Research Associate in antibacterial coatings for orthopaedic implants
Faculty of Humanities & Social Sciences
We are a world class research-intensive university. We deliver teaching and learning of the highest quality. We play a leading role in economic, social and cultural development of the North East of England. Attracting and retaining high-calibre people is fundamental to our continued success.
Salary: £30,942 – £31,866 per annum
Closing Date: 1 March 2021
We are looking to appoint a Research Associate in antibacterial coatings for orthopaedic implants at the School of Engineering at Newcastle University, as part of the recent ORUK research fund 2020 project entitled ” Antibacterial coating via hybrid layer-by-layer deposition system for fighting infections in orthopaedic implants”.
You will create, in collaboration with a world-leading Orthopaedical partner, innovative functional multi-layered coatings by incorporating nano-features and antibacterial agents within the implant surface coating in a controlled and cost-effective manner for clinical applications. Layer-by-Layer film deposition has engendered a high level of interest over the past few decades as a technique to develop thin film layers on the micro- and nano- scale.
For informal enquiries please contact Dr Ana Ferreira-Duarte, Lecturer at firstname.lastname@example.org and Dr Piergiorgio Gentile, Senior Lecturer at Piergiorgio.email@example.com
- Performing original laboratory research and lab scale manufacture using appropriate techniques, approaches and equipment
- Although working under the general guidance of an academic or Principal Investigator, they will contribute ideas, including enhancements to the technical or methodological aspects of their studies, thus providing substantial ‘added value’
- Determine appropriate methodologies for research, with advice and support where required
- Critically appraising and interpreting research findings to understand their significance in both the wider field and as the basis for further investigations
- Working collaboratively and as an active team member in the project, both within the University and with the industrial and academic collaborators
- Present research findings, either at conferences or through publications in reputable outlets appropriate to the discipline and at industrial collaborators
- Contribute to grant applications submitted by others and in time develop own research objectives and proposals for funding
- May contribute to events celebrating the public engagement of science/social sciences/humanities
- Where appropriate, register patents to protect intellectual property
The Person (Essential)
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Knowledge and experience of one or more of materials science, nanotechnology, biomedical/chemical engineering, microbiologist and biology sciences
- Proficient in quantitative data analysis and statistics
- Experience of presenting research work at academic and industrial meetings
- Good information technology and computing skills
- Experience of research with clear transferable skills and some experience or awareness of the research environment
- Abiity to communicate complex information with clarity including presentations at conferences and/or high quality publications
Attributes and Behaviour
- Ambitious with a demonstrable drive to succeed and to produce work at the highest level
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, and should contribute to the academic life of the School/Institute through participation in research seminars
- Capacity for critical and original thought
- Willingness to work flexibly and independently
- Willingness to visit the industrial project partner
- Will begin to interact with researchers in other institutions and start to develop research networks to share information, form relationships for future collaboration and identify potential sources of funding
- Excellent communication skills and willingness to communicate with users of research
- •A PhD and experience in the research area required
Newcastle University is committed to being a fully inclusive Global University which actively recruits, supports and retains staff from all sectors of society. We value diversity as well as celebrate, support and thrive on the contributions of all our employees and the communities they represent. We are proud to be an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from everybody, regardless of race, sex, ethnicity, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital status/civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, as well as being open to flexible working practices.
The University holds a silver Athena SWAN award in recognition of our good employment practices for the advancement of gender equality. The University also holds the HR Excellence in Research award for our work to support the career development of our researchers, and is a member of the Euraxess initiative supporting researchers in Europe.
Requisition ID: 5800