We are a world class research-intensive university. We deliver teaching and learning of the highest quality. We play a leading role in economic, social and cultural development of the North East of England. Attracting and retaining high-calibre people is fundamental to our continued success.
Salary: £25,941per annum
Closing Date:21 June 2021
Newcastle University are looking fora Research and Information Officer to join its Advancement team during an exciting period in its development.The Office for Advancement is responsible for fundraising, donation management and alumni engagement across Newcastle University. Our work provides substantial financial and in-kind support to students and recent graduates and to the University’s research programmes.
The Advancement Operations team provides research, analytical and systems support ensuring fundraising efficiency and compliance with the governance requirements of the Fundraising Code of Practice and the University’s ethical policies in relation to the acceptance of donations.
The main purpose of this established role is to lead and manage a programme of research and information management to maximise the efficiency and impact of our fundraising and alumni programmes. Additional activity will include providing management reports and training and support to internal colleagues.
For informal enquiries, please contact Charlotte Bowe (Data and Analytics Manager) via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• To maintain a research and market intelligence strategy to support the University’s fundraising activity
• To identify, gather and quantify information from public sources on potential funders to assess their capacity to make significant donations and their affinity with the University in order to efficiently direct our fundraising activities
• To develop and maintain an effective management reporting system for measuring the success of the prospect pipeline, working alongside the fundraising team to continually improve potential funder pools
• Analyse and dissect data to make informed recommendations to a range of key stakeholders including the fundraising team, corporate affairs directorate and the University senior management, to optimise fundraising activities
• Organise, analyse and review prospect data to assess fundraising capabilities at monthly prospect pipeline and one to one meetings with canvassers, to ensure that fundraising efforts are targeted toward the best possible prospects to optimise the performance of the fundraising team
• To routinely review procedures, processes and policies relating to the prospect management system, ensuring compliance with relevant data protection legislation, the Fundraising Code of Practice and the University’s policies for the ethical acceptance of donations.
• To oversee and undertake due diligence and acceptance of donation procedures in accordance with the University’s Ethical Policy for the Acceptance of donations.
• To provide training and ongoing support related to the University’s Ethical Policy for the Acceptance of Donations and the Fundraising Code of Practice to the Advancement team and wider University
• To act as an expert user of the University’s fundraising and alumni database in order to provide training and ongoing support to colleagues in the use of the system.
• Other comparable duties as may be required at the request of the Senior Management Team
The Person (Essential)
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
• Experience in generating and analysing research information
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with an ability to prepare written material to a high standard
• Experience of working in a systems-led environment
• Experience of developing and implementing new policies and standard operating practices
• A high level of accuracy and excellent attention
• Experience of planning, designing and delivering effective management reports
• An excellent understanding of data protection legislation and the requirements of compliance with these policies
• Excellent IT skills, with high level experience and knowledge of Microsoft 365 packages (especially excel and word)
• Experience of working in a professional environment requiring a high degree of confidentiality
• Experience of using a customer relationship management system at an advanced level
• Experience of working with sensitive data, and using sound ethical judgement
• Knowledge of the following: Fundraising Regulators Code of Fundraising Practice; the Chartered Institute of Fundraising guide to Major donor fundraising; the Charity Commission Compliance toolkit
• Experience of providing training and / or help desk support to internal colleagues
• Experience of providing research support in the charity sector
Attributes and Behaviour
• Expected to use good judgement with regards to research materials they handle, seeking guidance where required.
• Ability to work within a team and develop effective relationships with a wide range of internal colleagues
• A commitment to providing high levels of service to internal customers
• Manage time and resources by prioritising and organising effectively
• Uses own initiative to problem solve, and understanding when to seek help when required
• Educated to degree level (or equivalent), and/or relevant professional experience in a similar sector
Newcastle University is committed to being a fully inclusive Global University which actively recruits, supports and retains staff from all sectors of society. We value diversity as well as celebrate, support and thrive on the contributions of all our employees and the communities they represent.We are proud to be an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from everybody, regardless of race, sex, ethnicity, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital status/civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, as well as being open to flexible working practices.
The University holds a silver Athena SWAN award in recognition of our good employment practices for the advancement of gender equality. The University also holds the HR Excellence in Research award for our work to support the career development of our researchers, and is a member of the Euraxess initiative supporting researchers in Europe.
Requisition ID: 8724