We are a world class research-intensive university. We deliver teaching and learning of the highest quality. We play a leading role in economic, social and cultural development of the North East of England. Attracting and retaining high-calibre people is fundamental to our continued success.
Salary: £21,814 – £25,217 per annum
Closing Date: 3 March 2021
Newcastle University is the lead partner for the North East Uni Connect Programme, an OfS funded project supporting young people in the region to progress to higher education.
We are seeking a full time Project Assistant to provide effective, high quality financial processing and administrative support to ensure the smooth running of services to project stakeholders and funding requirements.
Working as part of a small team, you will have a good understanding and previous experience of financial administrative processes, preferably within a higher education setting.
This role is a temporary position for 6 months only, ending 31 August 2021.
For informal enquiries please contact Matthew Stewart, Project Manager email@example.com
- To assist with periodic financial reconciliation processes and other financial tasks such as raising purchase orders, processing partner payments and financial transactions, recording invoices and liaising with University finance teams to create and amend vendors
- To use SAP to interrogate financial transactions including project income and expenditure, recording appropriately on tracking documents to support the Project Manager and Head of Regional Partnerships with the provision of financial reports and updates to multiple stakeholders
- To support the Project Coordinator with the school payment process on an ongoing basis, including accurate tracking of incoming claims, paperwork and resulting payments
- To support the Project Coordinator and Project Manager with annual finance and data audits, plus the collation of documentation and evidence for funder prescribed audits
- To provide general administrative and financial support for the partnership such as record keeping, ordering goods/services, room booking, travel booking, car hire, resource management and filing systems
- Tracking and collation of partnership governance documents, including collaborative agreements, operational working agreements and data sharing agreements, ensuring fully signed copies are obtained and stored appropriately
- To provide administration of our secure online platform, including setting up and managing users and workspaces, supporting with queries, being the point of contact for the partnership, plus supporting the Project Coordinator with the annual contact audit
- To provide data entry support to School and College Programme teams at specific points throughout the year using the Higher Education Access Tracker and under the supervision of the Project Coordinator
- To assist the Project Coordinator with administration of the Higher Education Access Tracker
- To provide administrative support to colleagues in the wider unit and within Widening Participation or Outreach Hub initiatives as directed by the North East Uni Connect Programme Project Managers and the Head of Regional Partnerships
The Person (Essential)
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Excellent Information Technology skills and experience of using Microsoft Office packages (especially Word and Excel), and the use of large databases.
- Experience of SAP database
- High levels of numberacy and literacy
- Knowledge, understanding and previous experience of accounting systems and financial processes including purchasing, recording income and expenditure and financial reconciliation, preferably in a project setting
- Substantial experience of working in an administrative role within a busy and varied environment
- An understanding of data management and data protection issues
- High level of organisational skills
- Good working knowledge of office practices
Attributes and Behaviour
- Good time management and organisation skills with the ability to work with minimum supervision, planning and prioritising own workload
- A Team player, able to initiate, develop and maintain productive relationships
- Ability to build effective relationships with colleagues via phone and email
- Ability to work accurately with attention to detail
- Demonstrates a high level of accuracy and reliability, including ability to work under pressure and cope with a number of conflicting demands
- Ability to work in a confidential manner and deal with sensitive situations including customers who may be upset, assertive, etc.
- Takes a proactive approach to problem solving
- A flexible attitude to work situations
- Educated to A Level or equivalent, or have substantial experience in a finance setting
Newcastle University is committed to being a fully inclusive Global University which actively recruits, supports and retains staff from all sectors of society. We value diversity as well as celebrate, support and thrive on the contributions of all our employees and the communities they represent. We are proud to be an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from everybody, regardless of race, sex, ethnicity, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital status/civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, as well as being open to flexible working practices.
Requisition ID: 5814