxess initiative supporting researchers in Europe.
We understand how important the full employment package is to our colleagues at Newcastle University and we are committed to providing a great range of benefits and discounts for all. You can learn more about what is available here on ourBenefitsWebsite page.
Requisition ID: 15702